Gibson Brands Forums

2017 reflections - your favourite concert attended this year

'Scales

The best ones I've been to this year were avenged sevenfold (with disturbed) and queens of the stone age. I liked that both bands actually engaged with the audience, you don't get that a lot these days with large bands. I saw muse last year and Matt Bellamy didn't engage at all

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dub, the first time I saw the Yardbirds, was with Jeff Beck, the second time Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were both in the lineup.

It was not too long, before Jeff Beck left the band, and Page took over full time "Lead" duties.

CB

Damn that’s cool!! How did they sound?

Mates and I were talking about Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath who played in Brisbane a week apart early on the year, but never got ourselves organised. [rolleyes]

Best for me was Dinosaur Jr in the back room of a pub in the small town of Byron Bay not far from here. Just the guys, their instruments and amps on a small stage, but incredibly loud (thanks for the earplugs tip Dub-T-123 [thumbup]) - awesome to see one of my favourite ever legendary bands and a guy who ranks in the top 100 guitarists of all time polls so close up. Highly recommended if you like your music hard and loud!

Glad you got to see them and enjoyed the show so much

i was all set to name a few shows i liked, and then i realized that they were last year. :(

i have been working my butt off since i split with the ex, and here i realize the entire year has passed without my noticing. i do have tix to fu manchu in the springtime though.

[thumbup]

Nice dude.. I love Fu Manchu!!

The best ones I've been to this year were avenged sevenfold (with disturbed) and queens of the stone age. I liked that both bands actually engaged with the audience, you don't get that a lot these days with large bands. I saw muse last year and Matt Bellamy didn't engage at all

QOTSA is so good live. Where did you see them? I want to see them at a smaller venue but it’s so crazy getting their tickets

Wilko Johnson at the RAH.

Nice to see he's still with us!

The Gypsy Kings at the Southbank was a fantastic, really Good Fun gig. Normally the auditorium here is the reserve of the Classical scene. That evening the crowd was on their feet dancing, clapping and singing for two hours...

Also I'd never seen quite so many guitarists on stage at the same time before!

v3_L1435756_lo-res.jpg

Pip.

This was all in one weekend:

Buddy Guy

Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Paul Rodgers

Steve Miller Band

Joe Bonamassa

Stevie Nicks

Buddy Guy was my favorite but they were all fantastic. Paul Rodgers has been one of my favorite singers since the 70's.

My buddy Matt's band The Bronx has a mariachi spinoff. If they come to your town...check em out. 5 punk rock kids from LA playing mariachi, and It's really good. They actually were nominated for a grammy few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YpnSbHtHDg

Here's a nice lil diddy about falling in love with a Tijuana Hooker.

My buddy Matt's band The Bronx has a mariachi spinoff. If they come to your town...check em out. 5 punk rock kids from LA playing mariachi, and It's really good. They actually were nominated for a grammy few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YpnSbHtHDg

Here's a nice lil diddy about falling in love with a Tijuana Hooker.

thats very cool.

QOTSA is so good live. Where did you see them? I want to see them at a smaller venue but it's so crazy getting their tickets

I saw them a few weeks back at Wembley Arena. I think we bought tickets for £45 each about 2 months after they were released. My cousin got one on the day of the gig as well. having spent most of the day of the show drinking with us in London and not wanting to head home early.

I prefer club venue's to stadiums but unfortunately there isn't enough money in it for a band of this size to bother with them

Jason Isbell was pretty damn good.

Jason is a hell of a singer/songwriter/ guitar pkayer. I've yet to see him solo but I saw him a number of times when he was with the truckers and he was killing it then. His DBT stuff was awesome IMHO but his solo stuff has lasting power for years and years. I bet that show was awesome. Hopefully I can catch him when he swings through the lowcountry again.

I am just sick of there new music. Everything has to be a comment of what ever injustice is going on in the world. I get it you have to write about something, but it just bores me.

I agree with you 100% on that. Songs are stories and musicians can tell them however and about whatever they want but when the songs ain't good the songs ain't good. That being said the new DBT stuff (last album mostly) is terrible. More about pushing an agenda than making good music. I saw the truckers for the Dirty South release in athens, GA and it was awesome, saw them at a threat a few weeks after Jason "left", total train wreck. Patterson handed his guitar to his tech and let hime sit in for the better half of the show. Saw them again with John Neff and it was a good concert but without Jason's material as part of the show it just lacked something. I think the best DBT stuff was on Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, & The Dirty South. Everything else is songs from here an there.

In the defense of The Truckers, Jason was a huge drunk at the time. His last show with DBT before being let got was in Richmond. He talked about the last time I saw him in Richmond on the Southeastern Tour. When I see him in Feb., James McMurtry is opening. I'm stoked.

He was doing a ton of coke too. He was also married to Shauna, the bass player for DBT at the time and their marriage was tanking. I think she had a big hand in turning the rest of the band against Jason. Funny because she ditched DBT and took John Neff to start their own thing which hasn't gotten much traction.

It sounds like you are a DBT/Isbell fan so this may be interesting to you as well. I found some interviews a while back that the comedian Marc Maron did with Patterson Hood and Jason (separately) and they are very interesting to say the least. The discuss "the breakup" and all that led up to it, the moving on, reconsiliation between them, ans other life and music related stuff. Worth the time if your interested.

https://youtu.be/qlGYdbBelgY

17626668_1463238000392987_2433711644954600522_n.jpg?oh=de29f0be0587811d2fc6bb29555a0c71&oe=5AC170B4

kansas2014logo-1.jpg

Best concert I've seen in quite awhile & certainly the best this year! You can tell from this picture how close we were to the stage. The concert lasted 2 1/2 hours because this band has been at it for decades & they have a slew of hits. Phenomenal musicians throughout. The crowd was on their feet throughout the show. Killer band! Killer concert! :o

how many original members are left in Kansas?

I saw three really good concerts - Foreigner, Neil Diamond and Chicago. Couldn't pick which one was the best. I have tickets to see Bob Seger when he resumes his tour in 2018 from his surgery. Also, I plan to see the Eagles in April, 2018. I've seen them four times and I'm curious to see how it will be without Glenn Frye.

I generally go to a lot of concerts with this year being a little less than normal. I will list the ones and let you the reader decide what you think might be the best, I loved them all.

Paul McCartney X2

Gary wright/Al Stewart

Jack Johnson

Bob Seger and Grand funk Railroad

Alan Jackson

Dwight Yoakam

Journey/Asia

Tom Petty/ Joe Walsh

Roger Waters

Stephan Stills/Judy Collins

Styx

I on[y have a few to choose from. Since I can't name a favorite, I'll cop out and list them all. rolleyes.gif

I went to a bluegrass festival called DelFest. Saw many great players there including the already mention Bela Fleck.

Saw Metallica for their opening show in Baltimore.

And recently saw Dead and Company featuring John Mayer.

I did not attend any contemporary music performances this year.

I heard/saw the Charleston (South Carolina) Symphony Orchestra and Choir perform Beethoven's Ninth Symphony at the Charleston Gaillard Auditorium in October.

It brought tears to my eyes.

Archived