Gibson Brands Forums

Happy NFBD

sparquelito

(Happy new fretless bass day)

I met an awesome local player today, a fellow named Richard, and crossed his palm with eighty dollars American.

I have always wanted a fretless, but never wished to drop a thousand or two on a new rig.

Enter this happily-beat-up Peavey Patriot (early 1980's) four-string bass, with the original frets surgically removed.

Some guy stepped on the bass some time ago right where a cable was plugged in, and broke the jack-hole fitting at the bottom of the scratch-plate. The previous owner did a nice bit of drilling and mechanic-ing, and so the guitar cable now plugs into a nice new aperture in the lower right bout.

I epoxied a decorative drawer knob into the damaged crater, and she now looks like something that Jaco Pastorius or Pino Palladino might play.

Okay, she looks like something that Jaco Pastorius or Pino Palladino might take one glance at and keep walking past, but I love her already anyway.

Smooth neck, nice balance, and a really sublime tone.

And of course, I have always been a sucker for black trim and natural dark wood grains.

Someday when I change these exceptional smooth strings, I will probably fill in the fret grooves with some boat repair putty, (a la Jaco), but for now, she plays just fine.

She's not The Bass Of Doom, mind you.

I'm thinking that she's more like The Bass Of A Nagging, Disconcerting Depression.

Good times.

:unsure:

180017.jpg

(Happy new fretless bass day)

I met an awesome local player today, a fellow named Richard, and crossed his palm with eighty dollars American.

I have always wanted a fretless, but never wished to drop a thousand or two on a new rig.

Enter this happily-beat-up Peavey Patriot (early 1980's) four-string bass, with the original frets surgically removed.

Some guy stepped on the bass some time ago right where a cable was plugged in, and broke the jack-hole fitting at the bottom of the scratch-plate. The previous owner did a nice bit of drilling and mechanic-ing, and so the guitar cable now plugs into a nice new aperture in the lower right bout.

I epoxied a decorative drawer knob into the damaged crater, and she now looks like something that Jaco Pastorius or Pino Palladino might play.

Okay, she looks like something that Jaco Pastorius or Pino Palladino might take one glance at and keep walking past, but I love her already anyway.

Smooth neck, nice balance, and a really sublime tone.

And of course, I have always been a sucker for black trim and natural dark wood grains.

Someday when I change these exceptional smooth strings, I will probably fill in the fret grooves with some boat repair putty, (a la Jaco), but for now, she plays just fine.

She's not The Bass Of Doom, mind you.

I'm thinking that she's more like The Bass Of A Nagging, Disconcerting Depression.

Good times.

:unsure:

180017.jpg

Congrats on the Fretless. lPcodIX.gif

Five, technically.

Don't judge me!!

:( [blush] :mellow: [scared]

I am afraid there is nothing to be done.

This is incurable and obviously out of control.

However, if you can get to Jan 1st 2018 without buying another guitar......

There may just be a tiny ray of hope.......

I am afraid there is nothing to be done.

This is incurable and obviously out of control.

However, if you can get to Jan 1st 2018 without buying another guitar......

There may just be a tiny ray of hope.......

I truly am hopeless.

Last mid-December, I vowed that I wouldn't buy another guitar until this Christmas.

And then, all in the span of a few months, I have totally submitted to my addiction and purchased:

The novelty 'machine gun' electric guitar

The new Fender Sandblasted Stratocaster Sunburst

The new Gibson Les Paul Faded

The J Reynolds Tele-copy (promptly sold to a friend just a week later)

The Peavey fretless bass, the subject of this thread,

and,

(sitting in a closet unopened, for my Christmas morning delight),

The new Gibson Les Paul Sully Erna Signature.

Shoot, that's six, not five.

They should make a pill or an elixir for somebody like me.

[unsure] :unsure:

Not sure a bass that has had the frets torn out of the neck really qualifies as a "fretless" bass, :rolleyes: but for $80 I guess you can't go wrong. I always thought the skill of playing a fretless bass was being able to place the fingers precisely to get the correct pitch of the note. You will be cheating a little on that with the grooves from where the frets used to be - but will you have to press down right where the fret used to be? Without a fret there and a void instead does it still sound OK?

Archived