Gibson Brands Forums

Scale Length Oddity

Rocky4

I own both a tele and a Les Paul - my experience is completely reversed.

In fact I use .010" on my LP and .009" on the Tele - just to have somewhat matched tension between the two.

But the "non speaking" string length for the High E, B, is longer on a right handed Tele - that could be part of the equation.

If you want shorter non speaking string length - fit a left handed Neck - for the Jimi Hendrix string tension.

On the Tele - Get a sharpie marking pen and mark the High E string at the Bridge and the Nut - watch it move during bends.

On a Tele - when bending the High E - I find I have "push a bit further", to reach pitch on a whole step bend, compared to my Les Paul.

Telecaster Scale Length - 25 & 1/2"

Les Paul Scale Length - 24 & 3/4"

Same string gauge and same string pitch means the Short Scale has to be slacker than the Long Scale.

So the Les Paul will have less tension than the Telecaster and thus feel looser or slacker.

Look at a from the other end of the telescope - a set of 9-42 gauge on the Long Scale Telecaster will feel much the same as 10-46 gauge strings on the Short Scale Les Paul.

Your Telecaster feels easier to bend because of the greater distance the treble strings have between the nut and the tuning peg, whereas the strings on the LP have a shorter run up there - especially top-E. Your bend bends the whole string, and that extra length is a part of the string even though it does not contribute to the pitch.

Telecaster Scale Length - 25 & 1/2"

Les Paul Scale Length - 24 & 3/4"

Same string gauge and same string pitch means the Short Scale has to be slacker than the Long Scale.

So the Les Paul will have less tension than the Telecaster and thus feel looser or slacker.

Look at a from the other end of the telescope - a set of 9-42 gauge on the Long Scale Telecaster will feel much the same as 10-46 gauge strings on the Short Scale Les Paul.

Your Telecaster feels easier to bend because of the greater distance the treble strings have between the nut and the tuning peg' date=' whereas the strings on the LP have a shorter run up there - especially top-E. Your bend bends the [u']whole[/u] string, and that extra length is a part of the string even though it does not contribute to the pitch.

That was one hell of a fine 100th post .

And every word to be spot on truth

There will be different tensile strength depending on brand and type.

The Fender may feel easier the bend - but are you actually playing in tune? In other words - are you reaching say a whole note bend up? or are you just missing your target and sounding flat. When bending strings, its somewhat a logarithmic torque curve.

And the "G" string always will be easier to make those step and a half bends.

I find that new strings have a 'slinky' feel, and do seem to bend easier. Old strings have a tight feel to them as if their elastic properties have been lost over time. Also, there could be set-up differences, and fret height certainly plays a big part in the ability to bend.

Tele's are for Pu$$ys. That's why they feel like they play easier.

They really don't, they just make you think they do.

They buzz.

They humm.

Their little knob falls off.

The only ones you can buy that will intonate, are the ones the Tele snobs don't like.

It's a very large club. Almost as large as the Jellyfishers. they have a heavily moderated forum where they talk all good about Telecasters and feel warm and fuzzy. They are like Telegeeks.

I was almost one, once, then suddenly, I woke up.

Telecasters are actually pretty primative, noisey, twangy sounding guitars.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Wow What happened? The post was my attempt to find out why my Les Paul with its shorter scale is harder to play than my Tele and I get peoples opinions of their favorite guitar. Live and Learn

If your Tele is easier to play than a Les Paul with the same guage strings.

It's because you are a freak of nature.

Get a job at a carnival.......

Go back in time.

"Beam up."

Murph.

Wow, if I hadn't of read the science of why a Tele is easier to play than a LP, I would have sworn the LP is easier to play!

What a revelation!

In truth I have a Deluxe Tele, and a Custom LP....and I've always felt the LP was a little easier for me to play in most respects. I guess it might be the shape of he neck...I dunno...it's one of those subjective feel things.

I really don't have that much trouble switching from an "F" brand to Gibson and back again (and I've used string gauges as heavy as 13's with wound-G's regularly on certain guitars), but I've always had various guitars in my arsenal at different times with different scale lengths and whatnot (my Gretsch's and Dano's again, were unique as well) so I guess keeping familiarity with different axes pays off. One thing I've noticed lately is that a LOT of guys don't play around with the action on their guitars and leave it set to whatever it was when they bought it, and in a lot of cases those harder-to-play ones have terribly high action. Maybe the action on the LP needs to come down some? Just a thought, because that's something that really irks me (and why I can't legitimately "try out" anything hanging at GC).

H-Bomb

I dont like new strings, but I replaced them. The neck and bridge were waaaaaaay out of wack with the new strings on. A few adjustments were made and I have my favorite guitar back. I have been playing for 30 years and have never had this happen before.

Archived