Gibson Brands Forums

Humidity and Solid Body Guitars

SteveFord

For those of us living in cold areas where things get dried out in the Winter, keep an eye on the humidity.

The cheaper Les Pauls don't have the binding on the body and the top cap on my Studio has shrunk a bit. Without the binding to cover it the seam is kind of unsightly.

I didn't think it would matter so much on a solid body but it sure does. I've now got damp sponges in all of my cases.

For those of us living in cold areas where things get dried out in the Winter, keep an eye on the humidity.

The cheaper Les Pauls don't have the binding on the body and the top cap on my Studio has shrunk a bit. Without the binding to cover it the seam is kind of unsightly.

I didn't think it would matter so much on a solid body but it sure does. I've now got damp sponges in all of my cases.

It gets pretty dry in the winter in Indiana and I’ve never had a single humidity related problem to any of my guitars.

I think a lot of the “problems” guys like you have are just being too OCD about your guitars. They’re tools. They get bumped, they get scratched, paint might crack. Who cares?

Some people pay big money for their guitars to look like that.

I monitor my acoustic because I keep it at my place but the issue I have is that most of my electrics/bass' are at my sisters house because whats where my rehearsal place is. The rooms above a car port so its usually quite cold in there and the central heating doesn't do much to reheat the room. We dont generally get as huge a temperature/humidity difference here in the UK as you do in the US but its still worth considering. I have had to do fret filing on an electric not long ago when it started getting colder here

Hmmm, I didn't think about the humidity here, I have double binding on 2 guitars and binding on the Gibson Gold Top and just looked at them. They look fine and I have them at room temperature on the guitar rack. Is it better or worse having them in a case? I have my Ovation in a case. Maybe I should put the Gibson in its case and have them both against an interior wall?

My telecaster sits in the shop all year long. The temp gets down to maybe freezing and up to whatever and the humidity is up and down. As long as the action's nice and high I don't notice any problems [biggrin] -

23658806_10212144783308053_6407620409706599830_n.jpg?oh=418283f86bdb7cc2b40623ba1258484d&oe=5AC22358

Your temp & humidity levels certainly seemed to expand your Fig crop this year :o :)

Perhaps I've been very lucky for all these years but I've neither paid attention to nor noticed any effect of humidity on my solid body guitars. They've been in all environments, or at least my older ones have. They've not been babied but not been abused either but they've been in hot/cold humid/non cars, rooms, clubs, etc. I honestly didn't know that was as much of an issue with a solid body guitar.

Hmmm, I didn't think about the humidity here, I have double binding on 2 guitars and binding on the Gibson Gold Top and just looked at them. They look fine and I have them at room temperature on the guitar rack. Is it better or worse having them in a case? I have my Ovation in a case. Maybe I should put the Gibson in its case and have them both against an interior wall?

Keeping the guitar in the case slows down any temp/humidity change and allows it to adjust without any shock. Its basically the same as how you're supposed to leave a guitar case for ~30 minutes untouched when you take it to a new environment before opening. It can reduce potential cracking to guitar finished as a result also.

Regarding humidity, it will fluctuate depending on the temperature because warm air can effectively hold more water than cool air. Its for this reason we use relative humidity as a reading

Archived