Gibson Brands Forums

It works!

bassetman

Thanks to all. I’m having great fun with it. I built a couple pedals from screw Mac kits . Every one should have one to play with. It even sounds good with the acoustics once I got the compressor figured out a bit. I have a kit to upgrade all the caps . I only did the filter caps to get it going. Should I do the rest ....I’m plenty happy now and Leary of getting over my head. Glad I chose a decent speaker by accident. :). The first time I flipped the switch it seemed to take a loooong time to come on as the tubes warmed. I felt much better when it made good sounds.

Would you recommend the Rex for a silverface as well, BBP? In fact what would be your favorite. I am considering replacing the Weber I have in mine now. Have been leaning toward a Jensen C12 or P12.

I like the Warehouse Guitar G12C and G12C/S for ceramics. They're like Jensens but just a little smoother and not loud like the Cannibis Rex. The G12C/S is the smooth cone version and has less top end than the ribbed cone speaker. I have a G12C/S in the silverface DR and it's really nice. I've had the Cannibis Rex and the G12C in there and they're all good. The Weber F150 is a great speaker too - a little darker than Jensens. The Weber Alnico 12A125A sounds good for an alnico but can't really take the punch that the DR has.

Some speakers have an issue fitting into the silverface DR's without hitting the output transformer. The C-Rex was tight and I had to file down the frame on the OT a little and slide the chassis all the way back to make it fit. [biggrin]

I like the Warehouse Guitar G12C and G12C/S for ceramics. They're like Jensens but just a little smoother and not loud like the Cannibis Rex. The G12C/S is the smooth cone version and has less top end than the ribbed cone speaker. I have a G12C/S in the silverface DR and it's really nice. I've had the Cannibis Rex and the G12C in there and they're all good. The Weber F150 is a great speaker too - a little darker than Jensens. The Weber Alnico 12A125A sounds good for an alnico but can't really take the punch that the DR has.

Some speakers have an issue fitting into the silverface DR's without hitting the output transformer. The C-Rex was tight and I had to file down the frame on the OT a little and slide the chassis all the way back to make it fit. [biggrin]

Thanks for the reommendations, BBP. The Weber I have in there now is the cheaper signature series. But I have a 10A125 in a Princeton. I can plug the deluxe into that one and give it a try. Leaning toward the G12C/S based on your description of it having less top end.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived