Gibson Brands Forums

What Are Your Plans Christmas day?

Digger

I hear we're supposed to have snow for Christmas, finally. We don't get that very often where I am. Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, then on Christmas Day, just me and my wife opening gifts with my kids, ages 19 and 16. I got my mom's stereo and records when she died. She always used to play her Christmas albums that morning for us when we were kids. I've kept the tradition as well Christmas morning. We decorate the house while listening to her records and the tree and the kids help with the tree.

Then, breakfast, coffee, coffee, more coffee, lunch/snack type stuff, watching movies, playing with new stuff, etc. Later that night, her two sons, ages 21 and 28) are coming over for dinner with their girlfriends and our grandbaby. It's his first Christmas and he's 5 months old. Having dinner with them, exchanging gifts, hanging out and talking. They'll probably drag some kind of gaming system into the living room to play their new games or play Pokémon or Yugi-Oh card games. All six kids are into gaming. My wife and I will play with the baby and enjoy time with him and give the kids a break. And, since we're all off work the next day, there may be some sampling of adult beverages.

I guess we're hosting Christmas Eve here for my wife's sister and her exhusband whom she's back with and my 3 kids. Lasagna is traditional on my wife's side so that's what we're eating along with other belly building foods. After Mom died this spring my side is estranged from us.

our 2 youngest daughters & their fiancee's are spending the night, along with their dogs. so besides our 2 Boxers, there will be a Victorian Bulldog & a Australian Shepherd running through the house. I'll be drinking coffee & filming the carnage.

If there’s anything “Australian” in your house, you’d better hide your booze....Grin~

My wife and I will go get dim sum in the morning and then lounge around and eat home made Korean food for the rest of the day at home with her brother and parents. There will be egg nog too.

Dim Sum Christmas morning?

I love Dim Sum and could easily make that a Christmas event here....if only we could get the dim sum~

Starts Friday night with a bunch of muso mates and their girls over here for a BBQ on our deck and plenty of booze and rock n roll - crapping myself whether there's enough gas left in the cylinder for the barbie - Scotsman in me says I gotta run it dry before I take it to the swap n go, the Aussie in me says never ever risk running out of BBQ gas....

Xmas day will be family here for lunch and next door to inlaws for dinner. Looking at the grocery bill my wife racked up yesterday I think it will then be a couple of weeks of eating leftovers.

Mate, a good Aussie should always have a spare gas bottle!

You simply DO NOT run out of gas for the BBQ this time of year!

Sounds like a fun time though and I hope you enjoy it.

I guess we're hosting Christmas Eve here for my wife's sister and her exhusband whom she's back with and my 3 kids. Lasagna is traditional on my wife's side so that's what we're eating along with other belly building foods. After Mom died this spring my side is estranged from us.

it saddens me to think of families being estranged Jim. I know it a reality of life but I wish you were all together on the day.

Life is too short!

We make lasagna every year too! I can't wait.

Hey Cookieman and surfpup, care to share those Lasagna recipes. Love the stuff but each recipe I look at looks like a royal PITA to make. If so, it is what it is, but I'd rather a tried and true than "wing it" first time around, you know?

Hey Cookieman and surfpup, care to share those Lasagna recipes. Love the stuff but each recipe I look at looks like a royal PITA to make. If so, it is what it is, but I'd rather a tried and true than "wing it" first time around, you know?

I make the sauce and drink wine. My wife does all the assembly. I don't think she has a recipe, just alternating layers of sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and the noodles. Mozzarella on top. She even made me a lasagna cake for my birthday once.

I don't follow recipes, but I did write the sauce ingredients down once for my mom. If I can find it I'll add it in below in an edit.

Red Sauce

Ingredients:

2 lbs Italian link sausage

2 lbs ground beef

2 large onions, chopped

4 large carrots, chopped fine

4 tbs garlic

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbs black pepper

Fresh basil, chopped

Whole bay leaves

Dried Italian seasoning

One bottle red wine

Olive oil

Beef base (jar)

4 large cans crushed tomatoes with added puree

2 large cans tomato sauce

1 large can tomato paste

Steps:

- Brown sausage links in olive oil in a very large pot. Cook through then set aside to cool, leaving drippings in pan.

- Sautee garlic, onion and carrots in drippings till tender (add olive oil if needed). Add chopped basil. Deglaze with 1 cup red wine. Leave in pot.

- Add ground beef.

- Slice Italian sausages into half moon slices and add to browned beef, onions, carrots, etc.

- Add at another cup of red wine and two tbsps. of beef base – stir to mix.

- Add 10-12 bay leaves, salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes covered.

- Begin adding cans of crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, stirring frequently

- Add sugar and one more cup of wine, stir and simmer on low for an hour

- Monitor thickness and add paste if necessary to thicken

- Remove bay leaves and you’re done

I like that part LOL. Thx for the recipe, it's about as labor intense as the others I've seen, but I'll give it a go!

If you prefer you can simplify by just browning a little ground meat and adding it to your favorite store bought sauce.

I start with a little sauce in bottom of pan then in this order.

noodles

sauce

ricotta

mozzarella

pecorino romano (grated over that)

then repeat.....

My Dad always made it when he was alive, so my wife and I have kept up the Christmas tradition. Oh and yes there is wine involved in our cooking. Makes for a very merry Christmas

Thx Cookieman. I'm big into the "keep it simple stupid", aka KISS method, so your version looks tempting as well. Thx for the posts!

If all else fails, there's delivery service from local Italian restaurants! [laugh]

Edit: Now back to our regular scheduled program!

Well since mum died I am bereft of her killer wine trifle!

Of course I loved and miss my mum for many reasons......but her trifle was heaven in itself!

So my darling wife has taken up the challenge and has all the ingredients at hand for said trifle. I suggested we’d better have a trial run but nothing has been forthcoming so far.

Keep all your Chrissie presents, just give me trifle!

Now I did meet a lady that makes a pretty good trifle and offered to marry her, but my wife quietly reminded me that I was spoken for....Sigh~

1513730431[/url]' post='1902083']

I love Lasagna and haven't had it for awhile, my wife makes a mean very tasty Lasagna. Takes her awhile to put it together and I don't know her recipe Lol. She learned it from her Grandmother and her Uncle who was a chef. She's a great cook so I'm lucky to have her.

Archived