Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Reflections pt 2 - artists/bands you 'discovered' this year

'Scales

Were there any artists or bands that you hadn't really taken much notice of or listened to keenly in the past that you 'discovered' in 2017, either turned on to by friends, this or other on-line forums, you-tube recommended videos or some other means...could be new up and comers, or maybe you got into the Beatles or Stones having never paid them any attention before...or anything in between?

Me and my buddy were gonna go see them last year when I visited him in Mobile. I have downloaded some of their stuff.

Wife and I went up to Forsyth, GA to see them at a festival and it was cancelled due to thunderstorms. All we got was a rainy night in GA. Bleeech.

They streamed their live appearance at ACL two weeks ago though and they sounded great. I'm sure the recorded show will air soon - though only a half hour of the whole taping which was over an hour.

Although I OP'd this, I can't think of any, which is most unusual because in past several years I could have said the likes of the Saints, Beefheart, Husker Du, Stooges, Motorhead, even Zeppelin - bands I'd liked before but never really got stuck into a deep dive of their albums, bootlegged concerts etc....often off the back of getting a biography and listening as I read. But 2017.....I'm going to have to think hard.....maybe none! [mellow]

Guest Farnsbarns

I was thinking the same. No one this year but normally loads. Because of the Mrs I generally discover someone new, who then breaks out and becomes successful.

We were raving about this chap called Rag and Bone Man a few years ago. No one had heard of him at all but the Mrs was already working on his account in 2013. I'm not keen on the electronic backing that has become part of his style now, but that voice!

Tom Petty, sadly I didn't take much notice of him until he unfortunately passed away, then I saw a tribute to him by Warren Haynes doing Breakdown and suddenly noticed what great songs his are to play live. I now do a couple of Tom's song's with the bad I play with but I get the feeling there may be more in the future.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The two that really stand out as "new" to me are.............

Blackberry Smoke.........LOVE their stuff. Had heard great things, but just got into them this year.

And I saw a band open for Cheaptrick called WATTS.......I've managed to come up with all 4 of their CD's........can't stop playing them...great rock and roll.

NHTom

Were there any artists or bands that you hadn't really taken much notice of or listened to keenly in the past that you 'discovered' in 2017, either turned on to by friends, this or other on-line forums, you-tube recommended videos or some other means...could be new up and comers, or maybe you got into the Beatles or Stones having never paid them any attention before...or anything in between?

Rusty Wright

You guys are going to think this is stupid but....

Hank Williams.

I grew up hearing "Lovesick Blues" and all that. We all did. Problem is, there were no more than a dozen of his songs that have gotten played to death over the years. I'm slowly drinking in the rest of his recordings (poor choice of words maybe).

The songs are simple, they have a driving rhythm...they're just GOOD.

Widespread Panic

Me too!! Sadly I never gave WSP a chance growing up. Being from the Athens, GA area I missed out on a lot of WSP opportunities. Better late than never I suppose, because they are a great band. Although not an original member Jimmy Herring's playing might have been what sealed the deal for me. WSMFP!!

I got a kick out of two I bumped into on YouTube

Mandolin Orange - mandolin and guitar dude & chick duet with originals. I like that combo.

Foxes and Fossils - really nice vocal harmony covers. Their rendition of Suite: Judy Blue Eyes challenges the original.

Archived