Gibson Brands Forums

Jealous

derek R

Did I say jealous

I’m what you would call a bedroom player,I have four Gibson’s and play them the best I can,I try and play classic rock, alt rock any rock just playing for the enjoyment.

I come home today after being away for the holidays and my son comes back with us,

Did I say I’m jealous.

He comes in and picks up my 335 unplugged,he’s walking around the house playing anything from black sabbath to 50s rock and roll and anything in between.

Then!!he goes upstairs and plugs into a crappy peavy amp and starts playing Hendrix and all sorts of other stuff,no pedals no nothing just him.

Did I say I’m jealous.

I can’t get my 335 to do that!!

I’m jealous

I hate to think what he would do with my r7 and double cut junior.

I love my son but man am i jealous.

Derek r

Edit maybe I should practice more

You should be proud of him!

What you need to remember (if you'll forgive the pun!) is that younger people have a better capacity for learning and retaining information, sadly it lessens as we get older. Mine has all but disappeared [confused]

Ian

My oldest son has been playing since 7th grade and he's almost 20 now. If he put a little more effort into it, he would be good. I was very proud when he started playing Roundabout by Yes on his guitar. I didn't even know he had heard of them. He's playing some classic rock such as Kansas, ZZ Top, Zeppelin as well as the heavy metal stuff he loves, like Disturbed, Black Sabbath, Megadeth. I think getting him the Strat really motivated him to play more often. He'll come into my room and plug into my Marshall when he wants. I told him that he shouldn't turn it up past what I usually play because we kind of like our neighbors and they kind of like us and that thing gets loud. I hope he continues playing and getting better. I want to will my guitars to someone in the family rather than have them be sold when I croak.

I am a hobbyist player of 40 years. I introduced my son to guitar at age 14. He surpassed me within two years in every category : technical, tone, theory, etc. And has taught himself mandolin and piano. He is 25 now and is an amateur tenor in a symphonic choir.

I am happy for him.

Yeah, I'm jealous, too.

My son plays the Bass in the High School Jazz band...took all the honors and competitions this year so far...

Plays the tenor Sax as well...They have a backup bass player when he does a tenor number.

Plays the bass clarinet in concert band...I have no idea why, but he seems to like it.

Plays the tenor drums for the marching band...I asked him why..he said drums are the only instrument you hear in marching band.

And he can rip on the guitar...though he feels like he is not vane enough to be a guitar player.

My daughter is studying, and singing Opera. Her music knowledge is getting to be enormous. It's great you son is able to play as easy as he does. The young ones will make you look old every time. QIg3Sct.gif

Of course I’m glad and happy my son can play the way he can,he’s on the autistic spectrum,he can go from guitar to keyboard to drums to bass,he makes electronic music on his computer.

I was just caught in the moment when he came in and so effortlessly picked up my guitar and played what was in his head and made my guitar sound not how I can make it sound,which isn’t hard the way i play.

So yeah i was jealous but in a good way that he can do these things.

As I said earlier I need to practice more.

Derek r

Ha! Maybe you're a better singer. Y'know, presentation of the song is half the battle. Youtube is chock full of players I'm jealous of. Drinking and smoking seems to quell the rage though and it helps my playing sometimes. Before I know it I have mastered another lick. The next morning I can't play it the same. That's OK. Only 6,371 hrs more and I'll master this guitar pickin' thing.

My son is 15 yo, 6'1" and counting (not from me), very handsome (not from me) and must have fashion sense (not from me!) as he was bailed up on Oxford St in London when we holidaying there last month by a Japanese men's fashion mag for an impromptu photo shoot cos they "liked his look"....so I am already totally jealous of the chicks he has not yet pulled.

Archived