Gibson Brands Forums

Epihone Nighthawk - Broken neck - Help

Pulpoensalsa

Hi guys,

I had a car accident some years ago and my fantastic Epiphone Nighthawk was broken: the neck split in two pieces. I tried to fix it for myself but the tunning is lost after 8th fred. Anyway the work to join/glue both parts wasn´t an "excelellent" job cause I am not an expert.

I am looking for ideas about how fix it.

I thought to buy a neck from another guitar that could be fit with my guitar.

Not sure if i should bring the guitar to one "guitar builder", maybe would be the best idea.

I really would like receive advice about how recover my guitar...

Excuse me for my english! and thanks in advance!!!

post-85910-051114800 1514464405_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If you have one of the mid-late 90's Epiphone Nighthawks I'm pretty sure they were all bolt neck guitars. Finding a replacement neck might be a problem as many of them broke off at the headstock and owners were always looking for replacements. And because it's a 25.5" neck it's not easy to source an aftermarket neck. Fender necks won't fit because of neck pocket dimensions. But you can use an F neck if you plug the screw holes and re-drill them. There will be an open area around the sides of the pocket but the neck can be made to intonate.

You probably have a few more options;

Scour The Internet, leaving Wanted To Buy messages everyplace you go. What you are doing now.

Find someone willing to build you a replacement.

Build your own. Not a big deal if you are set up for it. But would cost a bit if you have to acquire all the tools necessary.

Probably your best option would be to watch for a used Nighthawk RI from the more recent run and replace the whole guitar. I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but it is probably the best solution. The RI guitars are generally better made than the earlier run and are setneck which some believe is better.

I own both versions and the newer ones are pretty damn nice guitars. I think you could find a used RI for about the same amount of cash as having someone build you a neck. And you could have a guitar to play while you keep looking for a replacement for the earlier model.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. But I have been down all of the above mentioned roads and this is the best I can offer.

Good luck

Doug

P.S. I like the pickups from the 90's better than the RI's. So if you get a new one you might want to swap them around.

If you have one of the mid-late 90's Epiphone Nighthawks I'm pretty sure they were all bolt neck guitars. Finding a replacement neck might be a problem as many of them broke off at the headstock and owners were always looking for replacements. And because it's a 25.5" neck it's not easy to source an aftermarket neck. Fender necks won't fit because of neck pocket dimensions. But you can use an F neck if you plug the screw holes and re-drill them. There will be an open area around the sides of the pocket but the neck can be made to intonate.

You probably have a few more options;

Scour The Internet, leaving Wanted To Buy messages everyplace you go. What you are doing now.

Find someone willing to build you a replacement.

Build your own. Not a big deal if you are set up for it. But would cost a bit if you have to acquire all the tools necessary.

Probably your best option would be to watch for a used Nighthawk RI from the more recent run and replace the whole guitar. I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but it is probably the best solution. The RI guitars are generally better made than the earlier run and are setneck which some believe is better.

I own both versions and the newer ones are pretty damn nice guitars. I think you could find a used RI for about the same amount of cash as having someone build you a neck. And you could have a guitar to play while you keep looking for a replacement for the earlier model.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. But I have been down all of the above mentioned roads and this is the best I can offer.

Good luck

Doug

P.S. I like the pickups from the 90's better than the RI's. So if you get a new one you might want to swap them around.

I did not know about the mid 90's Epiphone Nighthawks with Bolt on necks.. If it is a 25.5" scale neck, like the current set neck Nighthawk? This would make it more difficult to find since most other Epiphone models use a 24.75" scale neck.. (measuring from the nut to the bridge) .. Finding a 25.5" scale bolt on would be more difficult, but they could be out there... some of the DIY custom builders might be able to help.. good luck..

here is a one from a china supplier on ebay its blank Gibson style 22 fret 25.5 scale..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-guitar-neck-22-fret-25-5-Rose-wood-Fretboard-Truss-Rod-Bolt-On-New-28/263371452855?hash=item3d522971b7:g:Gw0AAOSw4PxaLLyo

or contact....

GIBSON CUSTOMER SERVICE

EMAIL: http://www2.gibson.c.../Talk-2-Us.aspx

PHONE:

In the USA: 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

In Europe: 00+8004GIBSON1 (00+800-444-2766-1)

service@gibson.com

• 4 months later...

Hi, really really thank you guys for your answers. I didn´t see it till now, sorry.

I will check necks/mast with the size that you told me.

And yes, my nighthawk is from 90´s and it was a present from my father and i really would like to recover it.

This summer i will try to fix it.

Thankssssss a lot.

Hi, really really thank you guys for your answers. I didn´t see it till now, sorry.

I will check necks/mast with the size that you told me.

And yes, my nighthawk is from 90´s and it was a present from my father and i really would like to recover it.

This summer i will try to fix it.

Thankssssss a lot.

So, has it been determined whether it's a set neck or bolt-on? The reason that I ask, there was a guy that used to hang around here, that had a similar problem and did put the tele neck on his. It would mean plugging the holes and redrilling, but his turned out great and with a pretty tight joint, too. I'll try to load a few pictures.

Archived