Gibson Brands Forums

OK OK So I'm a Strat guy !!

cookieman15061

After losing my job at the end of August I put any new guitar purchases on hold. I started a new job in October and have been receiving a severance from my former employer so it's been a good end of the year. My wife thought it was time for me to buy something nice for myself for Christmas. I couldn't let the little lady down.

I found this lovely number. An FSR 2005 DELUXE VINTAGE PLAYER 57 STRAT. From the info Fender provided a special run of a 1000 for the NAMM show that year. Beautiful white blonde over ash body. With gold hardware it's very Mary Kaye-ish. I got to play it for a Christmas show and got tons of compliments.

jNeNSyT.jpg

aevOuCY.jpg

Myf3E51.jpg

E3i4exN.jpg

Stunning!

One of my very favourite Strat combinations of all time. I'd even go so far as to say I don't even mind that there are 22 frets on that babe...

Many Congrats!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : Out of interest what neck profile does she have, Cookie?......eusa_think.gif......Soft 'V'?......

Stunning!

One of my very favourite Strat combinations of all time. I'd even go so far as to say I don't even mind that there are 22 frets on that babe...

Many Congrats!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : Out of interest what neck profile does she have, Cookie?......eusa_think.gif......Soft 'V'?......

Yes soft V neck. It also has the noiseless Sumarian cobalt pickups which are growing on me and the S1 circuitry which really gives some nice tone options.

Cookieman,

I'm not normally a fan of gold hardware, but THAT is one gorgeous guitar.

:)

Interesting that gold hardware seems to cause a love or hate response from a lot of people. When I was a teenager I saved up about £200 from a paper round and my parents put £450 towards my first Gibson - a wine red LP studio with GOLD hardware. I was so pleased with it and loved it (still have it today), then one of my friends came round and saw it for the first time. His response was 'the gold looks tacky and cheap, I prefer your Epiphone' (an LP100 with no gold, also still have this guitar too!). I remember thinking yeah, thanks for that negative comment, but did I ask your opinion?! Personally, I always loved the look of gold hardware equally as much as Chrome or Nickel.

Oooh, I'm not having a go at you Sparky btw, you said politely that your not a fan of gold...it just reminded me of my old friend and his response many years ago.

Anyway I concur with everyone else, that's a lovely Strat.

Interesting that gold hardware seems to cause a love or hate response from a lot of people. When I was a teenager I saved up about £200 from a paper round and my parents put £450 towards my first Gibson - a wine red LP studio with GOLD hardware. I was so pleased with it and loved it (still have it today), then one of my friends came round and saw it for the first time. His response was 'the gold looks tacky and cheap, I prefer your Epiphone' (an LP100 with no gold, also still have this guitar too!). I remember thinking yeah, thanks for that negative comment, but did I ask your opinion?! Personally, I always loved the look of gold hardware equally as much as Chrome or Nickel.

Oooh, I'm not having a go at you Sparky btw, you said politely that your not a fan of gold...it just reminded me of my old friend and his response many years ago.

Anyway I concur with everyone else, that's a lovely Strat.

Heh heh heh.

It's all good.

My problem with gold bits on guitars is that (in my experience anyway), they don't age as nicely as chrome or pewter colored metal parts.

I had a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio that I bought brand new (ordered it from Zzounds) and wanted it because the all-black guitar looked really classy with gold hardware and pickup covers.

Years later, the gold finish on everything had tarnished and corroded mildly, and there was no polishing it out.

True, I had lived for a couple of years on the North Shore of Oahu, and the salt air probably didn't help it much.

Anyway, ever since then I have had an aversion to the gold when it comes to guitars.

Freud would probably know what to make of this, I reckon.

:unsure:

Heh heh heh.

It's all good.

My problem with gold bits on guitars is that (in my experience anyway), they don't age as nicely as chrome or pewter colored metal parts.

I had a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio that I bought brand new (ordered it from Zzounds) and wanted it because the all-black guitar looked really classy with gold hardware and pickup covers.

Years later, the gold finish on everything had tarnished and corroded mildly, and there was no polishing it out.

True, I had lived for a couple of years on the North Shore of Oahu, and the salt air probably didn't help it much.

Anyway, ever since then I have had an aversion to the gold when it comes to guitars.

Freud would probably know what to make of this, I reckon.

:unsure:

I know what you mean about gold corroding/ tarnishing, but I guess it's just one of those things you have to expect eventually when you buy a guitar with gold hardware. I don't mind the aged gold look, but sometimes it can look a bit ugly - like when you see some of the old LP Customs from the 50's that have really corroded parts. There is always the option to buy replacement pickup covers, screws and even tuners if the aging has become that bad. My old 1997 LP studio has aged somewhat on the gold parts, but I still like the look of it. The pickup covers haven't gone fully through to the silver colour yet as I looked after it well and rarely gigged that particular guitar. I guess if I had have gigged it regularly I would probably be thinking about replacing all the hardware with new gold parts. Having said that though, the hardware on my 2003 LP Classic 1960 has started to age in the last few years to a dull silver colour, but it certainly isn't as noticeable as with gold. I like to keep my guitars as near to mint condition as possible, but obviously with practises, gigs and general travel (even locally) aging will occur.

The Les Paul that I mentioned earlier, the one with the aged gold parts, it was a heavy beast anyway.

I sold it a few years ago to a fellow who didn't mind the weight, and he definitely didn't mind the hard-miles look of the formerly shiny gold bits.

He paid me my asking price, which was really fair at the time.

[unsure]

If gold parts age or turn into chrome do to speak, clean it up and re-plate it instead of buying new hardware. I’m sure it will save a few bucks and definitely will have parts that fit...

That is a very good idea, I will bear that in mind for a few years in the future.

Archived