Gibson Brands Forums

Sold two guitars this week

sparquelito

I don't know what's wrong with me.

I have managed to sell off two guitars this very week, for a total of five for the calendar year 2017.

Of course, I bought five during the same calendar year.

My total for the house continues to hover at right around eighteen, and that includes guitars, basses, a lap steel, a ukulele, and a cigar box guitar.

I'm beginning to wonder if I am a proper guitar addict or not.

I had actually come to grips with my addiction, and, at some point in September I actually began to embrace my condition, and celebrate it.

But this business of selling them off;

Is it healthy?

Am I in danger of actually growing up, and becoming (shudder) a proper, responsible adult?

This is not the future I had envisioned!

Signed,

Worried in Alabama

:( [crying] :mellow: [scared]

emotions-face-man-afraid-alarmed-an-alarmed-mans-expression-medium-close-up-shot-of-the-face-on-black-background-part-of-a-series-of-depictions-of-feelings-and-emotions-with-professional-actors_41qiynm7x__S0000.jpg

Sounds like you've got buy-sell syndrome, like many of us suffer from! [biggrin]

I've been trying to sell my LP Studio Deluxe II on Reverb for over a month now. I usually have better luck there than I've been having with this one. I felt it was time to down-size a little... to seven guitars, as opposed to eight. Ha!

If anyone's interested (since we no longer have the "Trading Post" around here)… drop me a line! :rolleyes:

No sir.

NO SIR!

I will not be a party to your selling that guitar.

And please don't misconstrue my earlier frank admission to mean that I condone the divestiture of guitars.

By any party!

Moderators, Admins?

Can you just delete this entire thread?

I'm starting to wish I hadn't given in to my melancholy penchant for personal unloading and an unholy confession.

No self-respecting player should ever go into a negative sum state for guitars.

No, not ever.

Don't look to me as an example, please.

Buy, yes.

Acquire also.

But never, ever sell.

I miss those two guitars more than I can express in the here and now!

[crying]

ca29a3dc51f5cf406b35e9447a87ad5f.jpg

14657375_10210587499106623_1244452564863189401_n.jpg?oh=38af616c4031afd8a49fbb545046debf&oe=5AC72570

I constantly struggle with buying more. I've seen a Les Paul I want A traditional Pro 11 I can get for under £1k. $1300. But I want a Knaggs Severn too.

I'm always on the look for budget guitars though.

21731052_10213890684124184_1260736763746496792_n.jpg?oh=5c42d010a96ed01b2d7bc9d2a7f625a7&oe=5ABC152A

I got this 50's Eko 100 for £30. I took it apart, rebuilt it and the action is as low as any Fender. Plus, it's worth 10 times what I paid for it.

If you want it and you can afford it, have it. Life is too short for regrets.

Is it possible to unload more guitars than you have? Y'got me thinking now. [confused]

There was a time when I had 0 guitars, but I dont recall ever owning -1 guitars [confused]

The -negative guitars are the ones that are technically yours, but somebody else borrowed them, or you left them at your drummer's house after band practice.

[crying]

If you want it and you can afford it, have it. Life is too short for regrets.

[thumbup]

I've always done this.

We all get regrets anyway....

We regret NOT having done something as much as the other way round.......

Happy New Year!

nah Sparky,, nothing wrong with turning things over. I have a few guitars I just don't play much, so I've also decided, it's time to move on. I was at around 20 before I started to purge.

I've had a little bit of luck with craiglist, sold a few things, eBay seems to be the surest, and lease hassle method.. I get a lot of BS with craiglist adds.

which I have not had with eBay.

By definition, there is no limit to the number of guitars a collector can have. (A waste of wood and artistry, IMO.) As a player, IMO, you shouldn't own more than you can play. If you don't play them, what good are they?

I sold a guitar last week and had no regrets about it. It was a 2016 Gibson SG 70s Special in the ebony finish. Not a bad guitar but I never used it after I got a HP version of it. No remorse on that one going away. I have gotten rid of some in the past that I have regretted such as the first guitar I ever gigged with, an old Mississippi Mustang, the Peavey T-15.

I ride bikes, road bikes....There is a set of rules for the ownership of bikes, which states the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where "n" is the number of bikes you already own. There is always a case for d-1, which is where the number of bikes you need to own is divorce - 1.......

Don't worry - you're OK. Nothing wrong with selling off a few that aren't played especially if they aren't your highest quality gigging guitars. We'd probably all like to keep every one, but if it's just collecting dust in the corner it's better to let someone else purchase it who will enjoy and play it. Think of it that way - you haven't lost a guitar, someone else has gained one.

I don't know how you guys can part with guitars! I have always had the problem that I just can't bring myself to sell any of them as I feel I have formed a bond with them, or I recall the time when I bought them - the anticipation, the excitement of opening the box for the first time, taking the case out (if it had one), undoing the latches, opening the lid, lifting it out...hmm this is starting to sound like some strange erotic movie [unsure] Cheap or expensive doesn't matter either, I love them all and have many guitars at the moment, but I appreciate them, look after them and play them as often as possible, so I feel they are not being neglected and are in a good home.

I ride bikes, road bikes....There is a set of rules for the ownership of bikes, which states the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where "n" is the number of bikes you already own. There is always a case for d-1, which is where the number of bikes you need to own is divorce - 1.......

you sir, are a mathematical genius!

tenor.gif?itemid=4268618

The question is were these sales to finance upgrades?

If so, you do not have a problem other than lack of disposable income which is always an annoyance.

No, I just needed to thin the herd down a bit, and I needed some money to pay down a credit card that that Household 6 had put a hurt on this month, just in time for Christmas.

(She had a new crown put on at the dentist. Who knew that those were so expensive?)

And, my Rottweiler pup racked up some veterinary bills lately.

It's always something.

[unsure]

Archived