Gibson Brands Forums

Want to see a PLEK machine in action

Rabs

This vid was posted in the LP section.. Not that much new as such but its an interesting video.. Fist I don't think ive seen such a close up of the PLEK machine at work which is cool (they need to teach it how to do a G nut slot properly :P ;)).. But he also talks about the wood supply issues which I think we should all take note of..

If you want to just see the PLEK bit go to 8:55

That's plekking cool [smile] I think the high E nut slot positioning is the usual error on most recent Gibson USA's with bound fingerboards, although they seem to have sorted it out from 2016 onwards as the models are much better in that regard. Before 2016 and going back a few years prior, the high E string slipping off the neck was commonplace as it was too close to the binding on the neck edge. I still have this issue with a few of mine, but as long as you're careful you kind of get used to it and learn to adapt so it doesn't slip. I probably should have taken them to get new nuts fitted, but wasn't too overly concerned. Oddly, Gibson Custom never seemed to have this problem.

I've watched videos on this machine and it doen't finish the fret ends, Round the fingerboard edges, or polish the frets. Plus after a guitar leaves the factory into the world of uncontrolled humidity, surely the neck will move? I really can't see the benefit unless it's done at the dealer, where the guitar has stabilised. I've read online about people having a mobile Plek and going around dealers. That would be interesting.

I've watched videos on this machine and it doen't finish the fret ends, Round the fingerboard edges, or polish the frets. Plus after a guitar leaves the factory into the world of uncontrolled humidity, surely the neck will move? I really can't see the benefit unless it's done at the dealer, where the guitar has stabilised. I've read online about people having a mobile Plek and going around dealers. That would be interesting.

Ok unless you go mail order.

Freezing cold parcel depots. Heated mail vans...

Ok unless you go mail order.

Freezing cold parcel depots. Heated mail vans...

Never had a problem with that before myself. Whilst guitars (especially solid wood acoustics and archtops) are sensitive to heat/ climate changes, solid body and laminate acoustics are generally not that sensitive, otherwise you could not leave the house with them. I know nitro finishes can crack in extremes, but I can't say I've ever experienced a guitar neck moving or any other such problems from moving place to place. Maybe if you regularly tour the world going from extremes of climates it might be an issue, but I've taken my LP Classic all around the UK with no humidty control and it is still the same as the day I bought it 14 years ago. I've never even had to tweak the truss rod on it. I do have a dehumidifier in my room where my guitars are now, but that's mainly for the acoustics and archtops as I did have a few problems with my Gibson Dove a couple of years ago with a swelling top and my L5 did develop some slight checking on the neck which was due to humidity I believe.

I did take a Squier strat from the UK to LA years ago and put it in the overhead storage compartment on the flight. Squiers are built like tanks and the lack of nitro helps with climate changes. No problems whatsoever!

Archived