Gibson Brands Forums

Who's Gigging New Years Eve., And What's The Temps ?

Murph

This will be my first New Years gig in 8 years, doing an acoustic duo (but we might have a bass player, making it a trio). Actually, there will be some other Bands, so we're just part of the show, but.....

It's 15 degrees Fahrenheit now (nearly noon), expected to be 4 degrees for the low tonight. House p.a. so all I have to do is rush in the J-15 ( yep, this is why I bought it, the J-45 stays home tonight) and the mandolin so this is a relief !

Sure glad I don't live up North tonight.......

1514741828[/url]' post='1905175']

This will be my first New Years gig in 8 years, doing an acoustic duo (but we might have a bass player, making it a trio). Actually, there will be some other Bands, so we're just part of the show, but.....

It's 15 degrees Fahrenheit now (nearly noon), expected to be 4 degrees for the low tonight. House p.a. so all I have to do is rush in the J-15 ( yep, this is why I bought it, the J-45 stays home tonight) and the mandolin so this is a relief !

Sure glad I don't live up North tonight.......

Pick brother pick! I turned down a NY gig with my friend a few weeks back. He will team up with another. I’m kind of spent anyways...

Quiet night here. Half the house sick. Boys home from schools... quiet and early night likely here...

Have fun Murph!

My 12th year not playing NYE. It is a joy to stay home, have as much champagne as I want, enjoy a cigar, set off some fireworks. Came this close to doing this NYE but in the end, just not enough money to coax us out. Need a lot of that, we done missed too many New Years in our lives.

rct

Well it seems that the bottom has fallen out here in Montana. It has been -35 In Northern Montana and down here in the South its a tropical -20 Fahrenheit. Bozeman has a bunch of snow and our mountain snow pack is at 135% of normal. This is a good thing as it helps keep the fires down in the Summer.

We have SlimT to thank for all of this as he sends the Calgary clipper down to us here in Montana. As bad as it gets here it's nothing compared to what the folks in Calgary are going thru. We have a town on the highline called Glasgow. It has wind chills of -50 and regular temps of -35. The only thing between Glasgow and the North Pole is a three strand barbwire fence somewhere north of Saskatoon. Bring it on. We all have good coats.

See ya at the Homecoming in the Spring.

I spent so many NYE working that I don't think I'll ever find myself looking for that kind of work again.

It is a good money night, but you just never know what sort of weather conditions you're going to have to deal with. I remember quite a few NYEs trying to find our way home in a snow squalls or an occasional blizzard. It is at that moment that you know they money in your pocket aint worth the hassle of getting back home.

God bless and keep safe, all the guys still doing it.

Im in Oz and bought a Tanglewood for $150, all hog parlour, great tone. Played around at my brothers place by the pool. I generally hate NYE, and in past played a few NYE gigs whcih I actually enjoyed. Much prefer being on stage entertaining than in the middle with all the other punters pushin and shoving and waiting an hour at the bar for a drink.

I don’t believe I have played a NYE gig this century, maybe one in a trio?

But I tell ya, the ones I have have made up for the rest of my life and some of yours - I have done everyone’s share, I think! But the big, big one I think is near the top of my list is the huge private function on the ocean beach and the band I was in just plain old rocked the place, followed by BK imbibing too much and waking up face down on the beach!

And another tops was one in the mountains with all the hippies, years after hippiedom was over, where BK imbibed too much and slept in the van. Is a pattern emerging?

Why is there never accommodation for the guitarist? [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Our traditional NYE for the past decade or so is playing music with friends. This is an A-list pickin' and we are just so glad to be included. There is no experience like being in a room with great pickers, great instruments and great singers and listening -- and being part -- what they do for fun. There is no way we would gig in preference to that.msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived