Gibson Brands Forums

Wall Hanger

deeman

So my wife got me this wall hanger here for Christmas to hang my LP studio. Has anyone had experience using this with nitro finishes? There is a disclaimer on the back saying that they recommend the finish be fully cured before resting it in any hanger. I put a sock over it for now. I'm going to get 2 more wall hangers since I have the room for it. Is there a better option for nitro-finished guitars out there?

Thanks and happy new year!

I put a cotton cloth over the hangers my Gibbys use, even if the manufacturer claims it's safe. There was a member here that had a sweet white LP Custom jacked from a stand that claimed it was safe with nitro. He ended up sueing the company for damages.

I'm happy to hear your positive experience surf! I think I'll pick up some gloves up next time I'm at the hardware store. Thanks for the info everyone!

Seriously... 10 years or so. Almost all of my guitars are nitrocellulose.... not a single mark.

So my wife got me this wall hanger here for Christmas to hang my LP studio. Has anyone had experience using this with nitro finishes? There is a disclaimer on the back saying that they recommend the finish be fully cured before resting it in any hanger. I put a sock over it for now. I'm going to get 2 more wall hangers since I have the room for it. Is there a better option for nitro-finished guitars out there?

Thanks and happy new year!

I hang all my good guitars. I don't know about the finish....I remove all the finish on necks. I hate it.

Well, much of it depends on how old the guitar is. Try it with a new SG, Les Paul... then let us know how it goes! [biggrin]

Maybe. I have 2005, 2009, and 2010 Gibsons hanging there. Have been for like 8 years now. They are fine. Two new Teles, a Strat and a Jazz bass that I finished myself in nitro over that past two years... also all fine. Better safe than sorry I guess, but I am just reporting my own actual experience with the product in the OP. Have you had any difficulty with the String Swing and your own guitar's finishes?

I put a cotton cloth over the hangers...even if the manufacturer claims it's safe...

I used to use Hercules wall hangars at a previous house, now I'm using two multi stands. After burning marks into the neck of my MIM Strat (not the Hercules btw), which was NOT a nitro finish neck, I don't trust any stand/hangar, etc. regardless of what the mfgr. says. I've used several wraps of 2" cotton gauze with great satisfaction. Use a zip tie at the "final" wrap to secure. So far, so good, and it's 10 years or so.

Maybe. I have 2005, 2009, and 2010 Gibsons hanging there. Have been for like 8 years now. They are fine. Two new Teles, a Strat and a Jazz bass that I finished myself in nitro over that past two years... also all fine. Better safe than sorry I guess, but I am just reporting my own actual experience with the product in the OP. Have you had any difficulty with the String Swing and your own guitar's finishes?

I have not, but then again I wrapped them with cotton, (or perhaps it's more like a flannel??) as soon as I put em up. and I only use them when I've got a few out for the day/evening, or taking a break for a few minutes during a saturday session. I don't leave them on. if I'm not playing em most of the time, they are cased.

The climate here, there is only a short window in the spring and fall when things are good for leaving em out, esp. acoustics.

and I thought Strats and Tele's (newer ones) aren't nitro are they? Poly right? which cures faster and is far less malleable.

If the hangers have that "surgical tube" material, like on the pitch fork stands, we all know that to be a nitro killer. it's mostly I believe the gibson's you gotta watch. Taylors (I have two) use a UV cured finish, it's very hard, as well as thin. A b---ch to repair but really holds up well otherwise.

There's one hanger I have that I think you could hang a car from (not a String Swing) and that is "supposed" to be guaranteed nitro safe. Interesting note about about Hercules hangers as they are supposed to be ok too if you go with the newer ones.

Dear Penthouse

I'm not sure what these guys are talking about but I think it moved a little as I read this...

I put a sock over it for now.
I put a cotton cloth over
I have also used a two inch gauze and wrapped it around.
No need to pad it, gauze it,
Cut the fingers out of cotton work gloves and slide them over.
Doubleknit fabric wraps and ties well.

if the material is like a surgical latex, it'll chew thru I use some of them yellow cleaning cloths that you can get in a bag

Nice clean cotton. msp_thumbup.gif

Never thought of putting full cotton glove on
I'll pick up some gloves up next time I'm at the hardware store.

rct

The Axe Claw hangers have smooth black rubber similar to the String Swing but they eat nitro for dinner. Ask me how I know...thankfully I discovered the problem in time and was able to wet sand and polish the marks out. I've had no problem with String Swing hangers.

Archived