Gibson Brands Forums

Practice Room Volume

tlwwalker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Things are evolving. Due to members changing jobs, now different members show up on different days. Last time we played, we had no bass player. I did not miss the bass one bit. We had a Hummingbird through the board, a drummer (who started loud, but backed off), a lead vocalist with a ESP (who turned it down when I asked him to do so), and my ES-335. My goal is always to hear and improve the vocals. The room is prone to standing waves of bass frequencies. I like the bass player and would like him there. His voice is good and his sense of time is great. He often resolves time/beat/rhythm issues for us. But I want to hear his volume way down. We worked out Blue Sky, Just What I Needed, Revival, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed & Listen to the Music. The vocals are the most important part of the song. They must be featured. If you can't hear the vocals, you can't fix them. If you can't hear the vocals, the instruments are too loud. Band are remembered for tight vocals.

absolutely!

Dead+Wall+1.jpg

that's how it's done right! woot!

Same here A.C. Apologies for your hearing loss and mine is very poor too. I had to give up target shooting which I love and no more loud concerts as told by the doctor. I used to drag race and can't go to drag stripes any more so I know how it sucks. I have 75% hearing loss in one ear, don't know what the other side is.

man, that really sux! i feel bad complaining now, as i at least still have that. the sweet sound of a screaming v8 is as cool as any rock i ever heard.

aside though, my music is hard rock, so going quiet just doesn't work for us. of course, since moving to america's musical black hole (read:delaware) i don't have a band anymore anyhow. i keep hoping i will someday find some like-minded individuals who don't insist on playing out as the next best cover band. for the last year though, no luck.

Archived