Gibson Brands Forums

What do you do....

brad1

when you're down? When life's giving you crap and your stress level is high?

Been going through this a lot myself lately.

One thing I do is come here. Another is play my guitars. Play drums.

Take walks........read.....

What is some stuff y'all do?

Raindrops on roses

And whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad

But seriously... I self medicate.

But seriously, I think depression is chemical. I just hang on to the things that I love, same as you. Intense exercise also seems to help. I try not to sweat the small stuff or let my situation consume me. If you're in a bad situation, get out. As I have gotten older, my brain chemistry seems to have changed to put me in a more mellow place. I have been blessed with good friends and the capacity to survive and thrive. Find humor in everything.

We have a very good relationship and as such, playing guitar and video games for my wife and I are just some diversions at home. We'll go out sometimes, shopping or bar or something with friends. We'll play board games with kids. We're rarely down and overly stressed. We address the issue and work on a solution for the problem. Sometimes life can be difficult for sure. Ignoring it isn't the solution but sometimes other distractions help relieve the stress so the solution can be focused on.

I sincerely hope things get better for you.

music works for me just about 100% of the time.

a 3 or so mile walk don't hurt either..

This.

I go swimming every day (long walk to/from the pool).

Really helps, much better than getting drunk which is what I used to do.....

Best wishes.

when you're down? When life's giving you crap and your stress level is high?

Been going through this a lot myself lately.

One thing I do is come here. Another is play my guitars. Play drums.

Take walks........read.....

What is some stuff y'all do?

I get super different results when I'm pissed/hurt/salty. Sometimes I'll use that to get tasks done that require the No F's- Given attitude. If I don't have something to do that requires that kind of focus, I like to smoke a joint and take a ride on the bike.

I exercise and play guitar.

For some reason doing 100 pull ups in sets of 10 disconnects me from stress, once I am around 60 somehow my mind is only focused on that. Similar thing happens when I go walking, I walk for about 90 minutes and by the 60 minute mark I feel like new every time.

once I get my exercise I like to play my guitars.

music works for me just about 100% of the time.

a 3 or so mile walk don't hurt either..

I have a physical job which I believe helps with stress, I get a workout at work. If I'm off a while, exercising helps me, I believe it's helps with stress of everyday life.

1515075383[/url]' post='1906039']

Raindrops on roses

And whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad

But seriously... I self medicate.

But seriously, I think depression is chemical. I just hang on to the things that I love, same as you. Intense exercise also seems to help. I try not to sweat the small stuff or let my situation consume me. If you're in a bad situation, get out. As I have gotten older, my brain chemistry seems to have changed to put me in a more mellow place. I have been blessed with good friends and the capacity to survive and thrive. Find humor in everything.

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down... ha, Actually I've never been stressful, truly. When I was 16 and almost cut my left arm off and should have bleed out then got that cancerous brain tumor I said I'm stopping to smell the roses every day from now on. The wife is amazed why I don't worry about nothing, I have hobbies that I enjoy and do when I have time and take naps when I'm tired but the rest of the time I enjoy just being alive.

I get super different results when I'm pissed/hurt/salty. Sometimes I'll use that to get tasks done that require the No F's- Given attitude. If I don't have something to do that requires that kind of focus, I like to smoke a joint and take a ride on the bike.

So it's like taking a trip on your bike

4H

Since I started working from home as a self employed contractor I've become a lot more stressed, I think I miss social interactions. I'm trying to find something that can help in the long term but usually I just listen to music, read music related blogs or play an instrument

So it's like taking a trip on your bike

4H

Very much so. I have 3 bikes for different riding. I have the Victory big twin Hammer for bar hoppin, the Ninja ZX-14 (fastest production bike ever when I got it 2012) for getting close to the maker, and my dual sport for getting off road in Eagle Rock and New Mexico, (when I'm there).

There is something powerful in the spirit when no matter how bad of a day I've had, I can twist one up and hit the twisties in the canyon. All of a sudden perspective hits me like a punch in the nose. Very theraputic.

There is something powerful in the spirit when no matter how bad of a day I've had, I can twist one up and hit the twisties in the canyon. All of a sudden perspective hits me like a punch in the nose. Very theraputic.

excellent advice imo. it's what i would do if i had a bike now, and the weather permitted. bike is coming in a few months though. my dogs were great stress relievers till the ex stole them from me. there is nothing more soothing that laying on the couch with a full belly and a good buzz, with a cuddly dog

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down... ha, Actually I've never been stressful, truly. When I was 16 and almost cut my left arm off and should have bleed out then got that cancerous brain tumor I said I'm stopping to smell the roses every day from now on. The wife is amazed why I don't worry about nothing, I have hobbies that I enjoy and do when I have time and take naps when I'm tired but the rest of the time I enjoy just being alive.

Only the good die young Butch...Grin~

excellent advice imo. it's what i would do if i had a bike now, and the weather permitted. bike is coming in a few months though. my dogs were great stress relievers till the ex stole them from me. there is nothing more soothing that laying on the couch with a full belly and a good buzz, with a cuddly dog

Lost some great dogs to an ex. (figured she could use some protection). Yes, I don't belong to any 'clubs' or anything...In fact, I prefer to ride alone. Nothing like it.

In my case, I mostly just mope around. I really can't get into playing my guitar, or socializing or anything else when I'm super stressed or depressed.

Luckily though, I rarely get too stressed or depressed. I'm usually pretty good about letting things "roll off my back" and such. I mostly have a positive outlook on life and am rarely bored because I can find almost anything to occupy or entertain myself. But like I said, during those other times, I pretty much just shut-down.

If I get a little down in the dumps, I find that it's impossible to engage in creative endeavors such as playing guitar.

(Making music, and relaxing with the guitar, requires a great deal of peace and contentment, in my world anyway.)

Here's what I do when I get down and blue, seriously:

I set out to accomplish something.

* I'll clean out the fridge, and toss out all the odd bits and fur-growing thingies that have accumulated in there.

If the food is recently turned, but not toxic, I'll toss it out in the edge of the woods so that my raccoons and foxes can enjoy some free chow.

* I will tear the music room apart, and reorganized everything neatly, after I have dusted and polished everything.

* I'll sweep out the garage, and neaten up my tool boxes and work bench. Throw out all the odd things that I have been accumulating over the past year, things that I thought I could do something with, but know in my heart that I never will.

* Clean out a closet, and box up all the old clothes that I never wear anymore. Drive the clothes downtown, and deliver them to the homeless people. (Along with a sack of fresh, hot cheeseburgers.)

And then I'll come home and relax with a nice adult beverage or two.

:)

Archived