Gibson Brands Forums

Self Serve Petrol?

Digger

It is interesting that the price would go up if self service were introduced. I would imagine that if a gas station allows only trained attendants to pour gas, then their insurance premiums must be WAY lower...obviously enough to cover wages of those attendants and then some to pass along savings to customers.

I'm sure it makes a great job for a high school or college student.

No. In this economy, in this area, it is one of a couple full grown adult jobs people have.

rct

Yeah, when I was a kid they'd have the rubber hose that rang the bell thing and you'd ride your bike over the hose a couple extra times as you're leaving just to try to mess with the gas station attendant. [thumbup]

After you managed to snag an STP sticker!

rct

Yeah we have self checkout stations in most supermarkets here. I love them when I just need to grab a few items at the store. I can check out much faster if I do it myself it seems.

I refuse to use them because they cost kids jobs.

i remember when I was a kid, seeing 3 guys come out, in uniforms, with bowties & a cap. one guy pumping the gas, one guy checking the tires & the other guy checking the oil & wiper blades.

We had only 2 in Arkansas growing up, one for gas and the other for the tires and windshield combined. Come to think of it we used to get flats a lot back then and bugs were certainly plentiful in the summer.

Just to go off topic and you being an Aussie did you see Luke Bryan (some dumb county singing and a playing yokel) bought his wife 2 baby Kangaroos for xmas. I hope those bad boys grow up and kick him in the junk and lodge a testicle. What d-ouche bag. Get a dog like normal people you clown.

haha! ...I hope those bad "little buggas" grow up... Yeah, I agree with your ideas here msp_biggrin.gif

In the nearest town there at least 3 I can think of (out of 15 or so) that provide the service - my mum uses them as her arthritis makes squeezing the pump handle difficult.

Kangaroos can be loyal and friendly 'pets' to some degree, but obviously need lots of space, are not a house pet and will be subject to ticks, lice etc. Despite the idea in the tv show Skippy back in the old days, I'm not sure they bounce over to you when you whistle [laugh]

You must be a little younger than me, I think. While in my adult life I've only seen a petrol pump attendant once, when I was a kid it was the norm. I remember my Grandmother kicking up a right stink once when there was no attendant and they expected her to pump her own petrol.

When I was about 20, in Devon somewhere, myself and my then girl friend stopped for fuel and were staggered when a young chap appeared and asked, "fill it up?".

Actually I think im a few years older than you (coming up to 44).. But I just don't ever remember someone doing it for us even when I was young I remember my parents getting out of the car.. ?? Donno??

Guest Farnsbarns

Actually I think im a few years older than you (coming up to 44).. But I just don't ever remember someone doing it for us even when I was young I remember my parents getting out of the car.. ?? Donno??

You are older. You must have gone senile!

I was born in Jersey and my parents were smart enough to move form there. Glad they did. I grew up in California. Been back to Jersey many times. I can drive there in 5 hours, but why?

I was born in NJ also. Right after I was born, in 1952 they moved to FLA. I've lived here ever since.

Archived