Gibson Brands Forums

Obsessed with Jazz

NighthawkChris

I've been a jazz fan since my 20s and I'm in my 60s now. I had the good fortune to book a jazz club in the early 80's and as a frustrated guitar player (then and now), I made a point of booking my favorite players in for a week at a time over the 2.5 years we were open. I was lucky enough to bring in Kenny Burrell, Chuck Wayne, Barney Kessel, Pat Martino, Charlie Byrd, Tal Farlow, Joe Pass, Bucky Pizzarelli and Pat Metheny to name a few. Suffice to say it was fun. Also booked a lot of other jazz stalwarts but those are the some of the guitar players I can recall without reaching back into files.

That must have been amazing....did you manage to craftily tape any of them?

Actually, yes. As each new act would begin their week, the program director at our FM Jazz station would come in and record an evening's worth of music. He always gave me a cassette of those shows once he had mixed them down. I wish I knew what I did with them!

There's a really good local jazz/fusion player named Carl Filipiak. I saw him years ago in a bar in Baltimore. He was jaw dropping good. He likes to play a lot of Jimi Hendrix too. I kinda forgot about him because I haven't heard his name in awhile, but I just looked him up and he still plays around. I'm not a huge fan of listening to jazz at home or in the car etc., but I do enjoy it live.

Archived