Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody want to talk Whisky....

Dave1963

I am a Bourbon drinker and have always liked Wild Turkey.

Don't like Jack. Hate Southern Comfort.

I like Turkey and Sprite on the rocks.

Don't drink much any more.

But I liked when I was younger.

Woodford reserve is my favourite Bourbon... Yummy!

There were 3 identical posts, so I replied in the one with most other replies. rolleyes.gif

Been a bourbon guy for years. More recently expanded to include Scotch and even more recently I hopped on the Rye revival bandwagon. I have to admit, I only got into rye when local entrepreneur Keven Plank ( Under Armor) came out with his Sagamore Rye. My old drummer's wife worked for Kevin so I knew it was coming about a year before it was announced publicly. It's good stuff, but for now being distilled in Indiana until the big copper still in Baltimore is up and running and the rye has time to age.

Like Dave1963, Woodford Reserve is one of my favorite bourbons along with Basil Hayden's and Bookers. I recently got some Basil Hayden's Rye and it's about as smooth as the bourbon.

I'm a pete monster.

I've heard him say so.

I prefer Peat. Talisker; Laphroaig; Lagavulin; Islay; whatever...

Don't much like many Speyside. Some Highland and some Lowland are OK.

Of the latter 'The Rosebank' was really superb until those complete b'stards United Distillers got hold of it.

Don't get me started on that pre-meditated stitch-up......and I really mean that.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Love Scotch. I used to drink The Macallan when it was $30 for a 750ml. Now its in the $50's.

I'm Scottish. I'm from the land of Uisge Beatha. So it follows that I'm a penny-pinching SOB I'm 'careful' with my money and so it makes me shake my head in disbelief to know that I can buy my favourite malts cheaper in France than I can in the UK...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Yes. Wiskey proun: [whizz-ski}N. noun. An American Invention. Think the guy's name was 'Daniels. Tried all the scotch/irish stuff, and said, "These guys are onto something, just put in a charred barrell for several years, and lose the stupid peat moss".

Preffered drink to make any meaningful cocktail, (manhattan, old fashioned, etc), and preferred spirit for a drinker who wants to feel no pain, bang fat girls, or suffering from cold or flu. Also best option around if you are in a war, get your leg mostly blown off and have to amputate. Dulls pain, sanitizes knives, and if it's too much to bear, you can drink yourself straight past consciousness.

I've heard him say so.

I prefer Peat. Talisker; Laphroaig; Lagavulin; Islay; whatever...

Don't much like many Speyside. Some Highland and some Lowland are OK.

Of the latter 'The Rosebank' was really superb until those complete b'stards United Distillers got hold of it.

Don't get me started on that pre-meditated stitch-up......and I really mean that.

Pip.

Laphroaig msp_thumbup.gif

Yes. Wiskey proun: [whizz-ski}N. noun. An American Invention. Think the guy's name was 'Daniels. Tried all the scotch/irish stuff, and said, "These guys are onto something, just put in a charred barrell for several years, and lose the stupid peat moss"...

msp_laugh.gif

Farns knows Pete Moss personally.

AFAICR his best advice was "Don't call him stupid to his face."....

On a more serious note (seriously?) I've sampled a bottle of a very good quality blended malt which was aged in charred American Oak Bourbon barrels and it was VERY interesting.

I wouldn't walk past one of Skye's finest for it but it was a very pleasant tipple by anyone's standards.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yes. Wiskey proun: [whizz-ski}N. noun. An American Invention. Think the guy's name was 'Daniels. Tried all the scotch/irish stuff, and said, "These guys are onto something, just put in a charred barrell for several years, and lose the stupid peat moss".

Preffered drink to make any meaningful cocktail, (manhattan, old fashioned, etc), and preferred spirit for a drinker who wants to feel no pain, bang fat girls, or suffering from cold or flu. Also best option around if you are in a war, get your leg mostly blown off and have to amputate. Dulls pain, sanitizes knives, and if it's too much to bear, you can drink yourself straight past consciousness.

Heathen.like most american products, he made it that way because it was cheaper. We've been using chared barrels since you were still English. The difference is he used maize. And it's absolute rubbish.

Edited by Farnsbarns

In a week's time we'll be hosting a dinner party for some friends who are pretty much our closest and longest-held friends in London. Tremendous folks.

The chap is always an interesting guest to have because he REALLY loves - and knows - his whisky; and by that I mean he will think nothing of taking his small 'plane for a two-week tour of the Islands and Highlands on a whisky-tasting trip just for the Hell of it. He's a member of The Scotch Malt Whisky Society(*) so I have a fun but constant struggle to find a malt which he's never yet tried. So far I've done pretty well...

OTOH he has returned the favour by splitting a bottle of ultra-rare nectar on more than one occasion and it's difficult to know which of us enjoys these exchanges the fullest; the giver or the recipient.

The Gal has simpler tastes. Simply the finest of French Burgundies - white or red.

I hear some Meursault calling my name....but Romanée-Conti is NOT going to be on the wine list - not this year; not next year...

Slainte, everyone!

Pip.

(*) https://www.smws.com/

Edited by pippy

Guest Farnsbarns

I had a wonderful 1966 Glenburgie and I'm now ordering another, because of this thread. you might want to come and try it, Pip, me old mate. It's ambrosia.

BTW, to all deciples of the brew. Check out ralphydotcom on YouTube. For those who like electrical shenanigans, look up his brother, my old mate bigclivedotcom.

Where's Tman, I've enjoyed some decent swill with him in a proper London pub too.

Edited by Farnsbarns

Heathen.like most american products, he made it that way because it was cheaper. We've been using chared barrels since you were still English. The difference is he used maize. And it's absolute rubbish.

Yessir. Mostly heathen with a touch of arrogant bastard. Or, as we say here, American.

Casual drinker of cocktails as part of an overall dinner plan. I like them all in the right drink, in the right place. Not much on single malt boutique stuff because I usually like them mixed and blends are just perfect for that.

rct

Ole England, England...You got a few things right. America, Led Zepplin, and the basis for what would become wiskey. I do admire the centuries of toiling, empire building, and fuedalism you had to endure to get around to seeing things our way.

PS> All of girls really should brush your teeth. I'm scared of catchin somethin from a blowjob.