Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody want to talk Whisky....

Dave1963

I merged and neatened up the thread. :)

I haven't had a drink in 15 years so I'm not one to offer anything. My father used to keep some Canadian Lord Calvert or Canadian Mist around but a bottle would last for months. My best friend at tech school LIVED on Jack Daniels. I never liked the taste of either. If I was drinking any hard stuff at all, it was vodka, chased with whatever I had on hand, and a constant stream of Camel non filters.

I'm sure there was no point in my life where I would know a good whiskey if it came up and slapped me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1515292517[/url]' post='1906846']

I merged and neatened up the thread. :)

I haven't had a drink in 15 years so I'm not one to offer anything. My father used to keep some Canadian Lord Calvert or Canadian Mist around but a bottle would last for months. My best friend at tech school LIVED on Jack Daniels. I never liked the taste of either. If I was drinking any hard stuff at all, it was vodka, chased with whatever I had on hand, and a constant stream of Camel non filters.

I'm sure there was no point in my life where I would know a good whiskey if it came up and slapped me.

Had a couple of camel nonfiltered the other night. Tasted good. Friend said they were 8.00 a pack,that possible?

Basil Hayden is far and away the best bourbon I've ever had, and Woodford Reserve is my second choice.

I also like tequila, and my wife brought back some fine and expensive tequilas from Arizona whose names escape me, but IMO, the best bang for the buck is Camarena, a good, everyday, sipping tequila. I like the silver versions.

Guest Farnsbarns

Farnsbarns, you have impeccibly expensive taste my good man....

Do you know what. I looked up the price of that and nearly fell of my seat. I'd already posted but last time I must have gotten a bargain. It's now 7 X what I paid.

Probably not a big hit with true fans of bourbon since it is flavored, but I got hooked on Maple whiskeys up in Canada couple years back. This is my preferred night cap currently....

Dj5koYQl.jpg

A gentleman walks in to a pub and orders a stiff one......[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I have 2 liquor rules, I drink NOTHING flavored and 99 times out of 100 only on the rocks. I may put some coke in cheap bourbon or sometimes OJ in vodka, but never anything but ice in scotch.

Whisky does indeed need to taste of erm...WHISKY?

Had a couple of camel nonfiltered the other night. Tasted good. Friend said they were 8.00 a pack,that possible?

I quit in July of 2014. For at least 3 or 4 years prior to that, I had a difficult time finding ANY non filter cigarettes. The store clerks looked at me like I was a Martian. When I found a store that would at least carry generic non filters for $5.00 a pack, I gave up on the idea of $8-$9 a pack Camels. If I found them in a store, period, they would be so old they'd burst into flames as soon as the Bic was flicked.

1515341446[/url]' post='1907025']

I quit in July of 2014. For at least 3 or 4 years prior to that, I had a difficult time finding ANY non filter cigarettes. The store clerks looked at me like I was a Martian. When I found a store that would at least carry generic non filters for $5.00 a pack, I gave up on the idea of $8-$9 a pack Camels. If I found them in a store, period, they would be so old they'd burst into flames as soon as the Bic was flicked.

Almost everybody smokes light cigerettes around here,like coffee if you can't taste it why bother?

Almost everybody smokes light cigerettes around here,like coffee if you can't taste it why bother?

Just about everybody around here smokes hand rolled. I used to until I knocked it on the head

I always used to have a nice cigar with whisky....

Which is why 'back in the day' I smoked Camels or Luckies, drank Colt 45, and was married to a redhead for 23 years. I outlived them all.

...I draw the line at about £150 a bottle...

For anyone in the UK who is a complete cheapskate and likes a very peaty 'Island' style of whisky but doesn't want to break the bank I can thoroughly recommend (if you can find it) the 'Glen Marnoch' Islay pure malt which is on offer from Aldi no less. FWIW my own personal tasting notes place it somewhere between a medium-aged Talisker and a young Laphroaig so it's not for the faint of heart.

It's label won't win you any bragging rights as a poseur, obviously, but it offers up a damn fine dram for bona-fide whisky lovers to savour, contemplate and discuss.

Alternatively pour it into a decanter and tell as many lies about its 'provenance' as your conscience allows....

Around £25 per bottle.

Very Good for Hot Toddies...

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

For anyone in the UK who is a complete cheapskate and likes a very peaty 'Island' style of whisky but doesn't want to break the bank I can thoroughly recommend (if you can find it) the 'Glen Marnoch' Islay pure malt which is on offer from Aldi no less. FWIW my own personal tasting notes place it somewhere between a medium-aged Talisker and a young Laphroaig so it's not for the faint of heart.

It's label won't win you any bragging rights as a poseur, obviously, but it offers up a damn fine dram for bona-fide whisky lovers to savour, contemplate and discuss.

Alternatively pour it into a decanter and tell as many lies about its 'provenance' as your conscience allows....

Around £25 per bottle.

Very Good for Hot Toddies...

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

My son recently visited England to see his girlfriend and he brought back a nice bottle of whisky called The English. He hasn't opened it yet, so I can't comment, but he apparently had some over there and describes it as even more peaty than Laphoaig. I can't wait to give it a taste.

BTW. This particular bottle is Chapter 15.

1515270525[/url]' post='1906713']

I am a Bourbon drinker and have always liked Wild Turkey.

Don't like Jack. Hate Southern Comfort.

I like Turkey and Sprite on the rocks.

Don't drink much any more.

But I liked when I was younger.

Before I married I drank, went to the bars. I drank Bourban, tried Wild Turkey a lot, liked Southern Comfort. I tried lots of everything but hated Vodca. For some reason that just got me drunk too fast and didn't care for the taste.

I have 2 liquor rules, I drink NOTHING flavored and 99 times out of 100 only on the rocks. I may put some coke in cheap bourbon or sometimes OJ in vodka, but never anything but ice in scotch.

I dont't care for whiskey or bourbon but love tequila and I agree straight up maybe on the rocks now and then. I like about all liquors except for Whiskey and Bourbon. I can drink it but I don't.

My son recently visited England to see his girlfriend and he brought back a nice bottle of whisky called The English. He hasn't opened it yet, so I can't comment, but he apparently had some over there and describes it as even more peaty than Laphoaig. I can't wait to give it a taste.

BTW. This particular bottle is Chapter 15.

Ah yes, The English Whisky Company. I have tried Chapter 9, which was nice albeit quite young. They only do small batches and peaty is in vogue at the moment. I have a bottle of "The Big Peat" which is a blend of all things peaty, from another company. Its a monster, but again very young and not too much character....

There were 3 identical posts, so I replied in the one with most other replies. rolleyes.gif

Been a bourbon guy for years. More recently expanded to include Scotch and even more recently I hopped on the Rye revival bandwagon. I have to admit, I only got into rye when local entrepreneur Keven Plank ( Under Armor) came out with his Sagamore Rye. My old drummer's wife worked for Kevin so I knew it was coming about a year before it was announced publicly. It's good stuff, but for now being distilled in Indiana until the big copper still in Baltimore is up and running and the rye has time to age.

Like Dave1963, Woodford Reserve is one of my favorite bourbons along with Basil Hayden's and Bookers. I recently got some Basil Hayden's Rye and it's about as smooth as the bourbon.

I don't want to derail this great topic. But I'm curious about something.

As I was reading through the older posts in this thread, I noticed that I left out the letter U in "Under Armour" above. I was going to correct that with the Edit button, but it's not there. It is available on the post I made yesterday though regarding The English. So I have to conclude that there is a time limit to making an edit of your own post?

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't want to derail this great topic. But I'm curious about something.

As I was reading through the older posts in this thread, I noticed that I left out the letter U in "Under Armour" above. I was going to correct that with the Edit button, but it's not there. It is available on the post I made yesterday though regarding The English. So I have to conclude that there is a time limit to making an edit of your own post?

I noticed that too. It's obviously a time limit but it must be quite long. At least 12 hours I think. If not 24.

Archived