Gibson Brands Forums

Ace Frehley Les Paul questions

Gibson Artist

Was reading online back in 98 Gibson produced two Ace Frehley models, one is worth 3k and works, the other worth 7k and does not work right because it has the wrong pickups and one may not even work anyways?? Could anyone tell me which version this is? The one with the correct pickups or the super expensive one that is a train wreck but more collectible for whatever reason?

Et5GIJj.jpg AWJ9hMR.jpg N317sWR.jpg lXhirVu.jpg

Well, i believe the one i linked is the Ace Frehley signature standard model, but it doesnt have silver covers lke the Custom Shop 300s do?? the ones with Silver truss cover and Silver covers on the back is for the Custom shop right? Tho im not certain if the wood is any better? Maybe a AAAA top on the custom shop?

It certainly looks more like the '300' (LP Custom multi-ply binding and bound back) but the lack of sterling silver 'plastics' is a mystery.

I've seen quite a few different Ace variants listed over the years and it could be that the guitar isn't one of the three versions already listed.

Best (only?) way to answer the question is to find out the serial number.

Pip.

It certainly looks more like the '300' (LP Custom multi-ply binding and bound back) ...

jeez Pip, and there I was getting to the same conclusion based on it being the one with lightning bolts all over the neck and the dude's face all over the headstock. [laugh]

From Gibson's site:

To match Ace's original guitar, the Ace Frehley "Budokan" Les Paul Custom...

Yes, FZF, but the guitar in the OP isn't one of the Ace Frehley "Budokan" Les Pauls.

The "Budokan" is, for one thing, a re-issues of a Norlin-era guitar and has the appropriate 'pointy' horn. It has Les Paul Custom-style block inlays, a split-diamond headstoc....

Have a look at your own links.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

From Gibson's site:

To match Ace’s original guitar, the Ace Frehley “Budokan” Les Paul Custom is loaded with three period-correct double-cream DiMarzio humbucking pickups—two PAF models in the neck and middle positions, and a Super Distortion in the bridge. And just like on Ace's guitar, the traditional 3-way toggle switch has been modified to only allow the use of the bridge pickup, allowing you to be able to accomplish one of Ace's most noted effects.

WTF? Only one of the pups works? Why? What is this effect?

Rog. I was just sending him all the info I could find on the fine axe.

msp_thumbup.gif

WTF? Only one of the pups works? Why? What is this effect?

The way I interpret that quote is that it is possible to select the middle p'up in isolation.

Usually IIRC the 3-p'up Custom is wired so that when the rhythm / treble switch is the middle position the middle p'up is used along with the bridge(?) p'up.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

msp_thumbup.gif

The way I interpret that quote is that it is possible to select the middle p'up in isolation.

Usually IIRC the 3-p'up Custom is wired so that when the rhythm / treble switch is the middle position the middle p'up is used along with the bridge(?) p'up.

Pip.

Really? While you're bound to be right I'm at a loss.

"modified to only allow the use of the bridge pickup" isn't open to interpretation as far as I can see. I'm guessing you know something about this "effect" and can read past an error but I don't get it. Do you think they meant...

"modified to allow the use of the bridge pickup alone"...?

Any fans of The Clowns Kiss able to shed any light?

...And just like on Ace's guitar, the traditional 3-way toggle switch has been modified to only allow the use of the bridge pickup, allowing you to be able to accomplish one of Ace's most noted effects.

I'm guessing they mean the toggle switch effect where you flop between an on pickup and an off pickup. Guessing.

rct

...Do you think they meant "modified to allow the use of the bridge pickup alone"...?...

Sorry! I was having a brainfart and mis-read the blurb.

I don't think so because AFAIK the regular 3-p'up Custom also has bridge p'up only at the 'Lead' position.

I had a bit of a google (I'm feeling better now) and found this exchange;

"I have a Gibson Frehley Budokan, and I'd like to hook up the two dummy pickups (neck, middle)..."

"A real Budokan? I guess so since the pups are not wired..."

blink.gif

Weird!....(*)......

Pip.

* Which is an anagram of 'Wired'......

My latest LP, the Godsmack guitar, has a kill switch instead of a pickup selector switch.

There's only one pickup anyway, and the artist asked for that feature so that he could silence the guitar in between songs and sets.

Me, I like using it at the end of songs, in the Ace Frehley fashion. "Eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eeeeeehhhhh..."

[tongue]

Really? While you're bound to be right I'm at a loss.

"modified to only allow the use of the bridge pickup" isn't open to interpretation as far as I can see. I'm guessing you know something about this "effect" and can read past an error but I don't get it. Do you think they meant...

"modified to allow the use of the bridge pickup alone"...?

Any fans of The Clowns Kiss able to shed any light?

its nice to know there are so many john mayer hipsters who think they are so cool trashing people's likes and cyber bullying for fun. why dont you take your pumpkin spice latte opinions back to seattle and not respond if youre going to be jerk about it.

Guest Farnsbarns

its nice to know there are so many john mayer hipsters who think they are so cool trashing people's likes and cyber bullying for fun. why dont you take your pumpkin spice latte opinions back to seattle and not respond if youre going to be jerk about it.

Woah there Leslie. I think you might have been butt hurt by a little joke. Cyber bullying? Calm down dear. That's not possible, there's a stop bullying me button on your device. It usually has this on it...

power_318-10548.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Farns lives in the UK, and I believe 2pm is tea time not pumpkin spice latte time. I hate JM. He can play but that doesn't mean I have to like his c-rappy sensitive music..

Who is JM?

Ahhh, Just Meridian I presume?

I'm on more formal terms and therefore call him by his full given name; Justin Thyme Meridian.

He always leaves it to the last minute...

Pip.

EDIT : OOOPS! ! ! !..............Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom Budokan!...

Archived