Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson M2 bright red for $300 on MF

Riffster

Our hosts are terrible at cheap. Fender Squire, Fender Mexico, even Mexican Martin make better cheap guitars than our hosts. It's just how it is.

rct

I do tend to agree but when I was 18 I would have been all over this. I'd prefer it over a Strat type guitar.

Stupid Deal of the Day.

I do not need any more guitars for now but dang $300 is not bad. Would make a cool slide guitar.

Riffster,

I have been keeping my eye on that model of Gibson for some time now.

I'm drawn to the simplicity and the light-weight.

As I get older, that appeals to me more and more.

There's sort of a pawnshop kitschiness to it.

I must confess, the Pepto pink doesn't do it for me, but a few of the other colors do turn my head.

First, the black one with the tortoise shell brown pick guard; Primo. I like that one a lot.

The light blue, oddly enough, with the white pick guard, appeals.

The most fetching is the fire-engine red with white pick guard, but that has always felt like a classically Fender Stratocaster color combo, and so it seems naughty on a Gibson Les Paul-shaped guitar.

I'm gonna watch the review and the customer comments before I decide to pull the trigger on one of these admittedly-affordable guitars.

And I will insist on playing it in person first.

And I look forward to your comments, of course.

I have always respected your opinion.

:)

M2SS17EBCH3_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

Reviews are really bad for these Sparky. There is a problem with the tailpiece design, and I have noticed in many of the photos the tailpiece is leaning forward. Electronics and hardware are supposedly bottom of the barrel

I’d say it’s a bad deal because hardware and electronics probably need to be upgraded, then there’s still not much you can do about the string tension pulling the tailpiece forward in the soft poplar body

Reviews are really bad for these Sparky. There is a problem with the tailpiece design, and I have noticed in many of the photos the tailpiece is leaning forward. Electronics and hardware are supposedly bottom of the barrel

I’d say it’s a bad deal because hardware and electronics probably need to be upgraded, then there’s still not much you can do about the string tension pulling the tailpiece forward in the soft poplar body

I read those reviews too. It was enough to steer me clear of these. Too bad because who wouldn't like a "decent" Gibson for $299 :o

[thumbdn]

In alluring Pepto Bismol finish, too.

Initially it was the red one, (when i posted this) then when that sold out they moved to this other odd color.

I guess the modder in me would like to get a hold of one of these, I probably have most of the parts to upgrade it.

But, I am actually selling guitars these days, I want the space.

Looks like they're $300 cause that's what it takes to move stock. There are no stupid deals, just old inventory. Market says..."Pass"

Well, isn't that the concept of every price reduction, sale and clearance?

I just posted this in case somebody was interested.

So is it possible to up grade the tailpiece?

Yes, but it is a wraparound so options are limited, and as I mentioned earlier, there seems to be an issue where string tension is pulling the tailpiece forward in the soft poplar body. Not much to be done with that.

Well, isn't that the concept of every price reduction, sale and clearance?

I just posted this in case somebody was interested.

I apologize Riffster. I ran a car dealership for 13 years. It's the capitalist in me.

These reminded me of the £89 (£120) Epiphones demo'd on Andtertons.

They dont rate them much, but I really liked the sound (yeah, I know, they use FX & premium amps etc). All the same, huge rock sound.

I bought one of those! I'll rate it right now [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived