Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Gibson I love Gibson

eeh1

A friend of mine has one and I've played it. Not bad. The only thing you have to watch is that I've heard a while back on another forum that the side wood is so thin, you can almost push your finger through it. People were having problems with cracks developing. I checked my friend's and it was very thin.

I played a D-18 Authentic at the Martin factory - jeez, the bass that thing put out was enough to cause cardiac arrhythmias! Way outta my price range, but one of the most impressive acoustics I've ever had my hands on. The gang on the Martin forum loves 'em, and I suspect you will too.

Let us know!

Dan

Congrats on the new Martin!! You will have to post some pics when she shows up if you can take the time away from playing to take pictures.

I recently bought a Martin 000-15S. If you aren't familiar it is a 12 fret all hog slot head. I have to say there are just no other guitars to compare it to.... It is also an incredible value for the $$$. It has become my everyday "go to" guitar.

what type of music did you get this Martin to play? ........something in particular?

Personally, I was unaware of any cracking issues. I know the one Bear Claw Sig. edition I saw was awesomely gorgeous. I don't know if it was Andy's guitar, or his picking, but I always liked what came out. Especially when he teamed up with the Darlings.

Andy, Barney, and Aunt Bea sitting on the front porch after church on Sunday, Andy picking out a tune. Man that takes me back. Ya' know, some things just are priceless.

Man.....enjoy the heck out of that guitar, I can't believe some of the comments from you forum guys....Here's how you have to post in here if the guitar is NOT a Gibson, it will be like walking on egg shells, but it can be done...:

1. Start right off the bat, by apologizing that your guitar is NOT a Gibson. This will appease the first line of attack.

2. State that your know your (Martin, Collings, Taylor, fill in the blank) is NOT as good as a Gibson, and that the only reason you didn't get a Gibson, was because you were temporarily out of your mind.

3. If you admit right off the bat that you know that the materials are far inferior to a Gibson, you will win a lot of followers.....

4. Then say, that you will probably only keep the guitar long enough until you can afford a Gibson, then you will trade this piece of crap in.....

After you have ingratiated yourself like this, THEN you can share pics, maybe even say how it sounds great (but way different and not as good as a Gibson), or feels good in your hands (but not as good as a Gibson) or is Beautiful (but not as beautiful as a Gibson), has great fit and finish (but not as....wait a minute....you don't need to say anything here) Hopefully you can then post without getting reamed for not having bought a Gibson......

Congradulations on your new guitar, play it until your fingers bleed, have fun, share it with others, and enjoy your life.....

Hey man I hear Authentic s are awesome guitars! some say the "Best" Martin makes these days! Some! even guys like Wayne Henderson says there right up there with Pre war Martins!

I love Gibsons and have a few but I also have a Martin 0018V which I love! and a recently acquired Bourgeois D 150 Braz. Rosewood which I am falling in love with. It does not delete my love for my Gibsons! They are different thats all ! Send some pics of the new Authentic when you get it! Please!

suburude

I always felt Martins were overrated.

This is an absurd statement. Too much hype - overrated - more form than function? These statements could never be made by anyone who has played Martins for more than a few seconds. These are the statements of complete ignorance.

Go to your Martin dealer and try each of the following:

Martin OM 21 or OMJM

Martin OMCGTE Cherry

Martin 000C-16RGTE Aura plugged into a Fishman SoloAmp

Martin HD-28V

Martin D-18V

If you can play any three of these suggested guitars and come back to the forum and tell me Martins are overrated' date=' I will pay for your hearing tests.

Almost every guitar in the world is a copy of some Martin design. Gibsons were archtops until Martin broke through the f-hole market with flats people wanted to play and even Gibson FOLLOWED Martin into the flat top craft.

If you want to make the statement that Martins are overrated, please let me know which model you played that you feel is overrated and make some sort of intelligent post that supports your thesis.

If you love music and love guitars, it is a terrible mistake to dismiss any brand just as it would be nonsense for an artist to say "I am not painting with [u']that[/u] colour."

WE DON'T WANT YOU AS A MODERATOR, GUITARSTRUMMER

ALL RISE FOR JUDGEMENTAL

Whoa, lighten up. I'm entitled to my own opinion, whether you like it or not. I felt that way cause I always compared them to my Gibson. I didn't mean to demean Martins. I was just stating a fact. I always felt they were overrated. That's my honest experience, having three friends with D28's and D18's. Last week I played a few at the Guitar Center. I'm sure they're great guitars, just not as nice TO ME as my Gibson. What's the matter with you? Gee, did I hit a nerve or what?

You start off saying that "This is an absurd statement"

Then you go on to say anyone who hasn't played a Martin for more than a few seconds. I guess that means it's NOT absurd if someone HAS played Martins plenty.

May I suggest to you that you go out and find a 1951 Gibson CF-100E and compare it to any Martin you've ever played. Go ahead, I'll wait. I just felt like you were singling me out and calling my statement ignorant. If I miss read your intent, then I'm sorry.

Both Gibson and Martin make great guitars, and even some of the other boutique builders. If I had to single out one guitar my 00040S MK is probably the best sounding acoustic I've ever played. Mark Knopfler and **** Boak outdid themselves on this particular model.

What impresses me the most about it, is how balanced it is tonally. .

normal_feb2009_018.JPG

I have never played Martin... Not that I did not want... Simply in the lands where I live there are no Martin (no Gibson Acoustic too...)

I have my M-R GIBS since 09.02.2009.

All I want to say is that I desided in favour of Gibson (I was thinking lot of time - Martin, ot Gibson)

Guys, guys.....again this boils down into a "brand loyalty" debate. My Martin is better than your Gibson, is so childish. Freud would have a field day with this pissing contest. The point is this, eeh1, who owns Gibsons, bought a Martin. The first comments are:

1. It has inferior materials and will probably crack

2. Crack-o-matic Deluxe

3. I'd take a Gibson over a Martin any day. I always felt Martins were overrated.

eeh1 is realtively new to the forum....but still he has picked up on the elitisim of this forum. Look how he posts, apologetically and jokingly with "no porfanities please".....even a new comer has smelled the crap that can go on in this forum. Just think how you would feel if you posted a new guitar and got backhand insults like that. This is a great welcome to the forum for a newcomer, basically treated like crap. I hope you righteous brand loyalists are smugly content with your welcome......

too over the top you think?

A friend of mine has one and I've played it. Not bad. The only thing you have to watch is that I've heard a while back on another forum that the side wood is so thin' date=' you can almost push your finger through it. People were having problems with cracks developing. I checked my friend's and it was very thin.[/quote']

Thanks Wily Fool ....You have stated the points I was trying to make over in the "Forum Spirit Has Died" thread. The Gibson vs. Martin debate is not the point. The point is that the OP on this thread EXPECTED to get bashed and was was correct in his assumption!

It just completely sucks that the responses he received were mostly negative. Look at strummers response! If a friend came over to your house in person and was glowing with excitement about a new guitar they just spent a couple months of salary on .......would the above quote be the appropriate comments? Talk about a punch in the gut !!

If the rumors are true and strummer is to be Moderator .........then that makes his post doubly inappropriate !!

Ballcorner......I must agree with you about Guitarstrummer.......when it comes to Gibson.....there is really nothing "moderate" about him. I think moderation for a moderator is a good thing. I think this is a bad choice for the forum, especially with the recent history of what has happened. Hopefully this will change....

Yeah, I probably jumped the gun when I made the crack crack (get it? crack crack.....? Okay it wasn't that witty).

I guess when I'm handed more than one guitar that is less than a year old with the same crack in the same area I tend to get excited.

I just bought another Ovation so I best not be criticizing other companies about cracks. Ovations are like concrete. There are those that are cracked and those that WILL crack.

I hope I'm never invited to a real pissing contest. Between performance anxiety and a bad prostate I'd be eliminated in the first round.

Yeah' date=' I probably jumped the gun when I made the crack crack (get it? crack crack.....? Okay it wasn't that witty).

I guess when I'm handed more than one guitar that is less than a year old with the same crack in the same area I tend to get excited.

I just bought another Ovation so I best not be criticizing other companies about cracks. Ovations are like concrete. There are those that are cracked and those that WILL crack.

I hope I'm never invited to a real pissing contest. Between performance anxiety and a bad prostate I'd be eliminated in the first round.[/quote']

ksdaddy----since I am one of those pointing this out.......I just want to say that based on what I know of you and that you tend to look at things from the perspective of a Luthier.....I know your heart was in the right place re: your post.

I think if the tone of the majority of replies had be congratulatory and friendly....then a knowledgeable word of warning is a good thing....especially coming from someone with your background.

Archived