Gibson Brands Forums

That must be one heck of a guitar

jaxson50

Sh!t. That guitar is in Catonsville, about 20 minutes up the road from me! Maybe I'll go give it a test. cool.gif

Do it man! Hire a Porsche for an hour to pull up in out front, and then spend 20 minutes playing the intro to Sweet Child o Mine (but play it real sloppy) on it while they fawn over you and make you the coffee of your choice.

a fine day out! (Just don't drop the @#$%ker)

They apparently have nothing anyone can afford, Hell, they have empty guitacases priced at $3,750.00

That’s some pricey air

https://reverb.com/s...guitar-exchange

What's kinda funny, that place is right across the street from a big place called Bill's Music. I've been in Bill's countless times. I never even knew Guitar Exchange existed, until last summer I parked in that parking lot to attend an outdoor festival my friends band was playing. I saw a sign saying Guitar Exchange and commented to my wife that I'll have to check that place out sometime.

I see they also have a mint 1957 Goldtop. I wonder how it compares to my R7? eusa_think.gif

You could buy a new one for that price and still have enough left over for one of those:

https://www.ferrari.com/en-GB.

You have me convinced, Ian! Good plan!!!

msp_thumbup.gif

Interested to see which Ferrari I'd buy to go with my (soon-to-be-forthcoming-in-the-aforementioned-plan) 2018 R0 I had a look at the link. I quite fancied a LaFerrari Aperta. In Black with contrasting red pinstripe, please. Nice!...

Unfortunately there are two problems with that (otherwise excellent) plan.

Firstly there were only 200 made available to select customers and for reasons best known to themselves I wasn't on Ferrari's preferred list. Bizarre.

Secondly the LaF. Aperta costs more than 10x the price of the 1960 'burst so I probably couldn't get it past my Finance Director anyway. Not unless she gets to buy a LOT more shoes...

Pip.

Well it certainly is a beautiful guitar and I suppose there is some additional value if it's really the last one they made (and I have no reason to doubt that) before discontinuing the model for 8 years or so. But I have a hard time understanding the pricing. I know a collector guitar is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it - but how you get from maybe $10,000 for a rare guitar to $600,000 is beyond me.

I also realize that listening to the short demo through the crappy speakers attached to my computer is not an accurate way to hear what it really sounds like, but the tones didn't come off as $600K worth of amazing. Also thought they might have used a slightly higher end amplifier than a Princeton reverb?

I suppose someone buying a guitar like that is "investing" or "collecting" and not buying it to gig with. But to me guitars were meant to be played and my 2017 Standard does not sound $598,000 worse than that guitar.

I suppose someone buying a guitar like that is "investing" or "collecting" and not buying it to gig with. But to me guitars were meant to be played and my 2017 Standard does not sound $598,000 worse than that guitar.

Yes. That guitar looks like its come out of a vault. If it bought, it will go into another vault.

Its like those bottles of wine that are too expensive to drink.

I quoted you on this because it makes a lot of sense to me. Those of us who would play it all the time can't afford it and the ones who can afford it will never play it. That, to me, is just sad. And, as you said, I seriously doubt that guitar is that much better than any of mine. If I happened to come into 50 million dollars, I'd buy it as an investment and I'd play it, after having it insured with lots of pictures and documentation and insurance policy. It's more nostalgia and rarity now for those guitars. I'll stick to my 2-3000 dollar guitars because I love them and play them all the time.

Archived