Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird Studio Toggle Switch Issue

Feuervogel

Hi everybody! I purchased a new Firebird Studio T and the toggle switch doesn't work properly. In the center position only the neck pickup is active. Bridge and neck pickup work individually but not together. My question now is should I attempt to repair it myself, return it or file a Gibson warranty claim?

Thank you in advance!

Could be a bad soldering job at the switch, but if they both work independently and not together it is probably just a bent plate in the switch. If you take the back cover off behind the switch you can see two narrow strips of metal that touch the ball at the end of the switch. As you move the switch it will make contact with one of the plates, then move it to the other pickup it makes contact with the other plate. In the middle position it should be touching both of the plates.

Sometimes if the guitar is stored for a long period of time with the toggle in either the up or down position the little plates get slightly bent one way or the other, and then the ball doesn't make good contact with both in the middle position. Unscrew the toggle cover, loosen the toggle from the front and remove the switch from the back of the guitar. Just press the two plates toward the middle (to bend them back into position). This usually corrects the problem.

Hope that works, if not then you probably have some sort of soldering or wiring problem and I can't help with that.

Flip the switch back and forth vigorously a dozen times or so. If you have some DeOxit, spray some of that in the switch and flip it back and forth vigorously. Make sure both volumes are above halfway.

rct

Thank you for your replies guys! I checked the switch and it looked fine. It was making good contact in all 3 positions. I think what messed me up is that, as Eracer mentioned, the sound goes away if either volume Pot is turned down with the switch in the center position. Lesson learned. Thanks again!

Is there a consensus on which position the switch should be in when in the case? LP cases have that extra space for the switch, but there's none in my V case. If it's in the middle position, it sticks up a bit. But perhaps less harm done if it's pushed down in the middle position than in the neck or bridge position?

I know, I have an inquiring mind.

I'm a bit of a magnet for that problem. Where the individual settings of the toggle work fine, but in the middle, only one pup works (yes, volumes up). Had that happen a couple years ago with an EPI LP Trad Pro (replaced the switch)

Now within the last year, have the same thing with a new 2015 Gibson LP Trad, a new 2015 Gibson Flying V, and a new 2016 Guild Starfire III.

Not the worst problem to have, and worth it for the prices I paid.

No one?

I've been around guitars a very long time and I've never heard anyone ever voice a concern ever at any time ever about where the switch is ever while in the case on any guitar ever. Ever.

So, you know. Maybe.

rct

Is there a consensus on which position the switch should be in when in the case? LP cases have that extra space for the switch, but there's none in my V case. If it's in the middle position, it sticks up a bit. But perhaps less harm done if it's pushed down in the middle position than in the neck or bridge position?

I know, I have an inquiring mind.

Since I had this problem once in 48 years playing LPs I now try to make sure I store them in the middle position. That prevents the switch getting bent a little in one direction or the other. But like I said I only had the problem occur once so not sure how much effect storage position really has. To be safe I stay with the middle position.

Archived