Gibson Brands Forums

Warren Nunes

Pin

The recent thread on jazz made me think of my many attempts to get my head around it. An ongoing and never ending project I think.

One of the people I came across in my search on jazz guitar tutorial literature was Warren Nunes who certainly seemed an interesting character and a superb guitar player. It seems he was a speed freak before speed freaks were heard of. Barney Kessel described him as the "fastest" player.

Here is a You Tube tutorial from one of his books:

There is another video out there with him playing a "Blues Bach" with some pretty rapid picking.

EDIT: Here is the "Bach in Blue" YouTube:

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm a fan - have 4 of his books with the flexidiscs. The one I've benefited from the most is "Rhythm and Background Chords" which I mentioned in another thread - learnt a lot from that one, but the Blues one has some very useable changes and runs too.

I can't recommend "Rhythm and Background Chords" highly enough, though it's probably out of print now.

What I like about these books is that everything is presented very clearly in tab and score, and there is also the flexidisc.

All makes it much easier to play and everything in them is practical and useful.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm a fan - have 4 of his books with the flexidiscs. The one I've benefited from the most is "Rhythm and Background Chords" which I mentioned in another thread - learnt a lot from that one, but the Blues one has some very useable changes and runs too.

I can't recommend "Rhythm and Background Chords" highly enough, though it's probably out of print now.

What I like about these books is that everything is presented very clearly in tab and score, and there is also the flexidisc.

All makes it much easier to play and everything in them is practical and useful.

Ah, thanks jd, "Rhythm and Background Chords" indeed! Highly sought after it seems and I can't get a copy for love nor money. Well, not quite true I can get a copy for money - a LOT of it - so it seems I have to pass for now!

An interesting guy all round it seems. Consummate teacher (if he deigned to take you on) and respected among the jazz greats but always in the background. He was reputed to be a big guy and would often get into bar fights. I read somewhere he "had issues" which is always a nice way of talking about a troubled person.

Archived