Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Vol/Tone controls

stratele

Hi can anyone tell me how the volume/tone controls are configured on LP's? On my 1991 40th Anniv., the configuration is:

Lower vol/tone control, Bridge P/U

upper vol/tone control, Neck P/U

But when both P/U's are selected, the volume and tone controls act as one. In other words either upper or lower vol/tone control will adust the sound overall, there is no independent control over either P/U. I would of thought the controls would effect each P/u independently, allowing for a blend of volume and tone for each P/U. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the electrics? Hope this is clear, BTW!

They actually do work independently in the middle switch position, but it's somewhat difficult to discern the effect as the tone gets a bit muddy the minute you start to drop either volume pot. On a traditional configuration you can get some cool effects by tapering back one tone control to around 7 on the dial, or just drop out the neck PU a bit with the vol control, etc. It's a subtle effect. Clapton's Woman Tone was in part devised on the middle position by fiddling with the tone controls.

Archived