Gibson Brands Forums

Premier League

badbluesplayer

Do you all from Britain know that we get the Premier League live on TV here in the US? It's on TV in the morning over here and sports fans who can't get any live sports on TV early in the day can watch something decent. The announcer's like "Manchester City is almost at 'panic stations' at this point..." [biggrin]

It's on my ssschhhheduuule every Sunday morning. :lol:

...Where in the world can I go to find respite from football?...

Our house.

I doubt I've watched a game of footie in the UK in nearly 30 years - although we DID see the final of the 2006 World Cup when we were in France.

When I was a nipper I used to enjoy watching some of the Home International series but then that competition was scrapped for several reasons...

Pip.

I hate soccer. Rugby is awesome though. I wish we had more Rugby games televised here .

I really enjoy Rugby, especially Rugby Sevens. I even have an All Blacks rally towel that a friend of mine from NZ gave me when he visited several years ago.

Rugby rules. Who needs all those sissy pads?

my 2nd youngest daughter was on the girls Rugby team in college. she said they always looked at the football players and thought 'pfft, pussies" ... she loved Rugby. going to see her play was where I got into the game

I have a love/hate relationship with football. I hate what modern football has become. The amount of money involved is sickening - where a lot of the money comes from even more so. Even my towns team in the crappy Swedish top league is pretty much a foreign legion with only a few insignificant players with local connections - and I'm using the term 'local' in it's most generous meaning possible here.

The diving... I've gotten so used to it over the years that I more or less see it as part of the game now. Which is sad. It has spread to other sports as well. I remember when hockey players used to laugh at the football divers... the recent U21 WC was depressing to watch in that regard. Contact which in the past was handled by standing up and fighting for the puck is now handled by falling as easily and dramatically as possible, even laying on the ice in pain unable to get up - only to be in the starting line-up for the resulting power play 20 seconds later. Some teams were worse than others, but it seems it's anything to get an advantage these days.

That said, I still love football. I follow my town's team in the Swedish league, I go see some local teams in the lower series now and then. I even go see my towns top women's team sometimes. And while I've tried to stop several times, because it's so expensive to get it on TV, and it eats up so much time, and... well for the reasons up above too, I still follow the Premier League. English football has been on TV here since the 70's or so, so I grew up with it. Weekends feel weird without it. I also follow the German Bundesliga on and off, and I watch the odd match here and there from Spain and Italy. The Champions league, World Cup, European Cup, and all that as well.

So when all seasons are on (Sweden plays spring - fall seasons, so nothing on in the winter) I'm watching between 5 - 10 matches a week I guess.

Yeah, hate football.

Yup.. I don't watch it either...

The only footy I ever watch is the odd world cup game which can be interesting but we are useless and watching England play can be excruciating.....

National football I wasn't ever that in to but used to watch it more. I found as the money came in and most of the players arnt even English I found it all a bit pointless.. Its just about whos got the most money to spend on the best players.. This will probably make me sound old but when I was growing up, football was about supporting your local team and the players were local.. It felt more real to me. Today as it has been for years now, it just all seems pretty pointless.

Nothing like watching the Premiership and eating cold pizza on Saturday and Sunday mornings here in California. Been a big fan for a long time.

Harry Kane is legit, the best striker in England.

Manchester City losing to Liverpool 4-3. What a match!!!

Still, I'm all in for Tottenham Hotspur F.C.

Love their playing style.

I know that the Citizens are an awesome team too. Their ability to control the pace of the game with multiple passes is Man Cities biggest strength.

Thanks for the post. Love me some Premier League to start the weekend.

Another football non-fan here.

I used to play it a lot when younger (and not too bad either) but watch it...not a cat's chance.

Now cricket (another game I used to play a lot - more than football) is another matter.

I used to watch football until 2004 when I realised rugby was much more to my liking.

I don't mind playing though, I should have been playing 6 a side yesterday but my friends already had 12 by the time I knew what time I would be free from

Archived