Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended locking Tuners

harmonicchaos

I would not suggest any of them' date=' just some good ole grovers work fine. The idea of using locking tuners is a huge advertising fluke. If your looking for tuning stability after you installed the bigby these tuners will not be any better than stock. The key is the actual nut.[/quote']

I second this opinion. Unless you have a long tavel tremolo and do a lot of dive bombing, locking tuners are a waste of time and money. Any good quality tuning machine like Grover, Kluson, Schaller etc, will work for a lifetime on any properly setup guitar.

+1 to what guitarest said, and you dont need locking tuners, you just have to install your strings properly: not so much string going round and round the tuners.

You got yourself a roller bridge? If not, dont! Try the stock bridge first... most people will tell you "ok, now all you need is locking tuners and grpah tech bridge saddles" but that's because they did that and it worked for them, but had they tried the guitar as it came first, they would have realized the guitar worked fine to begin with, and there was no need to waste money.

+1 to what guitarest said' date=' and you dont need locking tuners, you just have to install your strings properly: not so much string going round and round the tuners.

You got yourself a roller bridge? If not, dont! Try the stock bridge first... most people will tell you "ok, now all you need is locking tuners and grpah tech bridge saddles" but that's because they did that and it worked for them, but had they tried the guitar as it came first, they would have realized the guitar worked fine to begin with, and there was no need to waste money.[/quote']

I'm wanting to get some nickel tuners (the vintage one's just don't do it for me, especially with the way i'm refinishing it). So i figure for around the same price, I might as well get locking ones.

I did not get a roller bridge. I've had everything stock for a while now and finally decided to get a graph tech nut and saddles. Haven't installed those yet. I am having some tuning problems (mostly due to string bends) so I want to give the graph techs a shot. So I am smart enough to try things stock before spending some cash on something I may not end up needing.

But if someone could actually answer the question instead of telling me that i don't need locking tuners, I'd appreciate it.

But if someone could actually answer the question instead of telling me that i don't need locking tuners' date=' I'd appreciate it. [/quote']

I think it depends on what you like... I'll say this at the risk of getting flamed...

Almost (if not all) brands make great products when talking about tuners... I preffer schallers but that's just me... but those you posted are ok... just make sure you chose the right size( those minis look terrible on gibsons)

Archived