Gibson Brands Forums

False Perceptions!

Digger

Not only am I claustrophobic, my biggest "fear" is not being able to breathe, so for me drowning or any type of suffocation is my "I don't want to go that way" but then again, I really don't know how I "want to go". I remember some years ago a comedian doing a routine about dying and he was talking to someone who said "I want to die in my sleep". The comedian then asked "And you go to bed every night?" [biggrin]

Spiders I don't care for but if I find them in the house, I just smash them with my fist, same as bees and wasps, I slap them fast between my hands and kill them as I've been stung many a times not bothering them so I don't fear them. Outside I leave them alone. I guess the ocean. I've been in it and swam, surfed too, but I'm not that great of a swimmer and while surfing in Hawaii once I was taken down deep a few times and hit the reef and wondered if I was going to make it back up again to breath fighting that surf. So I don't go in the ocean anymore and would hate to be eaten alive by a shark. Oh, and I won't touch snakes either, their interesting but don't want to mess with them.

Down here in Sarf Lahndn the biggest fear would probably be "Knife attack from a deranged & drug-addled 'Care in the Community' lunatic" but, sadly, that wasn't an option on the list.

FWIW I guessed the first two and my other choice was eighth on the list.

Pip.

I guess the ocean. I've been in it and swam, surfed too, but I'm not that great of a swimmer and while surfing in Hawaii once I was taken down deep a few times and hit the reef and wondered if I was going to make it back up again to breath fighting that surf. So I don't go in the ocean anymore and would hate to be eaten alive by a shark.

Me too here.

I swim laps in the pool every other day, religiously.

But during my longboard surfing days on the North Shore of Oahu, I was nearly drowned on two different occasions, when the big waves rolled in unexpectedly early.

Scared to death of the ocean now.

I'll get in the Gulf of Mexico, but only in the shallows.

[crying]

Other than a normal healthy aversion to any of those things, I don't think I have any phobias. However, I've said to my wife many times that if I ever die from some type of accident, it will more than likely be from choking on food. Especially pretzels. msp_scared.gif

How about that study they mentioned in the article. Who would allow their infant to be part of an experiment where they scare the child with a rat????

Humans have evolved to have fears, phobias and superstitions.

We're descended from ancestors who were more likely to make the mistake of being afraid of something, when there might not have been anything to be afraid of. When that mistake is made, there's no real consequence. Rather than ancestors who were inclined to not be afraid when there was real danger. In those cases they paid, by being eaten and then not passing their genes down to us.

Archived