Gibson Brands Forums

Surviving Long Distance Flights?

Digger

It looks likely that Gael & I will be flying to the UK in June or July.

We're getting on a cruise ship for 12 nights, 9 ports around Britain for a quick look see and maybe as a precursor for a longer land based trip later on.

Frankly the though of sitting in a plane for 21 hours is horrific (X 2) but a necessary evil to do the things we want to do.

So all you seasoned travellers, please pass on your tips for long haul flights.

If at all possible try to upgrade to business class. I know that sounds like "let them eat cake" but I'm very serious. Almost all have lie flat seats. Also if you can ask your physician for a short acting sedative to sleep then you'd be set. Relax, eat and have a glass of wine then try to sleep. It gets you into the destination time zone better and helps defeat jet lag which can be an absolute bear once past 50 years of age. I fly toEurope once or twice a year and also Asia so the flights can be anywhere from 11 hours duration to 13 (China). You can get from 5-8 or 9 hours of sleep. It helps so much.

1516230508[/url]' post='1910203']

If at all possible try to upgrade to business class. I know that sounds like "let them eat cake" but I'm very serious. Almost all have lie flat seats. Also if you can ask your physician for a short acting sedative to sleep then you'd be set. Relax, eat and have a glass of wine then try to sleep. It gets you into the destination time zone better and helps defeat jet lag which can be an absolute bear once past 50 years of age. I fly toEurope once or twice a year and also Asia so the flights can be anywhere from 11 hours duration to 13 (China). You can get from 5-8 or 9 hours of sleep. It helps so much.

That's a great idea Rob. And if you can get headphones and play Blues music to help you relax too.

I feel like I remember that you don’t drink alcohol, right Digger?

I’d say skip sleep the night before the flight so that you’re just exhausted when you get on the plane. Then sleep as much as possible on the flight, maybe listen to music or read or watch a movie for the rest.

A fast acting sleeping pill would be nice

The money is the problem there as we live on a disabled veterans’ pension but I will ask when we are booking in thanks...they can only say no I guess.

I’m pretty good at sleeping.

That's a great idea Rob. And if you can get headphones and play Blues music to help you relax too.

Yes mate, Spotify premium allows me to save as many tracks to my devices as I want and you don’t need internet to play them so I’m loading up heaps of stuff as we speak. I intend to get some Fitbit bluetooth earphones before then so I should be able to pair my phone or watch and play music. (without radiating too much)The problem there is that Gael will get grumpy if I’m not listening to her...grin~

I’m actually banking on self hypnosis to get me through but of course it’s untested (for me) in a situation like that.

Take your Kindle. That's for sure!

Write some letters.

Invent something.

And don't forget to pick me up something nice while you're in the U.K.

Kindle is a no brainer but thanks for reminding me, in fact I think we’ll be having new Kindle’s for the occasion as my battery only lasts a few hours now and both are a bit long in the tooth.

I will also try to accumulate a few books before then although I have 300 or more in my device currently plus I have a store of some 2000 books which I will pick through carefully and load 10 or 20 as a reserve. I like some of the classics anyway.

Fortunately these books have no DMR.

Pick you up something?

Blonde, Brunette or Redhead?

I feel like I remember that you don’t drink alcohol, right Digger?

Yes good memory I gave alcohol up about 18 months agaoI’d say skip sleep the night before the flight so that you’re just exhausted when you get on the plane. Then sleep as much as possible on the flight, maybe listen to music or read or watch a movie for the rest.

A fast acting sleeping pill would be nice

Good memory, I gave up alcohol about 18 months ago and don’t miss it a bit.

Reading will be my main activity and maybe a movie as long as they don’t charge extra for that facility. I really find it hard to see something I like but maybe I’ll be gladly lowering my standards for this long flight....Grin~

We will likely be staying in a hotel the night before so not getting much sleep could well be the result of that??? Staying awake voluntarily might be a bit hard as I struggle to stay awake during the day sometimes....Grin~

I gave up sleeping pills about when I stopped drinking and besides the best you get is 6 hours even from the stronger ones...ask me how I know??

Thanks for your advice my friend.

You're right it doesn't hurt to ask. I once had an economy ticket to France and was late at the airport. There was no one in the business class line so I went over there and told them that I had an economy ticket but was about to miss the flight so could they please check me in. I told the nice lady that I was going to visit my 94 year old grandmother (it was the truth). The lady smiled and said, "How would you like to fly to Paris in Business class?" I replied "That would be Tres Bon!" True story. Awesome flight.

Digger, are you flying Qantas or another airlines? I flew on Qantas from LA to Sydney and back several years ago so I do have some specific experience with them. Any other airline would be just generic advice on my part.

Hi Dig, I do that trip pretty much every year - mind you I tend to go in November when its cheaper (though I also tend not to be the one paying) and not very busy on the planes.

If you are going Qantas (as I do - I prefer my airline to have a longstanding perfect record of keeping the thing in the air) then they will be via Singapore rather than Dubai by then as its about to change - that means on the way out the shorter sector is first rather than second - obviously reverse going back. Though come to think of it your ex Melbourne so probably both similar?...anyway, everyone is different so can't be definitive but consider...

Arrival time - I usually arrive at LHR about 6am on QF1...and always wish I took a flight that arrived at 4pm. Check the flight options.

Travel Class - Business is awesome but the chance of being upgraded to business in peak season is...well, consider premium economy (its pretty good and about twice the econ price but one third the price of business) but econ is Ok too.

Drink, drugs etc - if you are someone who sleeps on planes you'll sleep, if not you'll doze of be awake. How it is.

On board - buy the $1 foam earplugs at the hardware store, plus a few spares. This lowering of engine noise is unbelievable - and you don't hear half the conversations. I cannot justify suggesting reading, because in economy the lights are in the overhead and I have been quite ready to kill the %^$ who wants to have that light on in an otherwise dark part of the cabin when trying to get to sleep.

Seats - if Qantas you can choose your seats - go for near the back on the second last section if its the big airbus to avoid being near the toilets and the associated people standing around you while you want to sleep. (or upstairs isn't too bad). In November people in Econ can really spread out a bit, not sure about mid year though.

lots more, but just ask if anything specific - I have learned a lot of tricks cos I don't like the long trip ...strange thing is that you always make it somehow.

You pensioners are doing alright! [scared] ... [smile] enjoy.

Digger, are you flying Qantas or another airlines? I flew on Qantas from LA to Sydney and back several years ago so I do have some specific experience with them. Any other airline would be just generic advice on my part.

Most likely QANTAS but we havent booked yet. I can say with certainty it won’t be Malaysian Airlines Airlines~

I was hoping you would comment Scalesie because i know this is something you have recent experience with.

I have no interest in visiting any country that has a lot of sand other than on the beach! Singapore is fine and will be an objective to plan for. Seeing our travel agent Monday so will certainly trying for that and maybe an extra day there.

I note your comments about arrival times thank you.

I’m also leery of some airlines and unless Virgin does that same trip then it will be QANTAS.

Unfortunately as pensioners we won’t be paying for an upgrade and will grin & bear it I suppose. As long as i can still walk at the other end, it will be alright!

No I won’t be doing drugs or drink mate.

I have my own earplugs and will pick up some Fitbit earplugs to go with my watch as it holds 300 tracks and then there’s my phone, assuming you can use bluetooth on a plane otherwise it will be the phone with headphones plugged in. Spotify Premium allows you to hold music on your device so no internet needed. I must check the bluetooth aspect though!

Reading we will have Kindle Paperwhite's which have their own illumination so light not needed.

Your advice for seating is much appreciated and as it happens instinctively I would have done pretty much what you recommend as on our flight to Cairns last year we were near the toilets at the back and it was a pain having people queuing near you all the time. I keep away from the wings if I can and I’d rather be up the back for survivability as I’ve never heard of a plane backing into a mountain...grin~

Yeah as pensioners, we are doing very nicely thank you very much. (There’s no point in dying with a lot in the bank...the kids only get it)

quote name=''Scales' timestamp='1516244699' post='1910273']

Hi Dig, I do that trip pretty much every year - mind you I tend to go in November when its cheaper (though I also tend not to be the one paying) and not very busy on the planes.

If you are going Qantas (as I do - I prefer my airline to have a longstanding perfect record of keeping the thing in the air) then they will be via Singapore rather than Dubai by then as its about to change - that means on the way out the shorter sector is first rather than second - obviously reverse going back. Though come to think of it your ex Melbourne so probably both similar?...anyway, everyone is different so can't be definitive but consider...

Arrival time - I usually arrive at LHR about 6am on QF1...and always wish I took a flight that arrived at 4pm. Check the flight options.

Travel Class - Business is awesome but the chance of being upgraded to business in peak season is...well, consider premium economy (its pretty good and about twice the econ price but one third the price of business) but econ is Ok too.

Drink, drugs etc - if you are someone who sleeps on planes you'll sleep, if not you'll doze of be awake. How it is.

On board - buy the $1 foam earplugs at the hardware store, plus a few spares. This lowering of engine noise is unbelievable - and you don't hear half the conversations. I cannot justify suggesting reading, because in economy the lights are in the overhead and I have been quite ready to kill the %^$ who wants to have that light on in an otherwise dark part of the cabin when trying to get to sleep.

Seats - if Qantas you can choose your seats - go for near the back on the second last section if its the big airbus to avoid being near the toilets and the associated people standing around you while you want to sleep. (or upstairs isn't too bad). In November people in Econ can really spread out a bit, not sure about mid year though.

lots more, but just ask if anything specific - I have learned a lot of tricks cos I don't like the long trip ...strange thing is that you always make it somehow.

You pensioners are doing alright! [scared] ... [smile] enjoy.

loads of free movies (recent, classic, whatever)and albums and tv shows on the on-board entertainment system Dig - just choose what you want(all individual screens and headphones)... so I've never found much need to take music - good chance to listen/see something different.

PS - There's a camera mounted in the tail of the plane facing forward which you can tune into which is cool to watch yourself land and take-off (better in daytime, but ok at night too). Ask the girls on board how to find it on the entertainment system if interested.

Back in the prop plane days it took around 44 hours air time to make Japan. It took five days before one could walk straight! In 2002 flying a modern wide body, in comfort, it was only 12 hours. Didn’t notice a lot of jet lag then. Then a trip to Germany in 2014 on another wide body, in great comfort, it took us about 6 hours. The big difference between domestic and overseas flying is astronomical! Let’s put it this way – I would rather walk than fly domestic and the airlines should pay us to fly.

It looks likely that Gael & I will be flying to the UK in June or July.

We're getting on a cruise ship for 12 nights, 9 ports around Britain for a quick look see and maybe as a precursor for a longer land based trip later on.

Frankly the though of sitting in a plane for 21 hours is horrific (X 2) but a necessary evil to do the things we want to do.

So all you seasoned travellers, please pass on your tips for long haul flights.

No alcohol

Plenty fluids

Melatonin for jet lag

Excercise as much as possible

Noise cancelling headphones and earplugs

Good to hear that my friend, thanks very much. As for doing without my music, never happen!

loads of free movies (recent, classic, whatever)and albums and tv shows on the on-board entertainment system Dig - just choose what you want(all individual screens and headphones)... so I've never found much need to take music - good chance to listen/see something different.

PS - There's a camera mounted in the tail of the plane facing forward which you can tune into which is cool to watch yourself land and take-off (better in daytime, but ok at night too). Ask the girls on board how to find it on the entertainment system if interested.

Most likely QANTAS but we havent booked yet. I can say with certainty it won’t be Malaysian Airlines Airlines~

Air New Zealand is also outstanding.

I took Malaysian air once. TV's all over the plane had arrows pointing to Mecca. You had to time your bathroom breaks when the plane was flying in a favorable direction. [scared]

Air New Zealand is also outstanding.

I took Malaysian air once. TV's all over the plane had arrows pointing to Mecca. You had to time your bathroom breaks when the plane was flying in a favorable direction. [scared]

Or the pilot wasn’t trying to play hide & seek in the Indian Ocean~

Archived