Gibson Brands Forums

P90 & Humbucker

Karloff

I can't give you the whole story you are looking fer, but what I can tell ya Doug the SG Special (dual stock P90s) that I've had since like 2006, is one helluvah smoking beast.

If I named guitars, this one would be "Rip Snorten"

Thanks Ray. and 1st off, I'm glad you're ok, from the accident.

yea, my initial thought was going with Gibson's P94's or Hum 90's from the Creamery. thanks.

I personally LOVE the p90 neck/hum bridge configuration.

I wish it came on more models actually.

This is my LP Studio Gem that originally came with two P90's, but someone modded it before I bought it. I find it to be an amazing combination.

mdaIisi.jpg

My thought is that if you are just swapping humbuckers to fat cats, try the neck only first and you can always swap the bridge later.

NHTom

Thanks Ray. and 1st off, I'm glad you're ok, from the accident.

there will be pain, the insurance company (Met Life) is dragging their feet at the moment...

typical w/those greedy f---kers... make sure to pay us every month, and when you need us, we won't get your back...

jeeze I complain about the insurance company not calling me back, and with in 5 minutes of posting that last reply,, they call me.

So with that.

I really NEED 10 Million Dollars please...........

...I'll be waiting.....

Ah, the power of the Gibson Lounge .

jeeze I complain about the insurance company not calling me back, and with in 5 minutes of posting that last reply,, they call me.

So with that.

I really NEED 10 Million Dollars please...........

...I'll be waiting.....

It's been 10 minutes. Has your 10 Mill arrived yet?

But Doug. I agree with Tom regarding the pups ( for Sparky msp_flapper.gif ) . I would leave the HB in the bridge position. Just my .02

It has probably become my favourite pickup combination.

One of the reasons I started making guitars is because I wanted a P90/Hummer combo and Gibson didn't make any at that time.

I also had a Gary Moore BFG that had a P90 and Burstbucker 3.. Ohh man that thing sounded monstrous. And the one things that made it most different was the middle position.. One of the most interesting sounding middle positions ive ever heard.. It sort of sounds like the pickups are fighting each other, but in a good way :)

This one I made about 6 months ago has a Burstbucker 2 and a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (hummer sized P90).. I never got too play it much but the guy who owns it says he absolutely loves it.. And he has a LP Classic 1960 and a Fender 63 Strat.. In his words, that guitar absolutely just wants to rock.. It begs for it :)

TBNdQuM.jpg

This is the BFG I had

mkPVV5C.jpg

Lastly id always go for the humbucker sized P90.. that way if you ever decided you want to change it opens the options up a bit more.

I can't say that I've tried it but after having Les Pauls with P90's and Burstbucker Pro's, I think that would be a pretty cool combination. My neck pickup P90 is perfect for clean/jazz/blues. The Burstbucker in the bridge will tear your head off. I'd go for a combination like that. Lots of people chose guitars with a combination of single coil and humbuckers.

It has probably become my favourite pickup combination.

One of the reasons I started making guitars is because I wanted a P90/Hummer combo and Gibson didn't make any at that time.

I also had a Gary Moore BFG that had a P90 and Burstbucker 3.. Ohh man that thing sounded monstrous. And the one things that made it most different was the middle position.. One of the most interesting sounding middle positions ive ever heard.. It sort of sounds like the pickups are fighting each other, but in a good way :)

This one I made about 6 months ago has a Burstbucker 2 and a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (hummer sized P90).. I never got too play it much but the guy who owns it says he absolutely loves it.. And he has a LP Classic 1960 and a Fender 63 Strat.. In his words, that guitar absolutely just wants to rock.. It begs for it :)

TBNdQuM.jpg

This is the BFG I had

mkPVV5C.jpg

Lastly id always go for the humbucker sized P90.. that way if you ever decided you want to change it opens the options up a bit more.

I'd love to have a Rabswood double cut someday. thats beautiful

I'd love to have a Rabswood double cut someday. thats beautiful

Cheers..

And yes I have to agree :).. I actually built that guitar with me in mind, it has my neck specs (slim) and my perfect pickup combo... I thought, if it doesn't sell im definitely going to keep it.. But then the first guy I showed it too offered to buy it, and well im meant to be in business so I sold it :) I guess I can always make another but I doubt I will ever see a piece of wood quite like that again.

This is the guitar builders official lament!

And true too.........

[laugh]

:) Well yes.. Indeed EVERY piece of wood is actually unique.... But I knew from the first second I saw the raw wood that this one was going to be really special. I actually miss that guitar :unsure:

KAFMPyw.jpg

Duncan P-Rails with triple-shot rings

You get 4 sounds, P90, Rail, Series humbucker, Parallel humbucker.

The P90 sounds about 95% soapbar, it's just a little thinner.

The Rail sound is the weakest in output, but using two in the rail position gives a reasonable strat sound in the neck/mid position

One of the humbucker positions sounds quite good - very gibson-like and the other thinner, like a mini-humbucker for Johnny Winter tone.

NN03_TShot_B4.jpg

I'm very happy with them, as it gives me different voices for different kinds of music but with only having to carry one guitar.

I probably use P90 tone more than the others combined though, because I love the attack sound of the P90 and the dynamic response.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived