Gibson Brands Forums

Them Old Magnetic Pickup With Internal Microphone Blues

BluesKing777

Woke up this morning, and my J45 still had the Fishman Rare Earth Blend pickup in the soundhole, so I played a blues direct to my mixer and computer:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/j45-pickups7b

Photo of guitar without soundhole pickup:

k0VK7fDh.jpg

BluesKing777.

I like the way my Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker sounds in all my guitar. This past year I ran it through a gain pedal cause I like what the gain does to it but for years I didn’t and it still was great. I like it the Rare Earth for its sound, not with any expectation that its a pure acoustic sound. Only pure acoustic is pure acoustic. I like the sound the Rare Earth produces. I have 3 of them and my numerous guitars share them as needed between them as needed. None are permanently installed, I let the cord hang out the sound hole. I kinda like that look and it enables me to switch em between guitars.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

My Fishman is the Rare Earth ‘Blend’ with the attached condenser mic.

In the recording above, I have the mic on full with just a touch of the Rare Earth mag part for some bottom end ....the mic on its own sounds a bit hollow, so I move the blend wheel towards mag just a hair...until I hear some bottom end kick in. I don’t like the sound of the mag pickup with no mic.

Mine is the old model - the mic arm is a bit long and I may buy the new one with short arm....I may spend the money on a Tonedexter instead!

The old model like mine:

http://www.mooloolabamusic.com.au/fishman-rare-earth-blend-with-mic-for-acoustic-ste

The new model:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Acoustic_Guitar_Pickups/Fishman_Rare_Earth_Magnetic_Mic_Blend_Soundhole_Pickup.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2018-01-gp&pref_currency=F&shipcalc=AUS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyeWY3ojq2AIVSxSPCh3jLQcZEAQYASABEgIOcPD_BwE

BluesKing777.

As I own a CF-100E I have a P-90 fired flattop (sexy one too). My other guitars get Dearmond 210s and one Kent knock off which I scored NOS in its box. If you want that Lightnin' Hopkins/Elmore James vibe though, these are the way to go. Eveything gets plugged into a freaky clean early 1960s Standel amp.

The most legendary flattop soundhole pickup of all time, however, remains the Dimarzio DP 139. I foolishly let mine go with a guitar. Dimarzio, of course, then stops producing them. Nothing out there today that compares. Hard as all get out to snag used these days as nobody lets go of them.

My 1959 LG3 came with a DeArmond in the soundhole,, , not really the sound I wanted so I took it out and had a undersaddle put in so I could use the Aura box. The DeArmond went in the Hummingbird copy, now serving as ornament guitar in the hallway..... :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Archived