Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day and Flight Case Search

Andy Wood

Just got a 1955 J45 and it's everything I hoped it would be! I need some help finding a Flight case for it- where should I look to find a Calton, Hoffee, Main Stage case? Any suggestions? I'm buying if anyone has an extra one. Glad to have such a great vintage instrument!

Just got a 1955 J45 and it's everything I hoped it would be! I need some help finding a Flight case for it- where should I look to find a Calton, Hoffee, Main Stage case? Any suggestions? I'm buying if anyone has an extra one. Glad to have such a great vintage instrument!

Congratulations on your new addition. Hopefully we’ll get to see some photos. After doing far too much research on cases to transport my guitars back and forth to Australia, I settled for the Hiscox Artist. They have done 4 return trips so far and I can’t recommend them enough. I bought mine from Elderly Instruments.

I only own one really good case but would not recommend it. The case itself is great, it is a tank - an Armitage. Unfortunately it weighs as much as one. I keep my 1942 J-50 in it. I do not really need it as I only gig rarely and have no reason to believe the guitar will ever see the inside of the belly of plane but I found an open box case (meaning I snagged it on the cheap) and bought it in anticipation of a rather long move.

As Caltons cost more than many of my guitars, the Hiscox seems to be a good choice.

I got a Hiscox II... fits my J45, J50, and D18. When I gig it is the case I use. All the original cases are left pristine. It is light, strong, with a great lip design that avoids case-bite. A great value, especially if you get them on sale. I got mine in ivory, which also looks sharp.

Ooh check out his guy with his white case

BK got one of those too

Ooh check out his guy with his white case

BK got one of those too

Inferring what exactly?

My middle name should be Hiscox!

I have two cream Hiscoxes...

T03rSKdl.jpg

And the first thing I noticed about Lowden Guitars was.......ha ha, they all come in their Lowden branded Hiscox!!!!

Nbwvejdl.jpg

BluesKing777.

Shockingly, no one has mentioned SKB Cases. When you say "Flight case for it" are you wanting TSA compliant locks? I have the TSA002 and have flown with it, with my Strat, many times without incident. I love it. My Strat is far from my #1 guitar anymore but when I travel it is always my travel companion purely because I have this case. I can travel knowing it is safe. BTW, yes, I always check it.

Even if I'm not flying it's the one that goes with me. I throw it in the back seat and where ever I end up going it can get knocked around and I know the hard case is protecting it.

Shockingly, no one has mentioned SKB Cases.

I looked at those several years ago and they are nice. But their acoustic case weighs over 23 pounds and my Hiscox weighs 13 pounds. I wanted something I could reasonably carry around along with my suitcase. The Hiscox is lighter than my 2008 J-50's original case.

Shockingly, no one has mentioned SKB Cases. When you say "Flight case for it" are you wanting TSA compliant locks? I have the TSA002 and have flown with it, with my Strat, many times without incident. I love it. My Strat is far from my #1 guitar anymore but when I travel it is always my travel companion purely because I have this case. I can travel knowing it is safe. BTW, yes, I always check it.

I've got one of those that I would sell. Its brand new...never been used. I bought it for a trip that never took place so its been sitting for a couple years.

Well, we have a pretty good selection of flight cases, We sort of assign them based on the values of our guitars.

We have an original original 1935 D-28s in our marvelous black early Mark Leaf -- magically strong but pretty heavy. No locks.

We have three full sized Caltons -- for our 36 AJ, 1936 J-35b (Trojan) and 39 D-28, and a 000 sized Calton 1938 000-28, and a 00 sized Calton (00-40H 1934).

We have three other old guitars in in black Hiscox cases. -- 38 D-18, 1935 Jumbo, and 35 RSRG. We recently got a Hoffee which right now has a 35 D-18.

These are all pretty heavy except the Hoffee.

Let' pick,

-Tom

Another plus for Hiscox. They are very good.I have 2 Ivory PROII cases.

I must say however, after a few years the Ivory looks grim - dirty and brown stained,

and difficult to clean.But after about 12 years, I cant complain.

I’ve just got back from a gig with my ‘35 Dobro M32 fiddle edge reso, and was admiring the Hiscox case I keep it in. It’s a unique and irreplaceable 83yr old instrument, and I would only transport it in a Hiscox, Calton or SKB case, personally speaking.

It’s one of my favourite guitars ever...play one note and all the sorrows and mysteries of the world pour out of it. If it was broken, I would be, too.

I’ve just got back from a gig with my ‘35 Dobro M32 fiddle edge reso, and was admiring the Hiscox case I keep it in. It’s a unique and irreplaceable 83yr old instrument, and I would only transport it in a Hiscox, Calton or SKB case, personally speaking.

It’s one of my favourite guitars ever...play one note and all the sorrows and mysteries of the world pour out of it. If it was broken, I would be, too.

Which Hiscox does the Dobro fit in, Jinder?

And if the guitar is as heavy as my 1976 Dobro metal body, weighing in at about 3 ton, you need bike training wheels, a golf buggy or a motorised trolley!

BluesKing777.

I have four Calton cases. One for my 1999 Martin HD-28V, my 2007 Gibson J-45TV, my 1947 Gibson LG-2, and my Taylor BTO Grand Concert (sinker redwood top), and I do fly with them. The only other case I would think about using is the Main Stage brand because they are really the Calton cases that were made in Canada (as these are also). The only difference in the Main Stage cases and the Calton case now being made in Texas is the Caltons are a bit bulkier. So for me,it is the Calton/Main Stage cases.

Which Hiscox does the Dobro fit in, Jinder?

And if the guitar is as heavy as my 1976 Dobro metal body, weighing in at about 3 ton, you need bike training wheels, a golf buggy or a motorised trolley!

BluesKing777.

Haha mine is a lot lighter than the OMI Dobros thankfully! It’s steel rather than brass and very lightly built. Apparently the brass M35s from the same era were a LOT heavier and more expensive, but the M32 has a lovely light character to it, a bit like a Duolian vs a Style O...Iove it!

My Hiscox is the Parlour/Classical case. It’s not an absolutely perfect fit owing to the Dobro’s slightly adjuncted upper bout (think Kalamazoo KG11) but it’s as good as I can find for it, and good enough for me.

Archived