Gibson Brands Forums

Pic Added..New to Forum and Gibsons...how do I stop???

xxxlshane

Hello All,

I have been reading for a while but I am new to posting. While I have not been playing very long I wanted to by a good guitar from the get go. Honestly I have played off and on (mostly off) for many years but decided to become truly dedicated to playing about a year ago.

I decided I wanted to get a good guitar, previously only had cheap ibanez, so after much research and trying MANY different guitars I fell in love with and bought a Les Paul traditional in Ice Tea....Really like/love the guitar and finally realize when you long time players say "I just don't want to put it down".

Then I replaced my cheapo practice amp with a fender Hot Rod Deville tube amp..WOW what a difference.

Then I thought...a man can't have just one good guitar so I went on the search again and last week brought home a guitar that I had never seen before, had never heard of, but when I played it I had one of those...I must have this...moments. This guitar turned out to be an ES-359. Love the way it looks, feels, sounds, and compliments the Les Paul.

If you want I can post some pictures tonight..let me know.

My question is HOW DO I STOP wanting more Gibson's...I should be perfectly content. Please help.

Edit..to add the picture of my two Gibsons as promised.

DSC_0443.jpg

Thanks,

Why do you want to stop? I bought a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe back in '97 and that was the only electric I played until this year. I even sold my '63 Chet Atkins Country Gent because it wasn't being played.

Then I spotted a blonde Sheraton II while I was doing some horse trading at the local store and thought, that'd look good when I play electric guitar in church.

That was OK for a couple of months, until I played a friend's '70 or thereabouts ES-340. Instant dissatisfaction with Epi! Craigslist yielded a blonde 335 Dot for about half what I got for the Gretsch, so that didn't take long. I traded off the Sheraton....

That was the last one. All I need.

Or want.

Plenty of guitars -- three Precision basses, a couple of Dobros, two flat tops, what else to I need?

Sure miss that Bigsby on the CG.

Add an SG to the pile -- as soon as I recover it'll get a Bigsby.

That's it. All I need.

Or want.

Man, there's a cherry red 355 with a gold Bigsby on eBay....

If you want I can post some pictures tonight..let me know.

What do you mean "if you want"? Post away man... we are gibson addicts and we need those pics ASAP!

My question is HOW DO I STOP wanting more Gibson's...I should be perfectly content. Please help.

Thanks' date='[/quote']

Some say its a decease and some say it is an adiction... anyway, the only way to stop buying (and GASsing for) Gibsons is to go out there and buy yourself a nice USA made Fender Telecaster... But then you'll have the f problem....

Welcome and yes' date=' post pictures!

The only way to stop wanting more is to buy more.

Kinda like being in a hole. How do you get out of a hole? You dig your way out. :-k[/quote']

Dont listen to this guy... he is crazy and out of control... he just went out and bought every single les paul he could find... and then started with the other models... :-

Hmm' date=' let's see here. You're asking [b']US[/b] on how to stop wanting more. We're the ones waiting for our stimulus check to come in so that we can buy another Standard; we're the ones on our fourth mortgage to get the 50th anniversary R9; we're the ones who sell our blood (not to mention other fluids) for that Lester Goldtop we just saw in the window, etc.

And you're asking us? That's akin to asking people to go on a diet by getting bigger pants!!

BTW, congrats on your guitars. They look great. So, what's your next Gibson going to be?

Wow, nice guitars!

As one who has been playing since '61, and who has just purchased his 72nd guitar (I can recite all but two of them, and no, I don't still have all of them...how I wish!) there is no cure. You're under the spell of the evil mojo called G.A.S.: "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome". One bit of advice to any and all so afflicted: Never, under any circumstances, sell your beloved, one of a kind, special, whatever you want to call 'em, guitars. As someone who's had '54, '57 and '60 Les Pauls, '62 Tele, '57 Strat, '58 ES350T, '61 L7, '69 L5, '72 LP Custom, etc., take my advice, sleep in the car, get another girlfriend / wife, heck, FAMILY, but don't sell those guitars!

I had GAS once, but after buying my fifth guitar, I WAS CURED!...I ran out of money!:)

- '02 Epi LP Standard Plus HCS

- '85 Gibson/Epiphone S-900 (Strat-style body)

- '95 Alvarez Dana II

- '05 MIM Fender (Splatter) Strat

- '97 Slammer (Hamer) Pacer

And the list will eventually keep growing...damn! Withdrawals!

Archived