Gibson Brands Forums

LES PAUL FADED 2017

True Gain-Mark

hello everybody!

I've read some reviews about Les Paul faded (2017), seems not everyone liked it, but i'm still tempted to get one, quite cheap!

I would like to have a reliable Les Paul for touring without spending much money, would you recommend the 2017 faded or better get something else?

My first option was a Les Paul Classic (always 2017) sure another kind of quality (and price!) but you know, since the guitar is gonna be scratched touring around, i wish i could spare some cash and have anyway a decent and reliable Les Paul ; )

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Thanks guys! I never had a 2nd hand guitar before, but sure, never say never ; )

About the Classic 2017? What do you think? As far as i understood you don't like much the weight relief...or am i wrong?

I've tried one of those, Zebra humbucker, sounds great! "just" twice much faded price...that's the main problem here!

I'll look around anyway, when i'll get one i'll post something, i must confess this classic is tempting!

I can tell, or think I can tell, my Tribute has the 9-hole weight relief (compared to my Epi PlusTop LP) - it's excellent, but I don't think I'd want more weight relief.

The Ultra Modern weight relief, in theory, doesn't appeal to me, but I don't think I've ever actually played one!

I believe the concept at one point was refered as; "tuning a guitar body's resonant response" Most people find the 9 hole version is in the same tone 'ballpark' as the solid wood body. It is impossible to say without taking the same body and drilling it out, but most seem to think the 9 hole is 'the same' as solid I tend be in that group.

Probably all in my head.

Who knows for sure?

IM (limited) X there is no defining 'signature' for either 9-hole nor Solid-body - certainly out of my tiny test group of two 9-hole and two solid-body R-I's - but perhaps there are 'giveaways' to others out there? I've played quite a few hundred LPs over the last ten years or so and the only generalisation which seems to have much mileage (to me) is that concerning the tonal qualities of Chambered LPs. Between Solid and 9-hole? Not to my ears.

But, as I said at the start, Who knows for sure?

Pip.

I believe the concept at one point was refered as; "tuning a guitar body's resonant response" Most people find the 9 hole version is in the same tone 'ballpark' as the solid wood body. It is impossible to say without taking the same body and drilling it out, but most seem to think the 9 hole is 'the same' as solid I tend be in that group.

My 2017 Tribute (9 hole relief) is almost 9 pounds. The 2017 Standard (ultra modern relief) about 8.4 pounds. I can hear a difference in tone when they're not plugged in. The Tribute seems to have a little more sustain and a "louder" sound. Both have the same neck and freboard. Standard has the nitro finish, Tribute has the satin finish. The Tribute is considerably louder than the Standard when played by themselves without an amp. I have a little more bass resonance from the Tribute through an amp than the Standard, even though the Tribute has P90's and the Standard has Burstbucker-Pros.

I really like the 2017 Tributes and they're a step up from the Faded but not much difference in price. The 2017 and 2018 Classics are pretty awesome but twice what you're wanting to spend.

Archived