Gibson Brands Forums

All New Marshall DSL Range

Rabs

No

No

No

Maybe

Not a DSL kind of guy eh?

Did you see the Marshall Origin head? I will be checking it out for sure, it'd be super cool if they indeed capture vintage sounds or get close. I like the features and price.

I did not have the chance to look at the demos but I did see on Sweetwater that Marshall added effects loop and other features line line in and direct out to both DSL models, those SOBs, my DSL 15h does not have one but oh well, got that head for $300 so I guess that's OK.

Did you see the Marshall Origin head? I will be checking it out for sure, it'd be super cool if they indeed capture vintage sounds or get close. I like the features and price.

Handnt seen those..

NICE

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-new-marshall-origin-amps-aim-to-bottle-companys-50s-and-60s-roots

NAMM 2018: Marshall Amplification has announced the release of an all-new Origin range, a series of single-channel amps aiming to combine the crunchy feel and vibe of the company's heritage with modern features.

The amps' central feature is undoubtedly the ability to switch between wattages, meaning you can control how loud you need to be to reach that all-important distortion threshold - or how many watts you can pump before you do.

Three ECC83 preamp valves and two EL34 power valves are onboard, and should contribute to recognisably British tones, and there's also an effects loop if you want to run delays, reverbs and mods (and who doesn't, at least occasionally).

Back in the old school, there's a tilt control over the two primary preamp voicings - Normal and High Treble - alongside an onboard EQ.

We'll be heading the Marshall NAMM 2018 stand in the next couple of days, so stay tuned for our impressions of this highly desirable new range.

Marshall Origins will be available as heads and combos ranging from 15 to 50W, starting at around $520 and peaking out around the $850 mark for the flagship 50W 1x12 Valve Combo.

1zAk3GZ.jpg

fPrgC3g.jpg

Nope. The clean is sterile and the high gain sucks. Only the "crunch" is decent. I will investigate the Origin, but I'm pretty much at the point where point to point clones sound way better.

I like my DSL15 head after modding it, one resistor change on the clean channel top increase mids and a few other changes to reduce the fizz on the other channel, but I paid $300 for it, now way I think it is worth the $500 price tag.

I have seen a bunch of better clone offerings but man they are pricey. One day I may luck into one. I'd like a JCM800 voiced amp.

I have like 6 Marshall amps including a JCM 2000 DSL 401 - my Marshalls are made in England. Are any of these new Marshalls you're referring to the ones that are Made in Vietnam? I'm just curious..

These are made in Vietnam.

I have like 6 Marshall amps including a JCM 2000 DSL 401 - my Marshalls are made in England. Are any of these new Marshalls you're referring to the ones that are Made in Vietnam? I'm just curious..

The Origin is made in Vietnam... As are the DSLs

So what does that say about my Marshall Slash amp that was made in China :unsure:

Actually I don't care.. I love that little amp no matter where it was made :)

I agree with that attitude. You like it, so who cares what others think? If you can get good sounds out of it, rock on.

To me the country of manufacture is not so much the issue and the amount of printed circuitry inside. I played that Slash amp quite a bit. A friend had one for a month. To me it was just, meh. To him too. He's an amp builder and his clone stuff sounded better. He ditched it pretty quickly.

Have you ever owned any other Marshalls to compare it with? Vintage ones? Or any PTP clones? I have compared many of them side by side. The Slash doesn't come close to any of my other Marshall style amps. IMO it's an ok amp, but not a great amp.

But as you said, you like it and are happy with it, so rock on! [thumbup] If it is inspiring to you it is doing its job.

I agree with that attitude. You like it, so who cares what others think? If you can get good sounds out of it, rock on.

To me the country of manufacture is not so much the issue and the amount of printed circuitry inside. I played that Slash amp quite a bit. A friend had one for a month. To me it was just, meh. To him too. He's an amp builder and his clone stuff sounded better. He ditched it pretty quickly.

Have you ever owned any other Marshalls to compare it with? Vintage ones? Or any PTP clones? I have compared many of them side by side. The Slash doesn't come close to any of my other Marshall style amps. IMO it's an ok amp, but not a great amp.

But as you said, you like it and are happy with it, so rock on! [thumbup] If it is inspiring to you it is doing its job.

Well this is the first tube amp I have actually owned.. But ive never been a big amp freak, I can usually dial in a sound I like on almost any amp.. This one I actually bought mainly to show my guitars off and it does a great job of impressing people at the shows. Ive also taken it too a jam (Farns used it) where again it performed really well at high volumes..

I have however played through many different Marshalls at the various jams ive done over the years so I have heard many.. My regular one when I was in a band was a JCM 2000.

While I know that the SL5 (like the ADF) is voiced in quite a specific way, the fact it has a full sized speaker which you don't always find on a small 5w I think really makes it.. Ive never had an issue getting a sound I like out of it, but then im just not that fussy I guess :)

I just have no real need for anything else.. I don't play out and hardly play through the amp at home cos im in a small flat (apartment).... So im alright with it.. If I played out id probably have more than one.

Archived