Gibson Brands Forums

Suhr Aura.

LarryUK

What's people's view on this? I can't see why a company like Suhr has to do a clear copy of a Les Paul. They could do a great alternative. Just like Knaggs have.

I think maybe,, it's what they do...

they have Strats and Teles too, and they are NOT cheap but supposedly, top notch quality.

That is pretty nice looking..

If this was Facebook, and if I had an account, and if my kids showed me the right button to push...I'd like it.

Haha, well done sir! As for the guitar, I like it. I've been watching a lot of Tim (Pierce) and Pete guitar shows on YouTube lately and Pete Thorn plays a number of Suhr guitars. I figure if session guitarist's like those two, who don't get caught up in name but rather focus on sound, tone, playability, stability, and qualtiy use these they must be pretty good!! The top on this is amazing. Probably CS level pricing though.

Looked at their website to see how much these might be selling for. No price yet, but they are limited to a run of 100 with availability in summer of 18'. At only 100 scheduled for production I bet they will be HIGH!! Still very nice though.....looking at least. Love to hear what it sounds like.

Looked at their website to see how much these might be selling for. No price yet, but they are limited to a run of 100 with availability in summer of 18'. At only 100 scheduled for production I bet they will be HIGH!! Still very nice though.....looking at least. Love to hear what it sounds like.

Not sure, but that will cost some coins for sure I think.. Believe the Suhr strat and tele copies are in the mid to upper $2k range

It's pretty and I like it and it probably plays and sounds well. But, if I want a Les Paul, I'll buy a Gibson Les Paul, especially if they're the same price.

If my guess is in the right ball park when it comes the Suhr guitars, the Les Paul would be likely cheaper!..

It Suhr is pretty!

I believe I'm right in saying Mark Knopfler was also a long-time Suhr 'Strat' player and if their stuff is good enough for him...

Pip.

EDIT : I just checked my statement above and he did play Suhr. They even released a MK Sig model. It's list price was $7,700...

I think maybe,, it's what they do...

they have Strats and Teles too, and they are NOT cheap but supposedly, top notch quality.

That is pretty nice looking..

Suhr (google JS Technology) makes awesome quality guitars from what I'm told. Don't own any myself, but they are supposedly as "good as it gets". I own a Gibby LP Standard that I bought 10 years ago (new) but given the recent comments I've seen on Gibby's QC, I'd have no problem buying a Suhr, although with only 100 being made, I'm guessing that this model will start somewhere around $4K USD. My opinions on quality and cost only, no other affiliation with Suhr or JST. And yeah, that's a nice looking guitar.

My opinion is, After the QC issues (yes there are genuine issues. Just get a Facebook/YouTube account to see some.) and the talk of Gibson going bust. I think other companies are getting ready to step up to the mark with the sales drop. But why copy? My choice would be Knaggs. ESP Mystique or even PRS SC. I think having a guitar made would have poor resale anyhow. My only worry is that if Gibson went under, who would buy them? China? I hope not.

Up there with Jimi Mac's Corsa (link to thread below), and lots of other Corsa's for that matter...

Jimi Mac's one of the guys I miss from the old-ish days.

He certainly knew his PG's F-Mac stuff....

And yes, the Larry Corsa / Manalishi instruments really are quite something.

I remember checking them out way-back-when and the double-cut Jimi eventually bought was absolutely unique; a genuine one-off. Very Sweet Indeed!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Indeed Pip.

It'd be interesting to know who these types of instruments are sold to. Would a working guitarist buy them (could most afford them?) or would they be happy with a lesser workhorse with their choice of pickups? (Do working muso's use Gibson Custom Shop LPs?). Or just to enthusiasts who for whatever reason don't care that it doesn't say Gibson on it, but like the shape?

It'd be interesting to know who these types of instruments are sold to. Would a working guitarist buy them (could most afford them?) or would they be happy with a lesser workhorse with their choice of pickups? (Do working muso's use Gibson Custom Shop LPs?). Or just to enthusiasts who for whatever reason don't care that it doesn't say Gibson on it, but like the shape?

I think you'd have to be in a sucessful band to afford and gig ths type of guitar. Or perhaps have a good job and gig as a hobby. I wouldn't gig my Hamer Sunburst as it's mint.

Surely its easier to isolate makers that dont make LP & Strat copies. Pretty much everyone has to make these popular clone models to stay in business.

Some of them cost as much (or more) than the 'real thing'.

The assumption here is that the original is always better. I'm not convinced that is really true. I've witnessed a very cheap Vintage LP copy that sounded as good as any LP I have ever heard.

Personally, if I found a Duesenberg, Suhr or Maybach (all high end brands) copy that sounded better than Gibson or Fender, then I would choose it in preference.

Surely its easier to isolate makers that dont make LP & Strat copies. Pretty much everyone has to make these popular clone models to stay in business.

Some of them cost as much (or more) than the 'real thing'.

The assumption here is that the original is always better. I'm not convinced that is really true. I've witnessed a very cheap Vintage LP copy that sounded as good as any LP I have ever heard.

Personally, if I found a Duesenberg, Suhr or Maybach (all high end brands) copy that sounded better than Gibson or Fender, then I would choose it in preference.

[/quote ]

I'd match this against an original 59 Les Paul any day.

22448624_10214125162145988_7637296125812810561_n.jpg?oh=1ce626eb6ed08125619b3468faaccd19&oe=5AE93FBF22449769_10214125161225965_1693810431416591261_n.jpg?oh=e556fd647b1c7edecb1b95a5a4fd7d24&oe=5B1AE5B9

I know a guy who plays Suhr's. He loves them.

I don't get this guitar though. It's a Les Paul "copy" made buy a company that makes Fender copies who decides to celebrate their anniversary by making a copy guitar they've never made before at a price where you could just by a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.

Doesn't make sense. That must be why they're only making 100...

msp_biggrin.gif

...It'd be interesting to know who these types of instruments are sold to. Would a working guitarist buy them (could most afford them?) or would they be happy with a lesser workhorse with their choice of pickups? (Do working muso's use Gibson Custom Shop LPs?...
...I think you'd have to be in a successful band to afford and gig this type of guitar. Or perhaps have a good job and gig as a hobby. I wouldn't gig my Hamer Sunburst as it's mint...

I don't know for sure who buys them but probably serious professional musicians.

I doubt there is a huge number of collectors who target Suhr over, say, Vintage Fender or even some Gibson Custom Shop Collector's Choice Les Pauls.

FWIW (not much) I genuinely think the Manalishi / Larry Corsa guitars are bought by regular players who don't give a fig about the lack of 'Gibson' on the peghead. In fact I'd go further and say they are probably bought by the experienced musician who appreciates the superb craftsmanship and the chance to spec. the guitar to their liking. There is always the possibility that they take quiet pleasure in having something VERY special that none but the connoisseur would recognise...

I think of it as a made-to-measure, bespoke, Saville Row suit as opposed to an off-the-peg Hugo Boss offering. I amused myself for a couple of minutes yesterday by spec'ing a beautifully figured-top Corsa 'Les Paul' Standard; ebony 'board comes as standard fitment, with my choice of finish on both top and back and it came out at a more-than-reasonable (IMO) $2,945 - roughly the same price as a regular off-the-shelf LP Trad, say? I'd REALLY like to have a Corsa made for me one day. We'll have to see...

I've seen a surprisingly high number of Custom Shop LPs being played-out so I think even medium-successful guitarists are happy to buy them and use them as was the original idea. Certainly when I bought my R9 it had clearly not been given the 'Kid Glove' traetment as the back is 'wormed' to buggery from years of exposure to Levi's copper studs...

Larry, yes; the guitar in the OP is unlikely to be bought by a gigging guitarist who is starting out in their playing life. A successful Pro, then? Very probably.

As far as gigging the Hamer goes; clearly it's your choice. My choice is to take my R0 and R9 out every chance I get. Sadly, though, not often enough for my liking.

Pip.

I suppose in the US all these are more affordable too. Round here, most guitarists are 'financially challenged' and old second-hand Strats, Teles and SGs and the like are probably most common. You see the odd LP as well. Basic, decently made, reliable instruments in other words, and nothing flash.

I think you may well be right on Suhrs and Corsas. For people who have money and enjoy playing and are not concerned with brand. I'd love a Corsa too, but would I want to own a Gibson first...maybe not actually. I think if I was an LP player maybe a Studio for band and a Corsa for home would be ideal. :-k

I don't know for sure who buys them but probably serious professional musicians.

I doubt there is a huge number of collectors who target Suhr over, say, Vintage Fender or even some Gibson Custom Shop Collector's Choice Les Pauls.

FWIW (not much) I genuinely think the Manalishi / Larry Corsa guitars are bought by regular players who don't give a fig about the lack of 'Gibson' on the peghead. In fact I'd go further and say they are probably bought by the experienced musician who appreciates the superb craftsmanship and the chance to spec. the guitar to their liking. There is always the possibility that they take quiet pleasure in having something VERY special that none but the connoisseur would recognise...

I think of it as a made-to-measure, bespoke, Saville Row suit as opposed to an off-the-peg Hugo Boss offering. I amused myself for a couple of minutes yesterday by spec'ing a beautifully figured-top Corsa 'Les Paul' Standard; ebony 'board comes as standard fitment, with my choice of finish on both top and back and it came out at a more-than-reasonable (IMO) $2,945 - roughly the same price as a regular off-the-shelf LP Trad, say? I'd REALLY like to have a Corsa made for me one day. We'll have to see...

I've seen a surprisingly high number of Custom Shop LPs being played-out so I think even medium-successful guitarists are happy to buy them and use them as was the original idea. Certainly when I bought my R9 it had clearly not been given the 'Kid Glove' traetment as the back is 'wormed' to buggery from years of exposure to Levi's copper studs...

Larry, yes; the guitar in the OP is unlikely to be bought by a gigging guitarist who is starting out in their playing life. A successful Pro, then? Very probably.

As far as gigging the Hamer goes; clearly it's your choice. My choice is to take my R0 and R9 out every chance I get. Sadly, though, not often enough for my liking.

Pip.

[/quote. I'd love one.

I've got to add. I'd never heard of Manalishi / Larry Corsa guitars until now. Who's heard of 'Shishkov guitars 'who make Hamer clones? https://www.shishkovguitars.com/ I'd love one.

I suppose in the US all these are more affordable too. Round here, most guitarists are 'financially challenged' and old second-hand Strats, Teles and SGs and the like are probably most common. You see the odd LP as well. Basic, decently made, reliable instruments in other words, and nothing flash.

I think you may well be right on Suhrs and Corsas. For people who have money and enjoy playing and are not concerned with brand. I'd love a Corsa too, but would I want to own a Gibson first...maybe not actually. I think if I was an LP player maybe a Studio for band and a Corsa for home would be ideal. :-k

Suhr is top dollar stuff even in the US. I’ve never seen anybody play one. My bet is that the majority of these are bought by worship band guitarists who play at their church every weekend and wealthy collectors.

If you look over at thegearpage, those are the guys I see buying up Suhr stuff

I think you have it Pippy.

As you say...a Saville Row suit contrasted with an off-the-peg. No contest.

I'd also love to have my own very special Corsa.

Archived