Gibson Brands Forums

Dobro Fully Plugged!

BluesKing777

I just recorded my fully plugged (opposite of unplugged!) in bottleneck version of "Love In Vain" by Robert Johnson using my 1976 Dobro metal body with the old Thinline, I think, pickup run to firstly, my Aura Spectrum to kill the dreadful quack on the straight pickup and then to add my vocal through my trusty and humble old Shure SM58.....

Oh how I wish I had this gadgetry when I was young and bleary eyed and playing this very same song to various groups of drinkers that were louder than me...and also to an empty bar one afternoon..... [smile]

PS...see dent in lower left bout - thanks to a sax player and piano player I played with tripping over everything and knocking the Dobro off the guitar stand while I was at the bar!

gW9gmtqh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Thanks guys!

I recorded the tune in F to make it tricky to play along with!

Open F - Open G tuned down 2 steps, for my vocals [mellow]

And I used my Diamond Bottlenecks Blue Diamond.....and let me say it was mid summer about 90 degrees and about 95 % humidity and one take was all I could do and I was just drenched!

BluesKing777.

Yea, it's been pretty hot here in Illinois, too............

<_<

Well it was 110 degrees here yesterday and hot until a cool change comes between 2-4 pm today, we are told, and get this - on the news last night they showed a road where I have been for a holiday a couple of years back - melting! Yi Yi Yi.

Yep, it was hot. Oh, give me rain and wind and cold like we normally have most of the year... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Thanks Nick!

Any hotter and the Dobro may end up like this _ I was going to bend my Dobro photo in Photoshop but it's too hot:

EiJvI7Ch.jpg

BluesKing777.

What's with the weather in Oz? The hottest place I've ever been (other than Arizona in August) was Fremantle in January. Adelaide and Melbourne were close behind, although Melbourne could be cool one day and scorching hot the next. Pretty freaking warm in Darwin, as well.

No shortage of extremes in that country of yours...

What's with the weather in Oz? The hottest place I've ever been (other than Arizona in August) was Fremantle in January. Adelaide and Melbourne were close behind, although Melbourne could be cool one day and scorching hot the next. Pretty freaking warm in Darwin, as well.

No shortage of extremes in that country of yours...

From 2014 - north of Adelaide can cop it!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-15/hottest-places-in-australia-so-far/5201848

BluesKing777.

Thanks BBG!

All true...easier when I lived on Mars, Moon was a bit dusty when I was there, but the absolute worst are the people next door on 3 sides, swimming in 2 pools and a spa respectively and screaming in pure bliss...just what you want to hear when you are sitting in a house with air con but temps are still double the norm. So you think, let’s go for a swim at the beach and you only have a wee paddle because the fin going past is the size of a sail!

BluesKing777.

Tried it from my work computer, works there. It's the home computer it doesn't work on - guess you've been censored from the kids! Anyways - nice play, really liked the jam you got going from about 2:30 - 3 minutes... good stuff! Bet that would really sound good with nylon strings (just kidding)

Tried it from my work computer, works there. It's the home computer it doesn't work on - guess you've been censored from the kids! Anyways - nice play, really liked the jam you got going from about 2:30 - 3 minutes... good stuff! Bet that would really sound good with nylon strings (just kidding)

Thanks BR!

The kids probably censored it from you! With their phones.

From a 'jam' point of view, as you mentioned.. I improvise the notes around the core parts throughout the whole song and the main aim is to avoid playing those 'same olds' you hear everywhere - keep the slide notes moving around instead of pounding away at the chords.

Oh, and the cool change came and a deluge with it.....and now it ia about a third of the temperature of the other day! Poor guitars stretching here, stretching there...and back..... why I dragged the resonator out - it is fairky bullet proof with the weather....

BluesKing777.

Sounds great! I use Diamond Bottleneck slides too, Ian makes the best glass I’ve ever played, wonderful stuff!

Thanks Jinder!

Blue Diamond at back....the other glass ones are DBs, (I have identical spares in my toolkit) the small brass one my luthier gave to me many, many years ago after someone left it at his shop, it was old then and great for playing slide on my Tele! The large brass one at right is designed to drop on toes and hurt... [cool]

b1oCJ2vh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived