Gibson Brands Forums

Chet Atkins CE

johns99

New to this forum, so hopefully I'm not off topic. I recently bought a Custom Shop 1982 Gibson Chet Atkins CE. It's got the papers and original case. The guitar plays and sounds great. Volume and tone controls work and are quiet. The finish on the back, sides and neck are excellent, but the top shows checking and a couple small dings. I understand that lacquer can crack over time, but I'm curious if refinishing the top might be an option somewhere along the line, or is it best left as-is?

John

Unless you intend to ruin the value of it as a possible collectible, I would highly advise against ever refinishing a guitar. Leave it as is. Its called "patina" and people look for that in a vintage guitar. Heck, some people pay a lot of money to have a guitar with finish checking in it brand new, just because they like the look of it. My opinion, leave it be, play it, love it, and that's it.

New to this forum' date=' so hopefully I'm not off topic. I recently bought a Custom Shop 1982 Gibson Chet Atkins CE. It's got the papers and original case. The guitar plays and sounds great. Volume and tone controls work and are quiet. The finish on the back, sides and neck are excellent, but the top shows checking and a couple small dings. I understand that lacquer can crack over time, but I'm curious if refinishing the top might be an option somewhere along the line, or is it best left as-is?

John[/quote']

Thanks for the quick response. Figured there's no easy answer when it comes to vintage anything. How collectible the guitar might become is an unknown. I suppose being a Custom Shop model might help a bit, but then again maybe not. If it does, then probably my estate will benefit more than I personally will long after I'm gone. I'm fine with the guitar as it is. I bought it for the sound, the legacy (I'm a Chet fan) and I wanted to add a good nylon electric to my stable since I didn't already have one. This is my first Gibson. I've been told the finish can also affect tone so since I bought the guitar to play it, I'm inclined to leave it original. I was just curious what other opinions might be out there in the community.

John

Archived