Gibson Brands Forums

John prine sturgi Simpson interview

blindboygrunt

The host is a little annoying , the typical journalist who tries to ‘understand’ great songwriting , sturgill says very little as John prine holds court for most of it. Which is great as he’s a real raconteur, although don’t mind saying I was moved to tears a few times at the aging of the great man

But it’s a good watch

Thanks for this.

Watched the entire performance clip and half the interview.

Amazing how Simpson and Prime BOTH said early in there careers that they started to focus on song writing because they were not good guitar players.

(I guess I'd better go back to the drawing board )

I don't remember how I Stumbled on Sturgill several years ago - but it's nice to hear him lauded as The Savior of Country Music by Mr. Prine.

Thanks for this.

Watched the entire performance clip and half the interview.

Amazing how Simpson and Prime BOTH said early in there careers that they started to focus on song writing because they were not good guitar players.

(I guess I'd better go back to the drawing board )

I don't remember how I Stumbled on Sturgill several years ago - but it's nice to hear him lauded as The Savior of Country Music by Mr. Prine.

Yeah. Sturgills no slouch on a guitar. He’s being very humble in that statement

I wasn’t overly fond of all the horn sections on his last album , but there’s no doubt it’s excellent .. I’d prefer him to simplify his stuff , but I’m not his manager and he seems to be doing very well with his choices

He is a superb songwriter though

Archived