Gibson Brands Forums

Setup

Bowdiddley

Virtually every new Gibson seems to need some form of minor to major setup these days, regardless of cost. I just got a new '61 SG RI, it needed everything adjusted, including the nut slots deepened. Same with my '06 '59 LP. It even needed new bridge saddles and complete new nut. But, that aside, use your best judgement. If it plays OK to you it's probably fine, but if not, check it against the specs in the booklet that came (or, should have come) with your guitar, or here on the Gibson site. Use a 6" steel rule (in 1/64s") to measure the action & pickup height. If it's off, and as a new one it's likely to be, either adjust it yourself or take it to the store where you bought it and ask them to adjust the setup.

Setup adjusting is really something every guitarist should learn to do. It's really pretty simple, and, other than over tightening the truss rod (and snapping the nut off...DOH!), you can't really do any harm to the guitar if you mess it up. Would only add that it is very common for a guitar to require periodic adjustments, especially a new one, which has to settle in and as it ages. I have quite a few guitars, some never require any attention, some just seem to need a little tweak periodically.

It's been my opinion that it will need a "personal" setup. You will want to have it setup for your personal string guage/brand, string height and action. These factors determine the adjustments for things like intonation, neck relief, nut and bridge slots, etc. There is no way a factory line worker can know how you like your guitar to play.

A professional personal setup is the first "mod" you should do to any instrument, and well worth the money. Unless you make any major changes to the guitar or make a major change in string guage you will only have to make periodic adjustments after that.

It also depends on how long the guitar was hanging on the wall, and how many temperature and humidity changes it has gone through since it left the factory. Even if the factory setup was perfect, it is not permanent. The basic adjustments - trussrod, action height, intonation - should be free with a new guitar. Otherwise if it needs the nut slots tweaked or the frets dressed, then you should pay a well recommended pro to do it or at least to check it over. "Well recommended" means someboy you learned about before you walked into the store.

Here's a good test. The store is an authorized dealer, natch. But are they an authorized service center (chances are they aren't)?

Archived