Gibson Brands Forums

A Bird in the Hand

MorrisrownSal

Sounds good in the cans here - warm, crisp and broken in.

We hear a lot of Bird and you seem to know how to bring that trademark-quality forward > > > by not bein' too right-hand-hard.

A clear guitar too, which is one of the virtues of these fliers.

Hmmmm, not necessarily clear as bright, but as note-separated thus extraordinary de- and refined.

Birds aren't sitting on the farm-fence - they do something else. Exactly what is the puzzling Q we're all trying to figure out. .

The strings are losing their initial bright. Digging. The Bird stays. You are right Em. More discipline is needed playing her. Can’t thrash it. What’s interesting to me is that while my three Gibsons have the 23/32 nut, each neck shape is definitely different. This Bird, and my J50 have full C shapes, and the J45 has a feel very similar to the new Martin performing artist necks.

Here is a quick dry take...

Beautiful burst ; looks even more redish cherry in the video than on pics that were darker.

Sounds very nice, it has this hummingbird vibe in it.

Might want to try d'addario exp16 on it, once broken in they respect the honey flavor of the bird and last for months, though there's nothing about birds i could say that you arent already aware of. [thumbup]

Thanks Mafy - the burst looks redder than it really is in the video. It's actually halfway between a tobacco burst and the red...

EM - how can I ascertain whether a pickguard is engraved? Its not a flubber guard. While it doesnt show paint wear, when I feel the guard top, I feel the (what appears to be) painted etching. There is another 99 Early 60s Hummingbird Reissue on reverb right now... The guitars looks identical to mine, except the tuners, and its guard is definitely worn.

https://reverb.com/item/9951502-1999-gibson-early-60s-hummingbird-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

EM - how can I ascertain whether a pickguard is engraved?

Not really familiar with guards from those years, but the flora-fauna seems to be something third between the two contemporary versions.

Ain't talkin' motif of course ~ Hover on good wildlife explorer

Archived