Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll

EpiSheriMan

If you have a Gibson or Epiphone SG with the 61 slim taper neck you may have a little neck dive. The Epiphone G400's use the 61 slim taper neck (not including the Epiphone SG's with bolt on's). The Gibson 61 slim taper neck was replaced by the newer longer neck joint that changes the strap button geometry moving it farther forward providing better balance. The 61 slim taper neck SG's are effected by the hardware you have installed, Humbuckers weigh more than P-90's and how many you have installed, Grover style cast weigh more than Kluson style and tremolo's also add a lot of weight. So basically what I am saying here is if you like the 61 neck joint, versus the bulkier new neck joint, the "Neck Dive" will be effected by the weight distribution of your hardware. A lot depends on how often or easy you need to reach for fret 22 and stretch it to the elusive 5th E or beyond.....[thumbup]

WSPuV.jpg

2008-sg-usa-title-04-01.jpg

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

there has been a bit of variation on the neck joint and button placement over the years.

If you have a 61 neck joint with 3 Humbuckers and a tremolo you won't have neck dive.

Edited by mihcmac

• 4 years later...

A number of guitars suffer from neck dive but the poor SG always comes to mind first.  It really is no mystery when you look at how the "plank" is designed - it is a matter of the center of gravity.

The fact that so many workarounds exist for the SG begs the question - can't the brilliant minds at Gibson figure out a redesign that avoids neck dive?  For any model?

7 hours ago, DoctorQ9 said:

A number of guitars suffer from neck dive but the poor SG always comes to mind first.  It really is no mystery when you look at how the "plank" is designed - it is a matter of the center of gravity.

The fact that so many workarounds exist for the SG begs the question - can't the brilliant minds at Gibson figure out a redesign that avoids neck dive?  For any model?

Of course they can; and do. They could make the body heavier. They could shorten the neck by bringing it inboard, but with restricted upper fret access. They could make it headless design. All sort of things really, but then it wouldn't be an SG anymore and that could never be permitted by the Gibson Faithful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 7:01 AM, merciful-evans said:

...but then it wouldn't be an SG anymore and that could never be permitted by the Gibson Faithful.

Absolutely!

I have 3 SGs, they all neck-dive to some extent. It's never been a problem though, because I play with 2 hands.

Neck dive on Gibson SG guitars doesn' t exist.

Neck dive on Epiphone SG copies is a real problem.

Anyway an SG need light weight tuners, KLUSON Revolution for a modern SG and Schaller G Series Double Ring for a vintage style SG.

A set of Schaller G Series Double Ring on my Ebony SG '61 Reissue ,

gibso122.jpg

• Like 1

Epiphone SG's typically use the 61 neck design on the right. On the left since 2020 only the Epiphone SG Standard and SG Classic have the more modern Gibson SG style of extended neck joint moving the strap button farther forward providing better balance.

HicWEeW.jpg

My 2020 SG Classic doesn't dive even when using the seatbelt style of strap, in addition it has the heavier cast Kluson style tuners with threaded bushings.

dr0VmU9.jpg?1

Below my 2011 limited edition 61 SG Special is light so not a big problem holding the neck up, will dive a bit when I let go. This has the lighter 3 on a plate Kluson style tuners.

0wJS8Qw.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

SG neck dive is a topic that has been blown out of proportion as a result of Internet forums. I've owned several differnt SG's over the years including a few Standards of differnt years, a couple reissues and several SG Classics (P90's) and NEVER had any issue with neck dive. Didn't matter if I used a cheap, $5 no-name nylon strap or a nice Levy's strap or a hootenanny style strap, etc. Neck dive simply has never been an issue and seems like more of a topic for discussion. by those who have nothing better to do and should be playing their guitars more and spending less time on the interwebs.. 

Edited by sbpark

Being retired I spend lots time playing, I try to spend at least a few hours every week plying each guitar in my stable. One of my favorites is this Wilshire that has a little dive, but its so light the leather strap holds it in position quite well.

DwjZAPX.jpg