Gibson Brands Forums

bridge pick up low output

engenheiro5

Hy Guys!

The bridge pick up on my 2011 Standard SG has a much lower output (regardless of the height) then that of the neck.

I've measured the resistance and both pick ups return correct values. It´s a pcb board so I changed the connection of the pick ups ( neck to bridge slot an vice versa) and the bridge still has a low output.

It must be a problem with the pick up but it measures ok.... any ideas?

Thanks

Is the guitar new to you? If not, when did it start? Was is sudden or slow onset? Have you checked the PU height? You could check the resistance at the output jack and see what you get, although it sounds like you plugged the bridge PU into the neck jack on the board and it is still low, and the neck PU sounded OK going through the bridge jack, correct? That would seem to rule out the board, pot, cap and related connections.

Is the guitar new to you? If not, when did it start? Was is sudden or slow onset? Have you checked the PU height? You could check the resistance at the output jack and see what you get, although it sounds like you plugged the bridge PU into the neck jack on the board and it is still low, and the neck PU sounded OK going through the bridge jack, correct? That would seem to rule out the board, pot, cap and related connections.

I have this guitar for a long time and this problem has always been there, but it got worst. pick up height is not the problem I've tried multiple combinations. Yeah when I switched the connections the bridge pick up still sounds very low, so I'm thinking something is wrong with the pick up. But what?? it measures around 14 Ohms so it's on point... very confusing...

engenheiro5: What's disturbing is that you state the problem is getting worse. Pickups don't generally change state; they work or they don't. I have one that does both due to an internal short; just replaced it and will take it apart one day to see what was wrong. I think you have a 498T pup in the bridge position so it should be higher impedance than the neck. The getting worse statement makes me wonder if you simply have a bad volume or tone pot on the bridge circuit; this would explain the "getting worse" scenario. It's really easy to make a test cable from an old lead; this allows you to connect the pickup directly to the amp and compare what's happening.

Good luck

engenheiro5: What's disturbing is that you state the problem is getting worse. Pickups don't generally change state; they work or they don't. I have one that does both due to an internal short; just replaced it and will take it apart one day to see what was wrong. I think you have a 498T pup in the bridge position so it should be higher impedance than the neck. The getting worse statement makes me wonder if you simply have a bad volume or tone pot on the bridge circuit; this would explain the "getting worse" scenario. It's really easy to make a test cable from an old lead; this allows you to connect the pickup directly to the amp and compare what's happening.

Good luck

It sounds like he has run the neck PU through the bridge circuit and it has normal output. That would seem to rule out anything in that circuit. It seems like it's got to be the PU, PU wiring or the connector.

Or it could be a curse, jinx, voodoo, or just good old fashioned magic.

My experience with a broken winding is that the pickup worked or didn't depending on pushing it with my finger forward (work) or letting it go (dead); I don't see how a short would result in a gradual deterioration of output but I have limited experience with this type of problem. The OP tested each pup and got normal resistance; surely this would not be the case if the pup had a broken winding.

Clutching at straws here but I would try cleaning the pickup selector switch with contact cleaner and see what happens; I know the OP switched pup positions and the problem followed the pup but it's still a good thing to clean this stuff once in a while anyway and bad switch contacts can result in increased resistance in the circuit resulting in a lower pup output. I still think testing the pup direct to an amp is a good idea.

Check the quick connector/adaptor on the bridge pick-up.

when I switched the connections the bridge pick up still sounds very low, so I'm thinking something is wrong with the pick up. But what?? it measures around 14 Ohms so it's on point.

Check the quick connector/adaptor on the bridge pick-up.

Hey engenheiro5;

From your description I'd have to agree with Golden above. If its following it has to be the connector contacts (if a coil was bad it wouldn't read 14).

But another consideration could be that its wired out of phase which would leave it sounding thin. If squirting some contact cleaner in the bridge connector doesn't do the trick, I'd try flipping the wires to change the electrical polarity.

Johnny

Guest Farnsbarns

Hey engenheiro5;

From your description I'd have to agree with Golden above. If its following it has to be the connector contacts (if a coil was bad it wouldn't read 14).

But another consideration could be that its wired out of phase which would leave it sounding thin. If squirting some contact cleaner in the bridge connector doesn't do the trick, I'd try flipping the wires to change the electrical polarity.

Johnny

Assuming the difference is heard on the one pickup in isolation then there is no phase to be out of. That would only affect the sound in the middle position.

Rct picked it up. Correctly.

If by moving the neck to the bridge and the bridge to the neck and the problem stayed with the offending pickup.

In this case the bridge pickup connected to the neck circuit.

Then you have a bridge pickup issue

If you're the first owner and in USA you can try get a authorized Gibson shop to replace the pickup under warranty.

Or just get a new pickup.

Why pounder the universe on what went wrong

I think the electronics are only covered one year after purchase date. I thought two but was reading here otherwise.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered.

2. Any instrument whose WARRANTY card has been altered or upon which false information has been given.

3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.

4. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.

5. Shipping damages of any kind.

6. Any instrument that has been subjected to extremes of humidity or temperature

7. Normal wear and tear (i.e., worn frets, worn machine heads, worn plating, string replacement, scratched pickguards, or damages to or discoloration of the instrument finish for any reason).

8. Any instrument that has been purchased from an unauthorized dealer, or upon which unauthorized repair or service has been performed.

9. Any factory installed electronics after a period of one (I) year following the original date of purchase.

10. Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

11. Gibson does not WARRANTY the playability of a instrument whose "action" is lower than the standard "action" as defined in the owners manual."

If the resistance is within spec then maybe it's the magnets? That would explain why it's slowly getting worse and reads normal resistance.

Has to be a grounding issue since both RCT and Farns are right imo. My thinking was you might get lucky and it just be the inexpensive connector. But... if its still under warrenty.. dilly dilly . They could simply fix it.

Farnsbarns did rule out a out of phase problem and RCT said it was a broken winding but since it has normal resistance, it seems like that may not be the problem.

No, I said shorted winding. Many reasons for those, not just breaking. They act stupid.

rct

No, I said shorted winding. Many reasons for those, not just breaking. They act stupid.

rct

Fair enough, and I'm trying to argue, but I'd still think that would give an abnormal resistance reading, no? Maybe not all the time if it was a intermittent short, but then the problem should also be intermittent rather than progressive.

EDIT: HaHa! That was supposed to say NOT trying to argue! msp_crying.gif

Fair enough, and I'm trying to argue, but I'd still think that would give an abnormal resistance reading, no? Maybe not all the time if it was a intermittent short, but then the problem should also be intermittent rather than progressive.

Eric Clapton had a black Strat that acted stupid for all of the years he wore it out and it wasn't until they took it apart to study it they found it had shorted windings in middle and back pickups.

rct

Assuming the difference is heard on the one pickup in isolation then there is no phase to be out of. That would only affect the sound in the middle position.

Right. And if he switched the wires on the board and the problem remains with the same pup that would rule out a problem with the board and the switch. I’d replace the pup.

Archived