Gibson Brands Forums

Has E Bay gone crazy

fretplay

On E bay UK I saw a guitar that looked interesting so I contacted the buyer to ask if I could go and have a look. I got a reply saying that E Bay would not allow him to give out contact details.

I said that this sounded crazy as without contact details I couldn't find the buyer to try the guitar. Has any members come across this or am I being scammed?

EBay's messaging system is set up so if you try to insert an email address or phone number, it will not allow the message to be sent.

That's no comment on how legit that particular seller is, but he is being truthful about the anal apertures at ebay.

Things are changing a bit with ebay and Amazon too.

Everything is being tightened up and I think we will see continuing changes in security procedures etc as the net evolves.

Ebay are also changing their payments method...I think. From an email I got this week -

"eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers.........The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey".

[confused]

The way to get round this is to message the seller asking if they'd accept cash on collection allowing you to try before you buy. It might mean the seller having to change their advert allowing this option. Of course, they might not wish to allow personal collection at all.

There is a way around sending your email address.

Let the seller know you will be sending him two messages.

The first message will be the first 1/2 of your email address, the second message will be the remainder of your email address.

I have been doing that for years .

They personally do not monitor the messages sent, but anytime a full email address, phone number or home address does try to be sent, it will be kicked back to the sender.

EBay's messaging system is set up so if you try to insert an email address or phone number, it will not allow the message to be sent.

That's no comment on how legit that particular seller is, but he is being truthful about the anal apertures at ebay.

I had to google "anal apertures".

The Urban Dictionary definition states:

"The opening of the anus, from which Fundie Muck emerges."

So then I had to google "Fundie Muck".

The Urban Dictionary states:

"religious droppings of Fundamental theorists; Religious right zealot BS."

The things I learn here :o :)

I had to google "anal apertures".

The Urban Dictionary definition states:

"The opening of the anus, from which Fundie Muck emerges."

So then I had to google "Fundie Muck".

The Urban Dictionary states:

"religious droppings of Fundamental theorists; Religious right zealot BS."

The things I learn here :o :)

Fundie Muck. Great song title.

Im thinking you may be better off with ebay in getting away from the net of ebay/pay-pal. It seems to me if you use a merchant account you can have more control over the handling of payment and its methods.

I haven't read far into it but Authorize.net contacted me about this and opening an account. Or Cybersource and e-payment which I havent compared the two.

To me with ebay heres the problem, pay-pal is much too injected and invested in the buyer-seller process to the point of you simply have to figure in a larger loss every year...its imho an unlevel playing field that seriously favors the buyer and basically controls interaction. I think the other methods may somewhat level this and add a more personal interaction and with methods of payment.

Just sold a speaker last night. That's pretty simple and it worked fine. Buying a guitar's way more complicated. I can see what a pain it would be to try to talk with the seller about it. They're always concerned about people making contact thru ebay and then selling on the side and avoiding their fees. [unsure]

Archived