Gibson Brands Forums

modern pop music brainwashing?

merciful-evans

Sorry - I wasn't clear - sort of hard to explain. I fully accept that your interpretation of the video was accurate. I was trying to state that I do not agree with the video itself, relying on your interpretation of it.

I'm saying encouraging your kiddo to move on from Barney to Sesame Street is a good thing. And, when he's spent enough time with Elmo - expose him to the Weebles. If your teenager thinks Rascal Flats is great, buy him a CD by Sturgill Simpson. Don't rely on random, slow meandering - he'll be exposed to lots of different stuff through his friends. Much of it will be crap. Get some good stuff in front of him and he'll develop a sense of what he likes sooner and keep his mind open to new things. Nothing sadder than a 30 year old who thinks Justin Bieber is the epitome of 21st century music.

I had my three year old listening to Sabbath. He's 16 now and his favorite band is Five Finger Death Punch. I didn't allow them to listen to Barney or Teletubbies or whatever else. We'd listen to classical if I was trying to get them to fall asleep when they were babies and rock/metal the rest of the time. My oldest son plays guitar and his favorite band is Disturbed. As long as it isn't rap/hip hop/whatever or electronic noise DJ kind of stuff, I'm ok with it but I prefer my music to be real singers with real voices and the bands playing real instruments instead of computers.

Christ on a stick, it's just music. All you have to do is listen or not, but don't spend what was that vid? 20 minutes on the internet pissing and moaning about the end of the world because of it. And then generate how many pages of comments from people all concurring that guess what? Music they don't like is sh1t. I'm shocked to hear that. Even funnier, they don't even listen to it and it is sh1t! Take the vocs off and listen to the arrangements and the instrumentation and the pan and fade and you'd love it because you don't know which stuffed bag of pop kid sang it.

Not You you, or anyone else here You, the Imperial You you.

rct

rct,

I get the impression you didnt actually watch the video [confused] ? because I dont think its the gripe-fest you seem to be describing.

I (re-)posted the vid not so much because of the accusal, but because of the way it tries to justify the accusal, which is with research. I thought that was interesting. Is it true? Can I trust that research? I dont know.

True, I find 99% pop music bland, and some of it irritating. But that doesn't mean I endorse the video, because I dont know how true those 'findings' & 'facts' really are. It seems to me like you may have a better informed opinion, because you find pop to be ok. So I be interested to hear what you make of the assertions made.

But its just another topic for discussion. And like you said, you can take it or leave it, listen or not listen, watch it or not watch it, join in or leave it.

Just to be clear. I'm not angry about pop music. I dont care enough about it for that. Its like the smell from the land fill. It doesnt do any harm, but I'd still rather it wasnt there. [mellow]

1. All "pop" is made using drum machine, bass, sampler, synth. Making all "pop" using the same lack of diverse instrumentation has and continues to suck the life out of music.

All "rock" is made using two guitars, bass, drums. Is that sucking the life out of music?

2. The fukking millenial whoop these dooscheniuses came up with is older than Elvis music. See, this is a consequence of gusting hot air about music that you hate so much you don't even listen to it. It's like me talking about jazz, I'm going to stick my boot in my mouth fast because I haven't played or listened to it in a long time that's why I don't whine about it.

3. The millenial whoop usually has a delicious piece of major synth layers under it. THAT is what feels good but you see, this kind of faux studly smartness doesn't include scrubbing off the vocs and listening to what is being done under it all. It's why people like me only listen to this stuff for the most part in headphones, I want to hear the tickle, what did they do. Big hit out this month called The Middle, excellent example of putting just the right tickle under her vocs.

4. Do you know who it was before Max Martin that was responsible for over 2 dozen #1 singles? And before that? And back to the last time it was a pair of Swedish guys in the late 80s-early 90's that was responsible for over 2 dozen #1 Singles? Have you ever heard of Harry Fox, the place you go for rights to cover? Have you ever looked at the teams of people that write this stuff, and how it generally changes every few years?

5. 9 minutes 28 seconds into it they finally, for 2 seconds show a car radio knob being turned. This is where pop music is an absolute science, ALL OF THE STUFF HE IS TALKING ABOUT APPLIES TO CAR RADIO MUSIC, but it gets how much airplay in this rant?

6. Oh dear, oh no its...omigosh...The Evil iPod. <devil laugh>

Please.

7. Compression war. Never heard of that before. SMACK MY HEAD. Car radio. Again. Metallica. All CaliRock. All semi-soft Adult Contemporary. Country? squished as hell. On car radio, so it can match the headache inducing volume of the commercials. It is exactly as it is supposed to be.

8. Right. Recording contract risk, A&R, Artist Development. That's it, that's the ticket, we don't do that stuff anymore, too expense. Sure. SINCE 19EIGHTYFUKKIN8 OR SO. Records and the bands that made them became commodities a very long time ago.

9. Yes, record companies buy access to the satellite companies that broadcast music into public places. That took some stunning research and years of data accumulation to come up with. lolz

10. But the Beatles, Zeppelin, whatever, they don't suffer the mere exposure effect, only shitty pop music does. lolz

11. "Don't get me wrong, but there are many fantastically talented bands out there today". Yeah, no sh1t genius. If yer too stupid to figure out what you like and don't like, fine. If you can't listen to something as an example of music of a genre and what they are doing these days, fine. If you can't form your politics, morals, your day to day decisions because you are too stupid to know that something as nefarious as a corporate music company is doing everything they can to make money well, that's too bad. Yer radio has the same knobs as mine, my iPod has bazillions of all kinds of songs, and the sun isn't rising or setting over any of them. It's. Just. Music.

Was that enough?

rct

All genres of music generally have some songs people will like and some people will not. It totally depends on the individual. Like many others on here I've never much cared for a lot of pop music, but even some pop songs I will admit to liking. Ever heard Belinda Carlisle's song Summer Rain? I did a solo chord/ melody version of that a couple of years ago and it's a great song to play - lots of sections, chords and interesting musical hooks. On the other hand, a few years back I spent time travelling around the USA with some people who loved current pop music - stuff like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and it depressed the hell out of me after a few weeks. I often thought 'how on earth do people listen to this stuff without praying for it to stop?'...However, oddly I did see a version of Miley Cyrus doing an acoustic version of Jolene in the last couple of years and enjoyed it.

I couldn't stand listening to that guy for more than a few minutes but I figured where it was going.

I've never really liked Pop music so couldn't say if its better or worse cos I wasn't into it back in the 80's and 90's either, but on the rare occasion I hear it (mainly in cabs) I detect that it seems to be mainly 'artists' now (singer, rapper, whatever) rather than pop 'groups' whereas there seemed more of a mix back in the day. One pop group that I did like as a kid was The Cars - I wonder if any bands today are like them where the songs were definitely pop rather than rock, but I could still enjoy an album or live gig.

1. All "pop" is made using drum machine, bass, sampler, synth. Making all "pop" using the same lack of diverse instrumentation has and continues to suck the life out of music.

All "rock" is made using two guitars, bass, drums. Is that sucking the life out of music?

2. The fukking millenial whoop these dooscheniuses came up with is older than Elvis music. See, this is a consequence of gusting hot air about music that you hate so much you don't even listen to it. It's like me talking about jazz, I'm going to stick my boot in my mouth fast because I haven't played or listened to it in a long time that's why I don't whine about it.

3. The millenial whoop usually has a delicious piece of major synth layers under it. THAT is what feels good but you see, this kind of faux studly smartness doesn't include scrubbing off the vocs and listening to what is being done under it all. It's why people like me only listen to this stuff for the most part in headphones, I want to hear the tickle, what did they do. Big hit out this month called The Middle, excellent example of putting just the right tickle under her vocs.

4. Do you know who it was before Max Martin that was responsible for over 2 dozen #1 singles? And before that? And back to the last time it was a pair of Swedish guys in the late 80s-early 90's that was responsible for over 2 dozen #1 Singles? Have you ever heard of Harry Fox, the place you go for rights to cover? Have you ever looked at the teams of people that write this stuff, and how it generally changes every few years?

5. 9 minutes 28 seconds into it they finally, for 2 seconds show a car radio knob being turned. This is where pop music is an absolute science, ALL OF THE STUFF HE IS TALKING ABOUT APPLIES TO CAR RADIO MUSIC, but it gets how much airplay in this rant?

6. Oh dear, oh no its...omigosh...The Evil iPod. <devil laugh>

Please.

7. Compression war. Never heard of that before. SMACK MY HEAD. Car radio. Again. Metallica. All CaliRock. All semi-soft Adult Contemporary. Country? squished as hell. On car radio, so it can match the headache inducing volume of the commercials. It is exactly as it is supposed to be.

8. Right. Recording contract risk, A&R, Artist Development. That's it, that's the ticket, we don't do that stuff anymore, too expense. Sure. SINCE 19EIGHTYFUKKIN8 OR SO. Records and the bands that made them became commodities a very long time ago.

9. Yes, record companies buy access to the satellite companies that broadcast music into public places. That took some stunning research and years of data accumulation to come up with. lolz

10. But the Beatles, Zeppelin, whatever, they don't suffer the mere exposure effect, only shitty pop music does. lolz

11. "Don't get me wrong, but there are many fantastically talented bands out there today". Yeah, no sh1t genius. If yer too stupid to figure out what you like and don't like, fine. If you can't listen to something as an example of music of a genre and what they are doing these days, fine. If you can't form your politics, morals, your day to day decisions because you are too stupid to know that something as nefarious as a corporate music company is doing everything they can to make money well, that's too bad. Yer radio has the same knobs as mine, my iPod has bazillions of all kinds of songs, and the sun isn't rising or setting over any of them. It's. Just. Music.

Was that enough?

rct

Yes. It helped redress & balance out what we'd seen. That was an ordeal for you. So thanks man.

I didn't watch the video, but I dunno, it seems people whose main interest is music is always gonna look for music that's more "real" as opposed to assembly-line manufactured. (I'm using those terms loosely, because if there's one truth in life, it's that if I like a song, I'll like it regardless of how commercial or non-commercial it is.) That's why there will always be kids getting into the Stones, or whomever.

Plus, the assembly-line pop has probably helped along the whole DAW thing, which is great. Almost everyone can record at home these days, for next to nothing.

Ah, say the naysayers, but digital recording has largely replaced analog, which sucks.

Well... it kind of does, but how many of us would ever be able to record at all if it weren't for DAWs? I'd rather have everyone be able to create than to stick with the way it used to be.

Having said all that, back when I was a kid, you couldn't escape - to me - crappy pop music, and I hated it. These days, with all the listening and streaming options, I see more headphones and fewer radios, so I'm rarely exposed to music I don't want to hear. So "bad music" doesn't bother me these days.

Having said all that, back when I was a kid, you couldn't escape - to me - crappy pop music, and I hated it. These days, with all the listening and streaming options, I see more headphones and fewer radios, so I'm rarely exposed to music I don't want to hear. So "bad music" doesn't bother me these days.

Exactly. It's ok to hate music, hate it all you want, hate any kind you want. You don't have to "look at the data" and start inventing sh1t that has already happened in order to bolster and justify your hate. Just hate it and don't listen to it and above all, shut the fukk up about it.

It's like being at the Acoustic Guitar Forum and watching people invent laws of physics to apply to the reasons they like their guitars, and that people who don't like these guitars don't understand these laws of physics they just invented.

rct

Exactly. It's ok to hate music, hate it all you want, hate any kind you want. You don't have to "look at the data" and start inventing sh1t that has already happened in order to bolster and justify your hate. Just hate it and don't listen to it and above all, shut the fukk up about it.

It's like being at the Acoustic Guitar Forum and watching people invent laws of physics to apply to the reasons they like their guitars, and that people who don't like these guitars don't understand these laws of physics they just invented.

rct

Haha! The acoustic forum here, or someplace else? (Not up on acoustic guitar playing. Don't like it.)

Haha! The acoustic forum here, or someplace else? (Not up on acoustic guitar playing. Don't like it.)

Not the Gibson Acoustic Forum no, not them. Them guys are at least reasonable in their cork sniffery, and fairly polite in their hate for the one true Acoustic Guitar made by another company. And, they put up with me once in a while.

rct

Ah, okay.

Well... I'd never condemn cork-sniffing as such, but that's just for its' entertainment value... to me.

Ties in nicely with my point above - if it sounds good, it sounds good. Period.

I'm a fair bit of cork sniffer myself, but I do enjoy roasting up the acoustic guys for their particular brand of cork sniffery. Except at the AGF. Absolutely ZERO sense of humor. That's what you get when you take yourself and your guitars way too seriously.

rct

For your consideration. I suggest a good set of headphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22Dx3jvafY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKIC9zbSJoE

Sometimes if I'm discussing music with someone, and I'll mention Steely Dan. If they dismiss SD as just "pop music" I make a mental note that this person obviously doesn't play or know anything about making music. They are just a listener with an opinion,which they are entitled to. rolleyes.gif

Archived