Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J50 Deluxe 1971?

VICK 2

Hi to everybody. I have a Gibson J50 Deluxe. My daddy bought in 1971 but when I search all the 1971s don't have the rounded pick guard and the tuning keys are plain white but mine has the silver tuning keys. Can anyone tell me what year my guitar is? Even when I search for 1970 models they all have the same pick guard and the plain white tuning keys. I still haven't found a guitar like mine. Maybe it is a rare guitar. Can anybody help me on what year my guitar is? Thank you

Hi to everybody. I have a Gibson J50 Deluxe. My daddy bought in 1971 but when I search all the 1971s don't have the rounded pick guard and the tuning keys are plain white but mine has the silver tuning keys. Can anyone tell me what year my guitar is? Even when I search for 1970 models they all have the same pick guard and the plain white tuning keys. I still haven't found a guitar like mine. Maybe it is a rare guitar. Can anybody help me on what year my guitar is? Thank you

I owned a j-50 from 1974, ran into financial trouble and had to sell it. Very painful day to see it go, but from all the pictures ive seen, the ones with plastic white tuners are from the 60s not 70s. But, Gibson and Fender did a number of mix and matching parts during the 1970s. Mine had a black headstock, yet nearly every other j-50 from the 70s i saw had a brown one. But, i checked with several gibson enthusiasts and they all said it was original and it certainly played and sounded better than even my modern j-15. it just had that issue with the tops cracking, but from my experience, you may have a 60s or you may have a 70s oddball using 60s tuners. Could also be, the original owner liked them better and changed or probably stock from the Gibson factory trying to get rid of them. Some pictures and serial number could help date your guitar. Here is my oddball j-50 with the rare black headstock.

1UnzlKw.jpg

At some point around 72(?) 73(?) many models dropped the black-painted holly headstock overlay and they just had clear (or stained) finishes like the rest of the neck. Therefore it's very easy to believe a J50 from the early 70s could go either way.

Archived