Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup question

rjbee

I asked this question on the Epi forum and didn't get much of a response. Can anyone tell me what the stock pickups are in the newest Epi LP customs? After determining that my PRS SE Singlecut just didn't have any "soul" and not being able to afford a "real" LP I got a new Black Epi LP Custom which I really like alot, I mean a lot!! I played this guitar for a few weeks in my local shop and it just kept getting better. It just played real well and didn't sound too bad either. The bridge PU measured about 14k and the neck about 8.4k. I have a tendency to start modding my gear especially if I feel that the mods are worth it. The only guitar I have not modded at all is my EJ strat, It's perfect as it is. But I heard a you tube with an Epi standard through a Classic 30, which is what I got also, with Gibson '57 Classics and it sounded incredible. Needless to say, the temptation has been overwhelming to do this upgrade but I want to know more about what I'm replacing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I asked this question on the Epi forum and didn't get much of a response. Can anyone tell me what the stock pickups are in the newest Epi LP customs? After determining that my PRS SE Singlecut just didn't have any "soul" and not being able to afford a "real" LP I got a new Black Epi LP Custom which I really like alot' date=' I mean a lot!! I played this guitar for a few weeks in my local shop and it just kept getting better. It just played real well and didn't sound too bad either. The bridge PU measured about 14k and the neck about 8.4k. I have a tendency to start modding my gear especially if I feel that the mods are worth it. The only guitar I have not modded at all is my EJ strat, It's perfect as it is. But I heard a you tube with an Epi standard through a Classic 30, which is what I got also, with Gibson '57 Classics and it sounded incredible. Needless to say, the temptation has been overwhelming to do this upgrade but I want to know more about what I'm replacing. Any help is greatly appreciated.[/quote']They are the same Epi-made p/ups that Epiphone has always used, which are basically the same as Gibson's, but at a much lower quality, not that they're bad, but the attention to detail just isn't there. Also, I tried '57 Classics in my Epi Lp Standard, and it sounded exactly the same! So, if your Custom sounds good now, I would leave the original pickups in it.

Archived