Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Tribute T 2018?? help

dk2429

Was playing my 2017 Tribute through the amp last night and I wish I had found it first. I might have saved myself a few thousand dollars. But, I'm real happy with my Standard as well.

Best of both worlds, eh?

I played my 2017 last night too, and I don't think I'll ever buy another Les Paul (granted, once the world realizes my playing prowess, I'll make millions and they'll throw them at me). Same with the 2017 V.

Best of both worlds, eh?

I played my 2017 last night too, and I don't think I'll ever buy another Les Paul (granted, once the world realizes my playing prowess, I'll make millions and they'll throw them at me). Same with the 2017 V.

Never say never when it comes to buying guitars. :) I love my Flying V's too. I tend to play one for a week, then swap out, rotating them. The Tribute always sits on the guitar stand next to the couch for easy access. The others stay in their cases in the closet until it's time to play. I'm really enjoying them through the Marshall DSL40C and DSL100H half stack. I'm pretty happy with that investment too.

Going to get it tomorrow! Called Guitar Center and they have her on hold in the back waiting on me..

I'm really happy that I'm actually getting my first Gibson tomorrow (aside from the '58 J45 that was passed down to be from my grandma.) To be quite honest with y'all, the main reason I've always wanted to get a Gibson Les Paul is simply tradition.. My family is very very musically inclined. Both of my grandpas, my dad, my older brother, and my grandma have always played nothing but Gibson guitars. My dad used to play music professionally, so I was born and raised around Gibson. And all of them put in some hard work and sweat to earn their first Gibson. So it feels pretty cool to me that I'm 17 (turning 18 tomorrow) and keeping the tradition rolling. I'm also saving up some more after this to go find me a used SG for a good price... I was actually really eye balling an American Strat that I really like to get next, but when I think of it, I'd feel like I'm betraying the tradition of Gibsons, so next axe is an SG. I'd like to have 2 good guitars to play live (one for standard, other for 1/2 step down) so that's what I'm gonna do!

Really excited to pick it up tomorrow! Thanks again folks

Edited by dk2429
  • Upvote 1

Well guys, I got it! Love it.

What is the picture inside the case that came with the guitar..? Is this a picture of it from the factory?

Yeah, that's a picture of it on the bench at the factory. I got one with my 2017 Standard and 2017 Tribute. Just cool case candy. Hope you love the guitar.

Yeah, that's a picture of it on the bench at the factory. I got one with my 2017 Standard and 2017 Tribute. Just cool case candy. Hope you love the guitar.

I do! It's great!!! I can DEFINITELY hear the difference between it and the Epiphone. I actually plugged them both in, same exact setting, same everything, and you could for sure tell the Gibson was much more clear and "hotter" sounding. Has a lot more punch to it! The only negative thing I can say is the strings it came with feel like some kind of hybrid BS. I also want to set it up where the action is a little bit lower, but then again, it might feel that way to me cause of the whacky strings that came on it. I just like plain jane Clearatone 10-46.

Was this thing supposed to come with some kind of authenticity papers or is that just for the higher end Les Pauls? The only thing it came with that seemed somewhat close to that was some check list thing with 2 signatures on it that I supposed are from the guys that built the guitar

Edited by dk2429

I do! It's great!!! I can DEFINITELY hear the difference between it and the Epiphone. I actually plugged them both in, same exact setting, same everything, and you could for sure tell the Gibson was much more clear and "hotter" sounding. Has a lot more punch to it! The only negative thing I can say is the strings it came with feel like some kind of hybrid BS. I also want to set it up where the action is a little bit lower, but then again, it might feel that way to me cause of the whacky strings that came on it. I just like plain jane Clearatone 10-46.

Was this thing supposed to come with some kind of authenticity papers or is that just for the higher end Les Pauls? The only thing it came with that seemed somewhat close to that was some check list thing with 2 signatures on it that I supposed are from the guys that built the guitar

I didn't like the strings either and I replaced them with Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9's) as I've done for years. I also adjusted the neck on my Tribute after replacing the strings and letting it settle for a week or two. Then, I adjusted again, lowered the bridge a bit, set the intonation and that little Tribute plays every bit as well, if not better, than my Standard. This is a pretty good guide for a setup: http://archive.gibson.com/backstage/tech002printable.htm

My understanding is that the COA (certificate of authenticity) only comes with the Custom Shop models/Historic models. I didn't get one with my Tribute or Standard. I got the picture, the warranty card, the inspection card, a strap, truss rod tool and padded gig bag. I'm glad you like the guitar. I'm real happy with mine too.

Yes, this is a faux binding, the finish is sanded, the guy put a layer of glossy lacquer and finished with buffing.

The Les Paul is a 2017 Tribute .

Scraped binding, by any other name, has existed for a long time. Whatever this clown did with his guitar is a joke, so yeah, it's fake binding on a neck heavy Gibson.

The eyerolls you bring are headache inducing.

rct

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to being an American made Gibson Les Paul owner, too. I picked up my 2017 Tribute (Honey Burst) used via Guitar Center (online) back in Dec.

Before making the purchase I spent quite a bit of time researching to ensure I got the most value for my $$$. It was going to be, by far, the most I ever invested in an instrument. Originally, I was looking at getting a used Les Paul Studio. There were many to choose from at fair prices. However, a lot of the ones posted did not include much detail in terms of what year they were along w/ other info that would give you an idea of their history. Also, I was surprised to find that a good portion of them included only a single pic (often not a very good quality one!).

Long story short, eventually I found the Tribute and felt comfortable pulling the trigger since it was a 2017. The price was nice and it had a condition rating of "excellent."

Overall, I'm very happy w/ it and feel confident that it wasn't abused or has hidden defects or issues. I assumed that it would come w/ its original gig bag but it didn't (no biggie, I prefer having a hardshell case). Along w/ no soft case there was not an owner's manual or truss rod tool. BUT, it did come w/ a very nice set of Grover Locking Tuners from the previous owner (it was a surprise as it was not mentioned in the original sales post). Since I needed to buy a case I picked up the Gibson Multi-Tool (which I'm also happy w/) as a solution to not having the truss rod wrench.

--

The research I mentioned focused mainly on pricing and used/retail sources (return policies, customer support, etc.). So, I got a little worried after coming across the criticisms about quality issues and Gibson's overall direction - i.e. by this time I owned the guitar. Fortunately, there are many reviews/videos that emphasize how the Tribute is a good example of Gibson doing something right.

I do understand and agree w/ some of the criticisms - e.g. the "Robot" model. Additionally, some of the info I read/watched about their solvency as a business is concerning. Whatever happens, tho, I think "us owners of Les Paul Tributes" got a good lookin' and quality guitar.

**** I appreciate the original post (dk) and all the responses (esp. the link to the setup tips!) - very insightful and informative!!!! - Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Don't do it, The one in the store may feel and sound good, but the Les Paul Tribute Les Paul's are having notorious string buzz issues.

My friend has been going through hell with his new 2018 LP Tribute, the poor guy has waited 30 years to get his hands on a Les Paul, but he's never had much money, he even took out a loan to be able to get his LP Tribute.

The first one he had suffered from severe string buzz and loud hum from bad grounding connection, so he returned it for another 2018 LP Tribute and this one has worse string buzz issues than the other one, my friend even went so far as to pay a luthier for a professional set up and $65 later 95% of the buzzing was gone.

Weeks later after some regular day to day playing the buzzing came back, now he switched from the 9 hybrids to 11's thinking that would fix the buzzing but the guitar was not setup for 11's so the buzzing is still there....Now he told me he's going back to the luthiers and getting the guitar set up for 11's and replacing the nut as well.

The 2018 L.P. Tribute has been a time consuming money pit since he got it, and most people are blaming the current state of Gibson, and their employees being so miserable.....Who knows but I wouldn't purchase a new Gibson right now, no matter which model it is, maybe try finding an older model in mint condition.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Mick M said:

What's with the neck adjustment. Its got a thread where I was expecting allen key hexagon.

Gibson truss rods should take a narrow socket style wrench.  An adjustment that needed an Allen Wrench kind of tool would be an import